Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 11:23 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Guy View Post
Closer to South Tampa. My son-in-law is based there in the Airforce.
Does he live on base or South Tampa or someplace else? Look at the map and figure out where they are. If they live off base, you won't be visiting MacDill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 01:55 PM

9 posts, read 14,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
This is generally true. You have to stick with an urban/suburban area. To be within an hour you’re limited to one of the communities around Tampa Bay or Sarasota (an hour without traffic.) South Tampa is probably your best bet because they’ve got the best schools in the area. The downside is it’s expensive relative to the rest of the area.
Thank you. That is good information.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Look into FishHawk - Lithia. Good schools, within an hour of Tampa, and someone easy access to Polk County if your job will be that way. Or even Hillsborough Community College campuses. I have two friends teaching there full time and really enjoying it.
But if you will have to commute to Tampa (depending on location but centrally) for work daily you might not enjoy traffic much as it's a nightmare to get in and out during peak hours.
South Tampa is very nice but expensive.
This is all very good and gives me some jumping-off points. I appreciate it.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlechurch View Post
I would also recommend looking into the Fishhawk-Lithia-Riverview area as well as up in Wesley Chapel and maybe even Dade City. The schools are decent and the drive to where your other children are is not that bad at all, easily within the hour range most of the day. The only issue is those are not really "towns", but rather suburbs. That may not even be an "issue" for you, but if you are looking for a "small town feel" then you would be better to look a bit further afield, perhaps Lakeland or Plant City. You should look into Charter Schools in the area, generally they are better than the local public school, but they are also free.
All very good information. A suburb is fine. I just don't want to be living within the urban core. Too fast-paced for me.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Does he live on base or South Tampa or someplace else? Look at the map and figure out where they are. If they live off base, you won't be visiting MacDill.
Yeah, they live off-base about 5 mins away in South Tampa.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:07 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Take a look at Lakeland - the city where I now reside. It has a small town charm and feel while being a small city. Very friendly, especially family friendly. Many beautiful parks, preserves and recreational facilities, way more than most towns of this size. And location: a relatively easy drive to Tampa, well under an hour depending where you are and time of day. My hubby used to commute to downtown (40 minutes) before he retired. For schools, the best are in south Lakeland also know as Lakeland Highlands, but there are good private schools as well. And of course, a very easy drive to Disney!

ETA: Lakeland has some small colleges including Florida Southern College (named most beautiful in Florida by Princeton Review - it is all Frank Lloyd Wright architecture) Southeastern University and Florida Polytechnic University which is ranked the #1 college in the south.

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2022, 07:07 PM

417 posts, read 267,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Guy View Post
My wife and I are looking at moving to the Tampa area from coastal Washington. This is her idea, and I know little about the area besides the two week-long trips I have made there in the past few months.

What I am looking for is a smaller-ish town within an hour of Tampa that has a decent cost of living, lower crime and decent schools as I have a 10 year old. My plan is to continue working in higher ed, most likely at a community college in the area.

Any suggestions of communities I should investigate? Being within a short trip to Tampa is key as she wants to be near her children living there.
Check Temple Terrace. Nice well-established city with suburbs designed around an historic golf course. Close to the University of South Florida and Hillsborough Community College. Also, home to the private Florida College. Quick and easy access to MacDill via interstate/expressway. Incorporated City with own Police and FD.

I would not recommend any Hillsborough Public school, but there are many highly rated public funded charter schools as well as some very good private schools to look into

Old 02-04-2022, 06:29 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Temple Terrace location is good but schools... Only if private school is considered!

Old 02-04-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
Check Temple Terrace. Nice well-established city with suburbs designed around an historic golf course. Close to the University of South Florida and Hillsborough Community College. Also, home to the private Florida College. Quick and easy access to MacDill via interstate/expressway. Incorporated City with own Police and FD.

I would not recommend any Hillsborough Public school, but there are many highly rated public funded charter schools as well as some very good private schools to look into
Awesome! Thank you. This is the information I needed. It's discouraging to hear everyone point away from public schools. I'm not interested in private schools and not a fan of charter schools, but I may have to rethink my stance.

Old 02-04-2022, 01:52 PM

5,224 posts, read 3,014,614 times
One place to check out is Hernando County. Depending on where you live there you can be to Tampa in a hour if you take the express way. There are also good private and charter schools there. Its suppose to have higher crime rates but we havent experienced it nor do we know anyone that has. Youll see the occasional homeless person but youll see more in Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay