Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 05:32 PM

44 posts, read 146,393 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I may be making a move to the Tampa area which we are really excited about. However, we know nothing about the areas to live and which areas to not live. We have a 5 year old who will be in the 1st grade by the time we move.

We will start off by renting a home for a while. We would like to stay around $850-925 for rent. So my questions are, which areas have the best schools, is a very safe neighborhood and has homes to rent in our price range? In Columbus, Ohio, we have exactly that but I am just unsure how Tampa and Columbus compare.

My husband works in Sports Television production and I am a Massage Therapist so location to work isn't as much of a concern other than it would be nice to be closer to Tampa's Sports venues which I am assuming is downtown? And if we have the option to be picky we would like a neighborhood that is kind of alternative/liberal. But like I said safety and good schools are our priority. Any help would be grately appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 04:42 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,133,354 times
May I make a suggestion and say forget florida their unemployment rate is outrageous it is 8 % and you had better forget getting a nice home for rent for that price . With that rent price you will end up near the ghettos since most homes in nice areas rent from 1200 - 1800 a month . and the traffic is horendous and food is also outrageous . I would say stay in ohio if you can if not pick anywhere except florida . Your taxes are high and they are cutting public services such as police and fire and ambulance services . Nope I lived in florida for 23 yrs and have watched it go into the sewer slowly but steadfastly . Please i beg you dont go to florida and your child will not get a good education in a public school there since they are cutting the school budget as well . I am in Lexington ky and I love it here . good luck but I beg you stay away from florida.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:11 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,243,626 times
I would check out S. Tampa, Riverview or Brandon. S. Tampa being the closest to the sports venues but finding a house to rent for $925.00 might be difficult, but you might find a townhouse or apt in that price range. Brandon and Riverview are not as close but you might have better luck with finding a place to rent.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:11 PM

156 posts, read 494,250 times
I am not discouraging you from moving to Tampa, but keep in mind Florida ranks close to the bottom of the barrel when it comes to education. The high school graduation rate is around 64%. If you want your child to get a good education, you'll have to live in the better areas. You will have to reconsider your rent range. I think $1,200 - $1,500 is more realistic. Secondly, per capita, Tampa ranks among the highest in crime rate. It depends on where you live.

I don't live in Tampa, but on the Pinellas County side Seminole and Palm Harbor schools have a great reputation. Best of luck to you!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:10 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,585,025 times
Tampa Palms

Old 12-26-2008, 08:06 PM

9 posts, read 16,714 times
Default Question about Lake City & Gainesville Florida

I too live in Ohio and am considering relocating to the area. If anyone has any input, I would love to hear it. I'm a social worker, my kids are grown so school systems are not important. I am concerned about cost of living, rents (1 or 2 bedrooms), crime rates, cultural diversity...stuff like that. Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:17 AM

6 posts, read 12,584 times
Default Think twice about Florida

I would agree that you should think twice about moving to Florida. It use to be you could get a great house for a good price. Taxes were low and Forida was pretty cheap to live. It is not that way anymore. I can't think of a decent area you could rent a decent house for $950.00. You would probably have to get an apartment and it would be a small one at that. Jobs are hard to come by. Taxes have increased and wait till you get a load of what homeowners insurance cost when you go to buy a house. The Pinellas county school system is awful. They are closing schools, student population is declining, and your child wont get the education he/she could get up north. We are planning a move back to Pittsburgh in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay