Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:27 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,568,482 times

Advertisements

I read a post here a long time about about St. Pete being under sea level and subject to flooding. Anyone have any real knowledge about this? And how susceptible are property owners in downtown St. Pete to having their property flooded or destroyed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 06:51 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I read a post here a long time about about St. Pete being under sea level and subject to flooding. Anyone have any real knowledge about this? And how susceptible are property owners in downtown St. Pete to having their property flooded or destroyed?
not much of downtown is in the flood zone. Pinellas County emergency management has the latest maps with evac and flood zones for the area.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:43 PM

388 posts, read 1,126,175 times
Pinellas County Emergency Management - Home Page

Old 03-30-2010, 01:50 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times
I'd like to know this too as my home in RI is currently flooding. At least the basement is.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:09 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Just remember, St. Pete is basically a peninsula off a peninsula - it is surrounded by water and all coastal towns here are only a few feet above sea level. Nothing is "below" sea level or we would be underwater, we don't have levees here. Parts of St. Pete are prone to flooding. there is potential for any city in Florida on the coast to be underwater in a bad enough hurricane.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:30 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,207 times
We dont have too many basements either, as it would be wet due to aquifer
If you are worried about location, and much of st pete is above flood zone, go farther inland, sometimes there is flooding on streets during really heavy storms, but its unusual for flooding unless there are really bad conditions - hurricanes, exceptional rainfall at same time as high tides.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:39 AM

428 posts, read 1,243,748 times
If you want to live near the water but don't want to be in a flood zone, St. Pete is the place. Our place is around 2500 feet from the bay, in the old NE, but we're still 16 feet above base flood elevation. The important characteristic in the Old NE to downtown area is the sloping of the land. You can see this downtown where the streets are wider- you can be several blocks inland and find yourself looking slightly down to see marina and boats in the distance. When it rains in our neighborhood, you can literally see the water running down the street toward the bay. I know we're good until the water starts coming back the other direction!

Other areas of Pinellas aren't so lucky. Not far from the Old NE is Snell Isle which I believe is in a flood zone. (On a map, it almost looks like dredged land, but I'm not sure if that is correct.) And I know that in the north part of the county, parts of Oldsmar are rather low-lying.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:06 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Most of Snell Isle even right up to the water is going to be 7-8 ft above sea level.
Shore Acres which is prone to flooding during storms is about the same.

Here is a topo map that you can find the elevation of any part of St Pete

St. Petersburg Ramble Topo Map

Old 04-06-2010, 08:23 AM

17 posts, read 56,023 times
I'm in unincorporated Pinellas, between Largo and Seminole, 1 3/4 miles from the Gulf and 50 ft. above sea level.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 11,975 times
If you really want a good idea of the elevation difference between the heart of St. Pete and the Bay, go to 22nd and 9th Street North on a clear winter day and look straight out at eye level and you can see all the way to Apollo Beach. Also, go to 49th Street and 30th Avenue N and look at the hill you are about to descend toward the Gulf. Disston Ridge is just about the highest area in St. Pete. If there ever was a Hurricane like Charley that came ashore on St. Pete, with a high tide, there would be an Island and it would be called Disston Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay