Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:04 AM

57 posts, read 190,922 times

Advertisements

One of the areas we're looking at houses is in New Tampa. I can't find it on a map anywhere and all of the addresses within New Tampa are just listed as Tampa. I don't know much of anything about this area except that it's growing. I've been to Engle homes in Live Oak Preserve.

Anything anyone can tell me about this city/community, builder or neighborhood would be greatly appreciated. I'm curious about traffic, taxes, things to do, schools, etc. (By things to do, I'm just thinking about "family" stuff, golf ranges, play centers, etc. I understand that it's the suburbs and that's ok. ) Also, how far of a commute is it to downtown Tampa during rush hour?
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,391,601 times
Here is all about New Tampa...
New Tampa, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd say an hours drive in Rush Hour to downtown(i used to drive opposite direction before i started working from home and traffic looked bad, and slow moving).

Typical suburbs, gated community's, all built within the past 10 years, infrastructure(roads) are slow to keep up with growth, big boix and chain retail, restaurants, lots of good parks(Wilderness Park System)

Old 01-25-2008, 08:57 AM

849 posts, read 3,533,266 times
Default roughley north

of USF and east of Bruce B Downs. as you go north past Amberly, it gets nicer and is both sides of BBD. you don't want west of BBD below Amberly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camisis View Post
One of the areas we're looking at houses is in New Tampa. I can't find it on a map anywhere and all of the addresses within New Tampa are just listed as Tampa. I don't know much of anything about this area except that it's growing. I've been to Engle homes in Live Oak Preserve.

Anything anyone can tell me about this city/community, builder or neighborhood would be greatly appreciated. I'm curious about traffic, taxes, things to do, schools, etc. (By things to do, I'm just thinking about "family" stuff, golf ranges, play centers, etc. I understand that it's the suburbs and that's ok. ) Also, how far of a commute is it to downtown Tampa during rush hour?
Thanks so much!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:28 AM

A sales consultant at the Engle homes said something about how it's much better than Brandon because the traffic is so much worse around Brandon. Just from what I've seen, that didn't make a lot of sense to me, but I'm not that familiar with it.

What you said, Tampaguy03 makes sense about roads not being able to keep up with growth. I'm from metro Atlanta so I'm sort of used to that. An hour's drive doesn't sound so good though! I liked the thought of the Crosstown taking about 15-20 minutes from Brandon. That's something to think about. I did notice that as soon as I left the neighborhood and was heading to the interstate, I ended up in Pasco County. It was literally five minutes to the line! I didn't realize it was that far.

So would yall say it's close to Lutz? Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

jessiesma, What's below Amberly? Would you say New Tampa is a nice area to live?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:50 AM

Default camisis

I'm a city girl but yes, I'd say it's a nice suburb. The usual suburban shopping and restaurant mix. pretty good schools. If that's what you want it's nice. It retains some tropical feel with lots of palm trees. the landscaping is beautiful.
Sorry, Amberly Drive is a street not too far north of USF but that's where things get really nice. Lutz is close but a little further off the expressway.
Don't believe 15-20 min on the Crosstown. Traffic is a mess. That means from when you gt on the Crosstown with luck. To get to the Crosstown from an area comparable to New Tampa could be another 20 minutes. I dpon't think it's as bad a sAtlanta yet. I's have to go back and reread your OP. Are you locked into one of those places? If you're working downtown try Hyde Park or one of the other South Tampa neighborhoods.

Quote:
A sales consultant at the Engle homes said something about how it's much better than Brandon because the traffic is so much worse around Brandon. Just from what I've seen, that didn't make a lot of sense to me, but I'm not that familiar with it.

What you said, Tampaguy03 makes sense about roads not being able to keep up with growth. I'm from metro Atlanta so I'm sort of used to that. An hour's drive doesn't sound so good though! I liked the thought of the Crosstown taking about 15-20 minutes from Brandon. That's something to think about. I did notice that as soon as I left the neighborhood and was heading to the interstate, I ended up in Pasco County. It was literally five minutes to the line! I didn't realize it was that far.

So would yall say it's close to Lutz? Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

jessiesma, What's below Amberly? Would you say New Tampa is a nice area to live?

Old 01-25-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
I'm a city girl but yes, I'd say it's a nice suburb. The usual suburban shopping and restaurant mix. pretty good schools. If that's what you want it's nice. It retains some tropical feel with lots of palm trees. the landscaping is beautiful.
Sorry, Amberly Drive is a street not too far north of USF but that's where things get really nice. Lutz is close but a little further off the expressway.
Don't believe 15-20 min on the Crosstown. Traffic is a mess. That means from when you gt on the Crosstown with luck. To get to the Crosstown from an area comparable to New Tampa could be another 20 minutes. I dpon't think it's as bad a sAtlanta yet. I's have to go back and reread your OP. Are you locked into one of those places? If you're working downtown try Hyde Park or one of the other South Tampa neighborhoods.

We're still in the hunting stages, not locked in anywhere yet. Although we're looking anywhere from Lutz all the way down to Ruskin. Although, my personal preference is Brandon. It's got the Jewish preschool I want for my son and it seems less busy but I'm wondering if I'm disillusioned.

From what my husband tells me, South Tampa is very expensive. We are looking in the burbs because we'd get more for our money. I teach and I want to be in a good school. I've been working with struggling kids who have difficult home lives for over four years and while I love the kids, it's exhausting. I come home to have nothing left. I don't necessarily prefer the super brilliant kids, maybe just average would be fine! I guess that sounds terrible and I don't mean to say that I'm a bad teacher to struggling kids, it's just very demanding because you're not only their teacher, you're their parent, disciplinarian ... the one who has to teach them manners, respect and about life on top of everything in the curriculum. Ideally, I'd like to be in a private school just so I could stop teaching FCAT classes. I'm so tired of FCAT I could puke.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:47 AM

367 posts, read 1,690,019 times
[quote=Camisis;2620251]A sales consultant at the Engle homes said something about how it's much better than Brandon because the traffic is so much worse around Brandon. Just from what I've seen, that didn't make a lot of sense to me, but I'm not that familiar with it.

quote]

well they would say that if they are trying to sell their homes in New TAmpa

Old 01-25-2008, 12:01 PM

[quote=spainbrit;2621704]
Quote:

quote]

well they would say that if they are trying to sell their homes in New TAmpa

I know! I thought of that too! That's why I threw it out there, just in case he was right. He lives in Brandon though ... I always want to ask these consultants, where do you live and why don't you live in a (input appropriate builder's name) home if they're so great?

So do you think he was really full of crap? Do you think there's more traffic in New Tampa or in Brandon?

Old 01-25-2008, 01:30 PM

367 posts, read 1,690,019 times
I think there is as much traffic in both places, if you have to drive from one to the other, either way it's going to be busy in mornings. Both have good and bad, but Brandon does have a nice shopping mall and you can get out of town pretty quickly on highways, but then you can access I-75 pretty easily from N. Tampa. Drive around both and see which looks better to you. There are plenty of large subdivs with offers on just now, be careful to read the small print on contracts ( and they are very lengthy these developer ones) and if you don't like them, see if you can get them changed or don't sign.

It's not a sellers market now, so they might be more open to rewriting to get your signature

Old 01-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Default so my sister

Tampa has a wonderful Jewish montessori preschool at our shul. I'll send details after Shabbat. Also there are day schools in both Tampa and St. Pete.
Don't know how religious you are but the Chabad rabbis are cool with driving but all you'll really have in Brandon is Reform. There is a Chabad in Brandon but small and not every week. Tampa and St. Pete (Pinellas Co. schools) have more choice. I'll also let you know about public schools. I'd say get your job first because that could determine where you live. This is a huge area and the school district is County wide not city based. There are places you don't want to go. Bradenton is Manatee co. schools and they are the highest payers in the state. sounds liek one fo the day schools would suit you better tho.

Quote:
We're still in the hunting stages, not locked in anywhere yet. Although we're looking anywhere from Lutz all the way down to Ruskin. Although, my personal preference is Brandon. It's got the Jewish preschool I want for my son and it seems less busy but I'm wondering if I'm disillusioned.

From what my husband tells me, South Tampa is very expensive. We are looking in the burbs because we'd get more for our money. I teach and I want to be in a good school. I've been working with struggling kids who have difficult home lives for over four years and while I love the kids, it's exhausting. I come home to have nothing left. I don't necessarily prefer the super brilliant kids, maybe just average would be fine! I guess that sounds terrible and I don't mean to say that I'm a bad teacher to struggling kids, it's just very demanding because you're not only their teacher, you're their parent, disciplinarian ... the one who has to teach them manners, respect and about life on top of everything in the curriculum. Ideally, I'd like to be in a private school just so I could stop teaching FCAT classes. I'm so tired of FCAT I could puke.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-25-2008 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: PM me messages are not allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay