Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 PM

14 posts, read 29,652 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I plan to move back to the US from the UK (he's British) in about six months. He will work at the NY office of his London-based company.

I taught English for three years at a Governor's School in VA and have been overseas for a year and a half. Unfortunately I have not been able to teach here. I have a master's degree but was working on my certification when I left VA to come here.

I'm disheartened to read that it's very difficult to get a teaching job in New Jersey. I'm assuming things are still as bad as they were in 2007-2009 in regard to teaching? (Maybe worse...?) We've been looking at towns in the Northern New Jersey area and will visit this winter.

Teaching English as a second language is something I've considered even though I'd need to get the certification. I could possibly do that in London before I leave, but then I wouldn't have the contacts for job referrals....

Any info. so greatly appreciated--my husband and I want to make this move work and as I will be his sponsor on the visa application, it will be very helpful if I can find work before he comes over.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 08:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,860,614 times
If you haven't done so, you might post this on the NJ forum as readers on it might be more in tune with the employment situation and school district situation than the readers on the general education forum.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:03 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,273,256 times
But generally speaking, find any teaching position anywhere has become more difficult..particularly English, social studies, ect. Science / math combo might be easier? Even Special Ed positions are tough to come by in most parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching