Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:38 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
After my most recent visit to Bern's who clearly states that formal attire is required I've learned that in Tampa formal consists of Bermuda shorts, a Tommy Bahama T-Shirt, and a pair of sandals.
Where is this stated? Please cite your source.

"What is the dress code at Bern’s & SideBern’s?
The appropriate attire at either Bern's Steak House or SideBern's is business casual to semi-formal. We ask that no t-shirts, tennis shoes, flip-flops, shorts, or blue jeans be worn. If any of these items are worn to Bern’s, you may be seated in our lounge area instead of one of the dining rooms.

Jackets and ties are encouraged, but not officially required. It is quite common to see formal wear in our restaurants since we are fortunate to be visited often for special occasion meals."

Bern's Steak House > Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 08:41 AM

216 posts, read 829,100 times
I apologize in advance if anyone takes offense at this post. It is all reflective of my NY upbringing.

I went to a wedding yesterday, Saturday; the reception began at 5:30pm. I would think that were one to get an invite to a reception at the Hilton it would automatically set off a buzzer that the wedding was not inexpensive. Given the milieu and time of day I wonder why everyone didn't assume it warranted a certain level of dress.
I wore a dressy slacks outfit with sufficient bling and accessories. I had on plenty of makeup and dressed up my hair. My SO wore a beautiful suit and tie. We were appropriately dressed for the occasion.

My impressions:
The wedding party - all the women wore beautiful dresses and gowns, and the men wore tuxedos. They all looked great.

The guests' attire was a wide range of levels of dress. There were a few men in suits, some in sport jackets, with or without tie.
There were plenty of women in party/cocktail dresses. One other woman and I went the dressy slacks outfit route.

However: I saw one man in a nice short sleeved linen outfit, more suitable I think for something like a brunch or garden party, or dinner out. Then there were men in just long sleeved shirts, and others in polo shirts that weren't even pressed. They looked like they were dressed appropriately for a dinner at a fast food or pizza joint - this surprised me. I mean, it's an evening wedding at the Hilton; put on a nice shirt at least. Show a little respect for the occasion.
There were women in casual sundresses and unpedicured feet in flip flops. One had on a casual top that would have been ok had she been working in her garden. She had a worn out looking skirt that matched the top. A large number of the women had on dresses that were appropriate for work; a little too dressed down for a wedding but still OK.

All in all I'd say that most were dressed appropriately for the wedding. But I'd also say that a good 20% missed the mark completely. Not surprisingly these were mostly the younger guests although shame on the older ones who should know better. At least no one wore denim.

Apparently, dress codes do change by region. I've gone to plenty of weddings, bar mitzvahs, sweet 16s, etc. in NY and I've never seen guests dressed this way. Perhaps in NY it's overdone, but honestly, flip flops? Shabby clothes? Polo shirts?

Old 04-25-2010, 09:36 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar1lyn27 View Post
I apologize in advance if anyone takes offense at this post. It is all reflective of my NY upbringing.

I went to a wedding yesterday, Saturday; the reception began at 5:30pm. I would think that were one to get an invite to a reception at the Hilton it would automatically set off a buzzer that the wedding was not inexpensive. Given the milieu and time of day I wonder why everyone didn't assume it warranted a certain level of dress.
I wore a dressy slacks outfit with sufficient bling and accessories. I had on plenty of makeup and dressed up my hair. My SO wore a beautiful suit and tie. We were appropriately dressed for the occasion.

My impressions:
The wedding party - all the women wore beautiful dresses and gowns, and the men wore tuxedos. They all looked great.

The guests' attire was a wide range of levels of dress. There were a few men in suits, some in sport jackets, with or without tie.
There were plenty of women in party/cocktail dresses. One other woman and I went the dressy slacks outfit route.

However: I saw one man in a nice short sleeved linen outfit, more suitable I think for something like a brunch or garden party, or dinner out. Then there were men in just long sleeved shirts, and others in polo shirts that weren't even pressed. They looked like they were dressed appropriately for a dinner at a fast food or pizza joint - this surprised me. I mean, it's an evening wedding at the Hilton; put on a nice shirt at least. Show a little respect for the occasion.
There were women in casual sundresses and unpedicured feet in flip flops. One had on a casual top that would have been ok had she been working in her garden. She had a worn out looking skirt that matched the top. A large number of the women had on dresses that were appropriate for work; a little too dressed down for a wedding but still OK.

All in all I'd say that most were dressed appropriately for the wedding. But I'd also say that a good 20% missed the mark completely. Not surprisingly these were mostly the younger guests although shame on the older ones who should know better. At least no one wore denim.

Apparently, dress codes do change by region. I've gone to plenty of weddings, bar mitzvahs, sweet 16s, etc. in NY and I've never seen guests dressed this way. Perhaps in NY it's overdone, but honestly, flip flops? Shabby clothes? Polo shirts?
Dress codes don't change by region... some people just have more redneck friends then others....

I have been to weddings in NY/Long Island (where I am from) (also used to valet weddings in college on long island), GA (both atlanta and savannah), Florida (both tampa and orlando). every wedding is going to have the poorly dressed people. One wedding i went to in savannah was in forsyth park in front of the fountian, then the reception in this incredible old mansion. most were in suits and dresses, couple of polos, but there was one guy in a denim dale ernhardt jacket.

If people are that concerned, they need to make sure they specifically address the less classy members of the family. we all know we have them, no matter where you are from!

dress codes are clearly defined. people need to stop being sloppy and become more cognizant of what is appropriate for which occasion. if you are not sure, google is your friend!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:36 PM

737 posts, read 2,586,818 times
To those of you who are so elegantly inclined, please keep in mind that some of the "less-dressed" crowd have indeed donned their very best and cannot afford the designer duds, et al. They were invited because the couple, be it bride and groom or party-givers wanted their company.

If their gift is a token, it should definitely be afforded the same appreciation as the more expensive gifts given.

Been poor and won't forget "looks" from the rest of you that have your children that now clean my home and mow my lawn. Let us just be human beings and not judge.

Formal in FL is different than NY as it is is CA and IA and everywhere in between. And yes, I agree, you can never be overdressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: