Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,694 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to Tampa from Paris/London, where I am used to eating out a lot and frequenting cafes. I'm wondering what are the very best cafes and restaurants you would recommend to get the very best out of the experience? I love exotic/spicy/haute/regional cuisine. I'm also wondering what are the most currently trendy neighborhoods to rent a flat in Tampa or the waterfront area? Many thanks and I look forward to the Florida sun!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 12:20 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,330,902 times
Please don't expect to find the types of Cafe's we have in Europe here...there are 2 places in Florida that "I" as European also can say they are "similar" but by far NOT the same...one in on Ocean Drive in Miami Beach and the 2nd at a MUCH smaller scale is in St. Armand's circle in Sarasota...Tampa doesn't have anything Paris/London look a like cafe's...You will have a bit of a cultural shock when you see it for yourself...

People here are not into that type of stuff simply because the culture here is Chain restaurants and eating after 7pm...and also because here it is generally too hot to enjoy being out like that......

Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM

17,581 posts, read 39,282,813 times
You should look south to Sarasota - we have a large and growing population of Europeans here, especially from France and UK. Many of them have opened cafes and bistros here. We even have friends from Belgium/France who recently relocated here (Cortez area) from the south of France! Sarasota has a LOT of wonderful unique restaurants of all types - Algia already mentioned St. Armand's Circle, but many more exist downtown and scattered all over town. Sarasota's downtown has several authentic French/Italian/Austrian bakeries as well. For such a small city, it really has a lot to offer. Not to mention some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

In Tampa, you will want to check out the neighborhoods in South Tampa and around Westshore for restaurants.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:28 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,763,473 times
Most cafes in Tampa can be found in Ybor City, Channelside, or Hyde Park villiage.

Trendy neighborhoods are South Tampa, Channelside, Davis Island, or Harbour islands and maybe even Downtown. Ybor City is an up-and-coming neighborhood aswell. A lot of new condos, and townhouses there.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:46 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,088,843 times
downtown St Pete too
Dunedin is quaint with a few cafes and nice to stroll around
Indian Rocks Beach has a few nice places you can sit outside and walk around from one to another, but more beachy than euro - though a fair chunk of euros eat and drink there

Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,393,972 times
Check out restaurant rows such as Main Street in Dunedin(like Kelly's...); or Beach Blvd in Gulfport(Backblue FIn, Pias...); or South Howard Ave/Hyde Park Village(Restaurant BT, Wine Exchange, Ceviche, 717 South, Mangroves...); Ybor City's 7th Avenue and surrounding blocks(El Puerto, Laughing Cat, Berninis, La Terraza, La Creperia, Tre Amici-Bunker....) Downtown St Pete's Central Ave/Beach Drive(400 Beach, Moon Underwater, La Brasserie, Bella Brava, Red Mesa Cantina, Fresco's.....); Armenia Avenue rom Columbus Drive to Busch Blvd will have a very international eateries..cuban, indian, mexican, spanish, italian, chinese, vietnamese.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:48 PM

451 posts, read 936,087 times
As per usual, TampaGuy's advice is golden. I lived in downtown Chicago for 8 years, living on the independent local fare crafted by some pretty impressive culinary establishments. After months (years now) of research, Tampa has precisely what I want for a continued enjoyment of an indie dining experience. Want top quality tapas with a Spanish-inspired environment? Visit Ceviche on South Howard in South Tampa. Want Thai food in its original sense, cooked by newly immigrated Thais that don't Americanize their cuisine? Check out Wat Tampa near Ybor on a Sunday. Want the best damn french fries and American-style food you've eaten? Hit up The Bungalow on Kennedy, a block East of Howard. Prefer a deli-style, New York experience for foodies? Datz Deli is your spot without a doubt.

In a city this size, good cuisine is always present-- finding it is the challenge. For any style of food you desire, there is fulfillment in Tampa. If you want to be within walking distance of some of Tampa's best, look for housing in South Tampa, specifically Hyde Park, SoHo, Palma Ceia and others. Oh, and always listen to TampaGuy's advice

Old 04-07-2010, 07:22 AM

17 posts, read 65,033 times
My favorites are:

Don Cesar Hotel for a Sunday brunch
The Greek restaurant in Ybor on 7th Ave (forgot the name)
Cafe Bistro in the International Mall
The dinner cruise that leaves from Channelside

and several more places in Hyde Park whose names I can't remember

Old 04-07-2010, 10:48 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,146,770 times
How is the Rusty Pelican?

Old 04-07-2010, 10:57 AM

17,581 posts, read 39,282,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
How is the Rusty Pelican?
I LOVE the Rusty Pelican! Haven't been there for a couple years, but it has great ambiance, great setting and I love the food! Give it a try!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay