Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 02:29 PM

30 posts, read 55,109 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking for an IT job in the Tampa area. We were hoping for a transfer from his current company but it doesn't look like that's going to happen but we're still determined to move this summer and go it solo. He is a Network Engineer (Jr.) and prefers a large company, although when it gets down to it beggars can't be choosers. All of his certs are current (A+, CCNA and a couple of other smaller ones). We will look into the contracting companies like TekSystems but only as a last resort. If any one knows of any tech job boards or anything else that might be helpful, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 03:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Look like hubby wont have a problem securing a job as a netwofk engineer in Tampa,, the pay might be another matter.
https://www.google.ca/#q=network+eng...fl&safe=active

Old 02-15-2014, 06:18 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
He probably won't have a problem finding work, but depending on where you're coming from the pay will be lower. As a general rule IT jobs in this area pay from 15%-30% less than in northern/midwestern states. If he has a particular specialty that's less likely, as DBAs and Linux folks command higher salaries here than the "rank and file" IT folks, for example.

IT security is good, but around here if you don't have a current security clearance you won't have a lot of luck finding a job, as most of the security related positions are with contractors that service the DoD at MacDill AFB.

RM

Old 02-15-2014, 09:28 PM

819 posts, read 1,409,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgfitz View Post
He is a Network Engineer (Jr.) and prefers a large company, although when it gets down to it beggars can't be choosers. All of his certs are current (A+, CCNA and a couple of other smaller ones).
I think he'd be much better off at a smaller company. I'm not trying to be rude, but having multiple certs typically suggests someone who doesn't have the work experience and is trying to either show they know what they're doing or land a great job that takes advantage of what they know. I hire people now, and I used to be in that same position long ago where I had certs from Microsoft, Sun and Cisco. A large company is going to pigeon hole him into one niche area, making everything else he knows go to waste, and/or he won't gain breadth for his resume which may get boring after a while. A small company, but big enough to pay well and be stable, will often let him make use of all the various things he knows and play a much more critical role and then he gets to choose what he specializes in instead of taking what is available.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:28 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
I would tend to agree.

While I am no longer in a position where I hire or interview prospective employees, from my experience someone with a litany of letters after their name suggests to me that they're not terribly focused. Granted, if they are all in one general subject area that's one thing, but when they're all over the map it's a matter of concern for me.

I have A+, Security+, Network+, Server+ and a CCNA. I'll soon have a CISSP, which sort of wraps all the others into it in a sense.

If I had an MSEE or something of that sort I would consider it to be tangential to my career path, for example.

RM

Old 02-16-2014, 06:03 PM

30 posts, read 55,109 times
We're from the south so there won't be much of a salary difference I believe. He was aiming for a larger company because it's easier to climb higher with more opportunities as opposed to a smaller company where you have to wait for other people to leave, retire, etc. before you can climb higher. He would be ok with both, just has a preference is all. He has A+, Net+, Security+, CCNA, and Windows 7 and is wanting to get into security. He is kind of a jack of all trades as he doesn't have formal college education and has worked his way up, but it seems his current certs are in line with one focused path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay