Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 AM

40 posts, read 69,926 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting the Tampa area in the next few weeks and will be looking at different areas to live. For us, the commute is not an issue. My current commute time is an hour to an hour and a half each way. Plus, my experience has been to live where you like instead of making the decision on where you work (jobs can always change). In addition, We have the option to transfer with our current positions and both of our jobs will allow us to work from home. We are also looking at the Houston area.

We have no idea on what areas in Tampa we should look at. Education and having a great family experience is what we are looking for. We are a middle class African American family in our early 40s with 3 children (ages 9, 6, and 4). One thing about the area we currently live in that we really enjoy (and would like to find in the Tampa area) is the neighborhood. We know our neighbors really well. It's common for my kids to go over to our neighbor's houses to play, for dinner, sleepovers, etc. and vice versa.

Any suggestions on areas we should look at? We are looking for a single family home between $400k - $450k. New construction or something less than five years old. It would be great if we were in an area that had a library, movie theater, shopping (a grocery store, drug store, etc.), restaurants, a community centers and play grounds all within a short distance, but not close enough where you could see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,140,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandFamily View Post
I will be visiting the Tampa area in the next few weeks and will be looking at different areas to live. For us, the commute is not an issue. My current commute time is an hour to an hour and a half each way. Plus, my experience has been to live where you like instead of making the decision on where you work (jobs can always change). In addition, We have the option to transfer with our current positions and both of our jobs will allow us to work from home. We are also looking at the Houston area.

We have no idea on what areas in Tampa we should look at. Education and having a great family experience is what we are looking for. We are a middle class African American family in our early 40s with 3 children (ages 9, 6, and 4). One thing about the area we currently live in that we really enjoy (and would like to find in the Tampa area) is the neighborhood. We know our neighbors really well. It's common for my kids to go over to our neighbor's houses to play, for dinner, sleepovers, etc. and vice versa.

Any suggestions on areas we should look at? We are looking for a single family home between $400k - $450k. New construction or something less than five years old. It would be great if we were in an area that had a library, movie theater, shopping (a grocery store, drug store, etc.), restaurants, a community centers and play grounds all within a short distance, but not close enough where you could see them.

You will get lots of responses from people who are very knowledgeable regarding areas for your home price. One thing you may want to take into consideration is that property taxes in Tampa are probably higher than where you are coming from. Be sure to take this into consideration when determining how much you are going to spend on your home as it will effect your mortgage.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:09 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,908,195 times
You will find plenty of choices of areas to live that are nice with that price and less than that . It will all depend on what you like.
Taxes will not be as high as MD !
Eastland in this area is a nice place to live, as well as Oldsmar .

Old 04-12-2010, 01:25 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,085,878 times
Great public schools in Seminole and also proximity to beaches, good central county location for all Pinellas and not too bad for Tampa drive. Pinellas offers lots of variety for sport/hobbies/culture/dining/events etc and you can access most of the easily.
Also as Annie of Oldsmar says, North county/Palm Harbor/Oldsmar/Eastlake are good for schools too
Even some of the beaches now (Indian Rocks/Shores and parts of REdington I think are in Seminole School district - you have to check for sure) so you could live at the beach if you wanted and didn't mind the hurricane evacs (rare but they happen) and flood insurance (not had too much in the way of flooding for years, but you can't predict that). There is are a couple of great 2000 sq ft plus 3/3 townhome and single level condos for your price range just now, that would have been a lot higher 3 years back - good luck to you, hope you find the right place to move to. As for friendliness, I am certain you will find this in most locations here in the bay area.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:43 PM

101 posts, read 530,962 times
I recommend taking a look at the Westchase area. It's very community-feelish, family oriented with great schools, and close to the amenities you mentioned.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:47 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,908,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
You will find plenty of choices of areas to live that are nice with that price and less than that . It will all depend on what you like.
Taxes will not be as high as MD !
Eastland in this area is a nice place to live, as well as Oldsmar .
Sorry, it's Eastlake. Not Eastland

Old 04-12-2010, 06:33 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,085,878 times
I knew that Annie - but thought maybe you knew of a new place I had not heard of LOL

Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamia36 View Post
I recommend taking a look at the Westchase area. It's very community-feelish, family oriented with great schools, and close to the amenities you mentioned.
I second Westchase too, since it is closer to the beaches and the airport.

I'm African American and live in New Tampa. My family and I have been here for 7 years. There is lots of activities for kids. Neighborhoods to target would be Kingshyre, Covington, West Meadows, Hunter's Green, Arbor Greene, Seven Oaks, Live Oaks. Lots of really good people, fields, bike riding and walking areas.

I don't think you need to spend $400k-500k for a nice house though. You can get a great deal in the area if you do your homework. Good luck to you!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM

6 posts, read 10,488 times
My wife and I just bought in the Westchase area because although we dont have any kids yet, we were looking for a lot of the same amenities as you. Our budget wasnt as high as yours, but during our search we came across a ton of homes at your price range and lower that would easily handle a family of 5.

Its a beautiful area that offers a ton. There are people on here who know the areas better than me, but I figured I'd chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay