Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:09 PM

7 posts, read 28,632 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Can anybody give my girlfriend and I some advice about the Kenwood neighborhood in St. Pete? Is it safe, what's to do around there? Any other neighborhoods where we should look to get a house? Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 02:19 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,765 times
Kenwood is quite popular and closer to downtown st pete. It has its share of ups and downs in recent decades, but look at this link for the historic kenwood info Historic Kenwood

Old 04-18-2010, 03:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Isnt that Kenwood area part of the hood?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:42 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,765 times
check the link

Old 04-18-2010, 06:27 PM

Checked the link and it seemed to say Kenwood area is east of 34th st to around 16th st and .south of 5th ave north, to around 5th ave south,did i get it wrong??

Old 04-18-2010, 06:59 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,307,416 times
Kenwood isn't as crime-ridden as it was even a decade ago. I think it be compared to Tampa's Seminole Heights, but with less grit. It's a very beautiful neighborhood.

It's boundaries are 34th Street to the west, 275 to the east, and I'd say Central to the south and maybe 9th Avenue to the north.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:11 AM

13 posts, read 36,601 times
Kenwood is very nice, there are some "up and coming" areas right around it, but it's a safe area. It's just a few miles outside of downtown and 10 minutes to Tyrone Mall and beaches. Downtown St. Pete has a large selection of shops, clubs, bars, and restaurants. There is always some kind of event/festival going on downtown. St Pete Beach also has a lot of arts and crafts/outdoor markets and there is a weekly saturday farmers market downtown as well.

You could also look at the neighborhoods which are just north of downtown for a similar feel to Kenwood which include:

Old NE Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Historic Uptown Historic Uptown Neighborhood - Saint Petersburg, FL
Crescent Lake Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Shore AcresModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-22-2013 at 06:45 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 02:37 PM

5,028 posts, read 7,230,264 times
Kenwood isn't part of "the hood" (whatever that means). It's as safe as any downtown neighborhood is.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Kenwood isn't part of "the hood" (whatever that means). It's as safe as any downtown neighborhood is.
How do you know its not part of the hood if you dont know what the term means?.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:06 PM

13 posts, read 30,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Kenwood isn't as crime-ridden as it was even a decade ago. I think it be compared to Tampa's Seminole Heights, but with less grit. It's a very beautiful neighborhood.

It's boundaries are 34th Street to the west, 275 to the east, and I'd say Central to the south and maybe 9th Avenue to the north.
I work within the area defined by Ferret and no it is not that safe. People on this forum say it's a safe area and by that they mean you don't get shot driving around, but come on.

- Once I was standing in line at a fast food place in the area and a couple of brothers told me I was in the wrong side of st. pete.
- I see drug dealers doing business in the area on a regular basis.
- I challenge you to walk around the area without being asked for pocket change.
- I see crazies hanging around gas stations yelling at random people all the time.
- My coworker’s car has been broken into a few times.
- Finding a “normal” parking lot in this area is a serious challenge. Some of them are flat out dangerous and have weird “designs.”
- People are always running across the street as if they are hoping to get lucky and get run over by a car.

Keep in mind that I moved here just a few months ago, and I have a fairly comprehensive list. And believe me when I say this to you, I have really tried to like this area and be easy going, but there are some serious issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay