Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 06:21 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,952,634 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Hope everyone's enjoying the return to warm weather

I've lived in Tampa for seven years, but may be moving over to Pinellas for a job (I hate commuting more than a few miles for work and might be taking a job in St. Pete).

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a decent, beach neighborhood over there? I've played at the beaches plenty while living here, but I honestly don't know too much about the areas in Pinelleas living-wise. I love a good beach town (grew up in one up North) and have always wanted to move out to the beaches.

Anyone live in St. Pete Beach or Madeira, etc.? I've loved living in SoHo (Hyde Park) here in Tampa and something similar to that but on the beach would be fantastic.

I appreciate any recommendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,710,515 times
I don't think you will find anything like Soho on the beach but for neighborhoods I had a friend who lived just south of the Don CeSar and I thought it was a great area, I think that is Pass a Grille. Almost all residential though.
Another area was south of the Treasure Island Causeway at Sunset Beach.
Both these areas are small peninsulas and didn't get a huge amount of traffic but not too far from a few restaurants, bars and shopping a little further.
It has been a while since I have been down that way though.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:37 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,092,199 times
Indian Rocks is nice,but much slower with a few bars (some inhabited by younger people)
Clearwater attracts a younger group and parts of St Pte Beach
You might want to look at downtown St Pete and drive to the beach, you can at least walk to nightlife if you are in a condo in the city.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:15 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,952,634 times
Thanks for the info, guys. I've been doing a little fact finding and taking short trips over the bridge to check things out. SPB does seem very nice, espcially Pass-A-Grille. I don't really care about bars - I don't drink, and when you don't drink bars aren't really much of a good time...lol! I was looking more for the "village" feel and attractive surroundings. Much of the beach towns seem to have sections of that. I was also shocked with the low price of real estate over there! I'm a simple man, and just want a nice, small two bedroom home on the beach. They're way cheaper than I would've expected!

Old 04-14-2010, 12:44 PM

Then Pass a Grille is a good place, there are some reasonable two bedroom condos around, some townhome ones with garages, from $200s up.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:25 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,636,376 times
I'd suggest you also include the North Clearwater Beach area around Mandalay and the Carlouel Yacht club. It's close enough to entertainment but still a quiet residential area. If everything works in my favor, I'll snag one of the deals there soon! Can't wait to walk on the beach and watch the sunset from my own place.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:57 PM

596 posts, read 1,711,618 times
Indian Rocks Beach is a nice town also.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:00 AM

13 posts, read 36,665 times
You might want to take a look at Gulfport too...it's in between downtown and St. Pete Beach. I just had lunch there (really had never been to downtown Gulfport) and it is artsy/craftsy, tons of great looking restaurants and shops. I ate at Pia Trattoria and it was WONDERFUL. They have a patio to die for and the food was really delicious. I like the vibe of Gulfport more than St Pete Beach or Treasure Island. It's seems to be less old people and tourists and more of a "village". Seems to be a real community of creative people. I think Gulfport has a beach too, but if you wanted to head to St. Pete Beach, Treasure Island, or Pass a Grill, you'd only be 5-10 minutes away. Plus, the neighborhoods are old bungalows (and I never saw anything like that out on the gulf beaches).

I used to live on St Pete Beach (found it to be too old, touristy, and far away from everything). I now live downtown which I like better because of the vibe. My only complaint is bums and panhandlers. They seem to flock to downtown St. Pete.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I'd suggest you also include the North Clearwater Beach area around Mandalay and the Carlouel Yacht club. It's close enough to entertainment but still a quiet residential area. If everything works in my favor, I'll snag one of the deals there soon! Can't wait to walk on the beach and watch the sunset from my own place.
lucky you TampaKaren - wish I could do that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay