Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:43 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,049 times

Advertisements

Tampa or St. Pete is one area I am considering. People are saying St. Pete if you wants beaches, but is it that much of a pain or that far to get there from Tampa? Or is it that the better (or any) beaches are in St. Pete?

I aks only because the mapped distance from Tampa to St. Pete says about 28 minutes to get there. Considering I have to drive 40 minutes minimum to get to a beach from here, that distance doesn't seem bad.

If I choose that Tampa/St. Pete area, I'd like to be near beaches, yet like somewhat of a nightlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 AM

626 posts, read 1,347,961 times
Its not that much of a pain if you dont have a problem commuting to the beach... Usually when somebody really wants to live near the beach and its a huge factor in their moving decision, they dont want to commute 40 mins to the beach... so if that is the case then you should live in the St Pete area where the beaches are about 5-15 mins away depending on which one you want to go to. St Pete is not the only place with beaches though--the whole coastline is beaches. Tampa does not have a beach on the Gulf, so any beaches they do have are on the inlet and arent too great.
If nightlife is more of a priority and you arent into the artsy scene then you'd much rather stay in Tampa... if the beaches and artsy scene are more of a priority, then Id say St Pete would be your best bet....It all depends on whats important to you!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:54 PM

23 posts, read 86,038 times
Default Thanks!

Wow, everyone. Thanks so much for all the responses. Keep 'em comin'.

The descriptions of St Pete attracting hippies made me giggle a little. I don't think of myself as a hippie and I don't think anyone who knows me would describe me that way. However, people wearing shorts and sandals in a bar wouldn't bother me. I think it's nice to get dressed up sometimes, but not all the time.

Right now I live in the DC Metro area and I feel like almost anywhere has to be more laidback than here. When I visited last week, everyone in Tampa was very friendly. When I told people I was thinking of moving, they were helpful and welcoming. So refreshing.

And being close to the beach will be nice, but 40 minutes is still MUCH closer than the three plus hours it takes me now. The blue water that you all have is something special.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:40 PM

428 posts, read 1,243,114 times
Part of the answer depends on what type of place you'd be living in.... e.g., since family home, condo, apartment- and do you want to rent, buy, or rent with anticipation of buying in the near future?

For example, there are several places you could rent in the Old NE, and basically be living in a good middle class neighborhood with tree lined streets, lots of tropical vegetation, etc. The bonus is that you are merely steps away from one of the best waterfront park systems around, and a short bike ride away from downtown and everything is has to offer. Personally, I think this is an enticing scenario; even if I were single I would prefer this than living directly in the middle of downtown and dealing with noise, parking, late night drunks, etc. Although, some people want to be in the thick of it.

Unfortunately, in all the areas you are talking about (and in general in the entire Tampa Bay area), once you leave the boundaries of the particular area you are in, all bets are off. Parts of central and south Pinellas County are very undesirable and the same is true over on the Tampa side. The only way to completely "protect" yourself is to hole up in a gated community deep in the suburban area, such as Westchase, Tampa Palms, etc. It really depends on what you are most interested in.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:19 AM

427 posts, read 1,093,187 times
1982, I was young but I actually remember my dad and I driving our brand new VW Vanagon back from Lindell Volkswagon. That was our family car for years to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
my dream vehicle is a Volkswagen bus and I

Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 AM

23 posts, read 86,038 times
Me again...
I will definitely be renting for at least the first year - so probably a condo or an apt. I do love the water, but I think I can be close to water in Tampa or St Pete. I won't have to worry about commuting b/c I'll be working from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: