Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 01:40 PM

30,729 posts, read 21,598,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
My fiance and I are Florida natives.
We're planning on moving north in a couple of years to get away from the constant heat.

I'm originally from Miami, so I am glad that Tampa has some cool weather in the winter, but we are both very tired of the constant heat.

We don't mind high heat in the summer as long as we get the other seasons. Some snow would be great.
Our winters here will keep getting warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 02:38 PM

2,509 posts, read 1,863,209 times
Southern Georgia has some really nice winter variability without the snow. If you want to experience some cold, but none of the snow, it makes for a good middle ground.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:05 PM

7,748 posts, read 6,543,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
S FL lost it all a long time ago. Its just a mess of highways, huge density of people and a whole lot of discord.
Sadly it did. Though I do know plenty of old school South Floridians which have noticeable southern accents and remember a time when it was more laid back. I think the problem with Florida, is that the people who moved there, moved there with a mindset that they weren't going to adapt to the local's lifestyles, they were going to bring their attitudes from New York or Philadelphia with them. They brought the hustle and bustle, the rudeness, etc. down to what was a very laid back southern coastal area. There was a clash. Here in Texas, we also got tons of transplants, and those who try to change the way things are done and bring negative attitudes here and bad habits (driving like a Massachusetts-hole ) aren't tolerated or well liked. Migrants to Texas tend to adapt to Texas lifestyles more than migrants to Florida.

I know tons of northerners and west coasters in Texas who actually have southern accents. A few people from NJ, someone from Cali, someone else from Illinois. They adapted southern accents and embraced a more Texas lifestyle. Modern transplants to Florida usually don't do that. Though it's already been like that for generations, so there's not much of a southern lifestyle to blend into. Older migrants to Florida adapted more. I had a high school teacher from California who moved to Florida decades ago and got a southern accent and southern culture, as well as one from Chicago.

And nothing against northerners, it's just if I'm gonna be up north, I wanna be immersed with the local northern culture, and if I'm gonna be down south, I wanna be immersed with the local southern culture. I don't care much for living in the south, but damn if I'm gonna be down here I might as well hear a "Y'all come back now, ya hear?" instead of some New Jersey guido cussin' from his car because I didn't let him cut in front of me!

Old 07-19-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
My fiance and I are Florida natives.
We're planning on moving north in a couple of years to get away from the constant heat.

I'm originally from Miami, so I am glad that Tampa has some cool weather in the winter, but we are both very tired of the constant heat.

We don't mind high heat in the summer as long as we get the other seasons. Some snow would be great.
I passed by Tampa for the first time ever on July 13th, on my way to visit family in Miami. I found the city so much prettier than Miami. The suburbs, though some of the ones we passed by were a bit "meh" overall looked way nicer. Not as many ugly stucco homes down there. And the buildings downtown were beautiful too.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:26 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,208,413 times
I do agree with you. When we came down from NYC 27 years ago we were more than happy to blend in and assimilate. We wanted nothing to do with the NYC attitude, the thinking or the way people operated there. Its a pretty cut throat place.

While I didnt pick up a southern accent I did learn how to kick back and relax instead of being in high gear all the time. My driving habits changed to where I'd be waving the other guy through a 4 way stop, leave space while waiting for a light change so someone coming out of a driveway can get into traffic. Little things that make life more pleasant for me and those around me. It's such a nicer way to live. Sure, I run into a loudmouth butt head every now and then but, at least where I live, the mindset is more in tune with friendliness and respect for others. Its not perfect but it is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Sadly it did. Though I do know plenty of old school South Floridians which have noticeable southern accents and remember a time when it was more laid back. I think the problem with Florida, is that the people who moved there, moved there with a mindset that they weren't going to adapt to the local's lifestyles, they were going to bring their attitudes from New York or Philadelphia with them. They brought the hustle and bustle, the rudeness, etc. down to what was a very laid back southern coastal area. There was a clash. Here in Texas, we also got tons of transplants, and those who try to change the way things are done and bring negative attitudes here and bad habits (driving like a Massachusetts-hole ) aren't tolerated or well liked. Migrants to Texas tend to adapt to Texas lifestyles more than migrants to Florida.

I know tons of northerners and west coasters in Texas who actually have southern accents. A few people from NJ, someone from Cali, someone else from Illinois. They adapted southern accents and embraced a more Texas lifestyle. Modern transplants to Florida usually don't do that. Though it's already been like that for generations, so there's not much of a southern lifestyle to blend into. Older migrants to Florida adapted more. I had a high school teacher from California who moved to Florida decades ago and got a southern accent and southern culture, as well as one from Chicago.

And nothing against northerners, it's just if I'm gonna be up north, I wanna be immersed with the local northern culture, and if I'm gonna be down south, I wanna be immersed with the local southern culture. I don't care much for living in the south, but damn if I'm gonna be down here I might as well hear a "Y'all come back now, ya hear?" instead of some New Jersey guido cussin' from his car because I didn't let him cut in front of me!

Old 07-19-2015, 04:27 PM

135 posts, read 208,881 times
When people share their experiences and what they have learned in life, it should not be looked at as complaining. Why are so many peoples psyches ready to challenge and rebut what people may blog? It is so closed minded not to be open to listen.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I do agree with you. When we came down from NYC 27 years ago we were more than happy to blend in and assimilate. We wanted nothing to do with the NYC attitude, the thinking or the way people operated there. Its a pretty cut throat place.

While I didnt pick up a southern accent I did learn how to kick back and relax instead of being in high gear all the time. My driving habits changed to where I'd be waving the other guy through a 4 way stop, leave space while waiting for a light change so someone coming out of a driveway can get into traffic. Little things that make life more pleasant for me and those around me. It's such a nicer way to live. Sure, I run into a loudmouth butt head every now and then but, at least where I live, the mindset is more in tune with friendliness and respect for others. Its not perfect but it is good.
You live in a nicer part of Florida. Drivers in S. Florida are just the worst, tied with drivers in S. Louisiana. My aunt always talks about how bad I-75 is and how dangerous it is but I prefer driving on it way more than I-95. I-95 in Miami is like a circus, but I-75 outside of Miami and up to I-10 by Live Oak is a far more pleasant drive.

I grew up in Florida, and I dunno if I'd say I have a southern accent, besides a few words and vowel sounds, like the long I. But after living in Texas for only a handful of months, I sound more southern by the day

Old 07-19-2015, 05:42 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,957,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Our winters here will keep getting warmer.
That wouuld be nice. There are a handful or two of days that I find too cold in the winter.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:01 AM

473 posts, read 547,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
That wouuld be nice. There are a handful or two of days that I find too cold in the winter.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:12 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,533,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
You live in a nicer part of Florida. Drivers in S. Florida are just the worst, tied with drivers in S. Louisiana. My aunt always talks about how bad I-75 is and how dangerous it is but I prefer driving on it way more than I-95. I-95 in Miami is like a circus, but I-75 outside of Miami and up to I-10 by Live Oak is a far more pleasant drive.
Florida has no claim on the status of worst drivers as in my travels i find drivers are bad everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay