Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 08:39 AM

19 posts, read 27,014 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating from Queens, NY to New Tampa in November. My son is 3 and was born in late October, so I see that he will have to start Kindergarten when he is 5 going on 6 because of the age requirements. In NY, he would be eligible to start at 4 in September, because he turns 5 the following month.

Do you find an issue with your kids being maybe too mature for kindergarten if they are a Fall/Winter baby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:44 AM

877 posts, read 1,915,217 times
He can start VPK here when he is 5. I think that happens whenever there is a cut-off and I don't know of anywhere where there is not some sort of cut-off.

My son is an October birthday as well so he will start pre-school at 3.5/4 and VPK the following year, followed by Kindergarten at 6. He will be bigger and more mature than his classmates and I don't think that will be a bad thing for him.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:08 AM

Thanks for your feedback! In NYC, we have the option to send them to Kindergarten in September even if they are 4 as long as they turn 5 before the following January. We also have the option to have them wait to attend the following year instead, as well, it's called "redshirting".

Maybe it's better that my son be older than most of the kids rather than younger, like you mentioned...I know I'm probably thinking about it too much, but just wanted to see how others viewed it.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,618,028 times
I have two of them like that, and I think it is a great thing! They have a much better chance at comprehension, so we're pretty happy with that.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:04 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,618,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewabby View Post
He can start VPK here when he is 5. I think that happens whenever there is a cut-off and I don't know of anywhere where there is not some sort of cut-off.

My son is an October birthday as well so he will start pre-school at 3.5/4 and VPK the following year, followed by Kindergarten at 6. He will be bigger and more mature than his classmates and I don't think that will be a bad thing for him.
If he turns 4 in October of 2014, then in August of 2015 he can start VPK.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
If he turns 4 in October of 2014, then in August of 2015 he can start VPK.
Thank you very much!

Old 02-28-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I have two of them like that, and I think it is a great thing! They have a much better chance at comprehension, so we're pretty happy with that.
And thank you for your feedback!

Old 03-01-2014, 11:57 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,802,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaNY View Post
My family and I will be relocating from Queens, NY to New Tampa in November. My son is 3 and was born in late October, so I see that he will have to start Kindergarten when he is 5 going on 6 because of the age requirements. In NY, he would be eligible to start at 4 in September, because he turns 5 the following month.

Do you find an issue with your kids being maybe too mature for kindergarten if they are a Fall/Winter baby?
My son was almost 6 when he started kindergarten. (He had an early December b-day.) I am a teacher, and I had no problem at all with that. It is so much better to be older when starting kindergarten - especially for boys. There will be a greater chance that a little boy will be developmentally ready for academic learning than his just-turned-5 year old peers. My son has always had an easy time learning things in school because his brain was mature and developmentally ready for whatever was presented.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:22 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,815,202 times
I think it depends on the particular child and his/her readiness for school. My oldest child is the youngest in class and doing as good as other children. My younger one should be the youngest one in his class as well, but at this point I am not sure if it's going to be a good idea to let him start school as he supposed to, but we will see.

In case we were missing a deadline with the oldest child, I would really consider enrolling her in private school for a year, so she could transfer grade to grade the following school year without loosing a year. It's just because she is ready for school and keeping her in daycare wont do any good for her.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:33 PM

Thank you so much for your advice, it makes a lot of sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay