Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 03:22 AM

433 posts, read 1,011,779 times

Advertisements

A while back I tried to make a decision between orlando, tampa, and south florida. Unable to do so I chose Daytona because of cheap rent and seasonal events. I figured I could figure out which area I liked best while I was down here.

It didn't work out. I spent the first few weeks job hunting and then worked and played never feeling I had the money to check out other places. I visited south florida once and had fun, and I visited orlando a few times and had fun.

Now Im ready to finally make the move that I origionally wanted to make. Daytona is not where I want to be.

Orlando seems to have better nightlife then tampa but Im not sure it's as accessible. You guys seem to have a few major nightlife districts with affordable housing right next to them.

With Orlando you have to find a good spot downtown because they only have one district (although its damn good) and then of course there is citywalk and all that too.Its rare to find an affordable room or ANY room downtown, ive tried.

Beyond that I work in the restaurant industry.Seems like Tampa has a ton of sprawl for that stuff and between tampa and st pete I could find something. Orlando has restaurant jobs too but there seems to be fewer options.

Orlando seems to have a stronger and longer lasting tourist season though.

Help me out here. Should a server looking for easy access nightlife choose tampa over Orlando?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 06:53 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
A while back I tried to make a decision between orlando, tampa, and south florida. Unable to do so I chose Daytona because of cheap rent and seasonal events. I figured I could figure out which area I liked best while I was down here.

It didn't work out. I spent the first few weeks job hunting and then worked and played never feeling I had the money to check out other places. I visited south florida once and had fun, and I visited orlando a few times and had fun.

Now Im ready to finally make the move that I origionally wanted to make. Daytona is not where I want to be.

Orlando seems to have better nightlife then tampa but Im not sure it's as accessible. You guys seem to have a few major nightlife districts with affordable housing right next to them.

With Orlando you have to find a good spot downtown because they only have one district (although its damn good) and then of course there is citywalk and all that too.Its rare to find an affordable room or ANY room downtown, ive tried.

Beyond that I work in the restaurant industry.Seems like Tampa has a ton of sprawl for that stuff and between tampa and st pete I could find something. Orlando has restaurant jobs too but there seems to be fewer options.

Orlando seems to have a stronger and longer lasting tourist season though.

Help me out here. Should a server looking for easy access nightlife choose tampa over Orlando?
I'd pick the Tampa Bay Area (which includes St. Pete). There are plenty of districts with nightlife and restaurants with affordable housing nearby. I think you will have better oppportunities for jobs in the industry there as well. This is a good area to live, IMO. Orlando is just too hectic.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:11 PM

I have a friend that will let me stay til i get on my feet. If tampa can keep me happy with easy access nightlife and an abundance of server jobs that can pay the bills then I could focus on tampa instead of commuting to orlando to set things up there.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:46 PM

69 posts, read 185,130 times
I'm a server also, and I will be moving to Tampa in August ... though I work at a chain restaurant for now and will likely transfer to a restaurant down there.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Im staying in clearwater right now. Im going to look at craigslist and see if there's anything on there that I want to try to hit while Im here, otherwise I will commute to orlando tomorrow and put in some applications.

I'm going to stay here for a few days, the question is if I should stick around here and bypass the commute and look for work or just commute to Orlando. If I wanted I could also go visit and stay with my friend down in south florida and test THAT job market.

I've worked pretty hard on my resume and have a big background in the restaurant industry, but my latest job I was only at for 4 months. I could get into another one of the same chains most likely, but not sure I want to.

I like walkable easy access nightlife. Orlando seems to have more entertainment and on a grander scale, but Tampa seems to have very easy access nightlife with housing that is affordable close by.

With Orlando it's expensive unless you find a room (which is fine by me if I find like minded people) but the rooms are not really out there for right in down town orlando.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:49 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
I have a friend that will let me stay til i get on my feet. If tampa can keep me happy with easy access nightlife and an abundance of server jobs that can pay the bills then I could focus on tampa instead of commuting to orlando to set things up there.
Yeah, Orlando is one really nice city, if you see what it has to offer. It's also central Florida, you don't have to worry about water surges.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah, Orlando is one really nice city, if you see what it has to offer. It's also central Florida, you don't have to worry about water surges.
Sounds like people are saying that despite the commute I should focus on Orlando. Is Tampa really THAT much worse of a choice than Orlando?

My priorities are:

1) Server job
2) Easy access nightlife
3) Friendly people
4) Easy to network
5) Good tech schools and colleges
6) Cool clubs
7) Abundance of choices for things to do
8) Population
9) Outdoor festivals, concerts, or events.
10) Beach
11) Great shopping and top notch malls

Old 04-03-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Sounds like people are saying that despite the commute I should focus on Orlando. Is Tampa really THAT much worse of a choice than Orlando?

My priorities are:

1) Server job
2) Easy access nightlife
3) Friendly people
4) Easy to network
5) Good tech schools and colleges
6) Cool clubs
7) Abundance of choices for things to do
8) Population
9) Outdoor festivals, concerts, or events.
10) Beach
11) Great shopping and top notch malls
The things you listed in your list in numbers I'll put them into what both city can offer.

Tampa & Orlando Both have these: 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11

Tampa Only: 1, 5, 10

Old 04-03-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
The things you listed in your list in numbers I'll put them into what both city can offer.

Tampa & Orlando Both have these: 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11

Tampa Only: 1, 5, 10
You see thats what I was thinking. Tampa has everything. I love orlando but it's such a commute to look for work from here. Maybe I should try out Tampa a bit especially to go for a quick score on the server job.

Im curious why did server not make the tampa and orlando list and only the tampa list? Do you feel it would be much easier for me to get a server job in tampa?

MAN you guys dont even KNOW how happy I am to be out of Daytona beach!!!!! At this point no matter what happens I really cant lose.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:
You see thats what I was thinking. Tampa has everything. I love orlando but it's such a commute to look for work from here. Maybe I should try out Tampa a bit especially to go for a quick score on the server job.

Im curious why did server not make the tampa and orlando list and only the tampa list? Do you feel it would be much easier for me to get a server job in tampa?

MAN you guys dont even KNOW how happy I am to be out of Daytona beach!!!!! At this point no matter what happens I really cant lose.
World book online, Wikipedia, and there are other big name companies that are not only head quartered in Tampa, but also have their host servers there as well. Orlando is still trying to diversify it's economy, and I can say with 80% chance of assurance that they wouldn't have as many server field jobs as compared to Tampa.

Also, Tampa is home to many other computer based companies. It has a strong presence of computer based work there. Jacksonville has a stronger base than Tampa for that, but server wise I feel Tampa is better and IT/computer consulting, I would say Jacksonville, but they both should level out at about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay