Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:39 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

One of my family members has Bright House and her HOA is going to replace it for Verizon.

This will cost her more then $45 to keep what she has right, per month!!!

She was looking for a different option and I told her that I heard of TiVo and other option that may be possible and cheaper but I have no clue how it works.

Twice employees from bright House have come to my house and told us that they have told others to eliminate these boxes and get a recordable box that you buy and which is cheaper but can someone explain how that works?

She has two tv's and has one HDTV DVR box and the other one she has basic cable and she can watch movies on Netflix.

She doesn't need a home phone but just internet so we were trying to find out what the cheapest way could be and I know that many posters have been very helpful and have knowledge about these things so I would like to get some great advise...

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:52 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,546 times
I have Brighthouse and a smart TV and along the same idea my cable guy says I don't even need my BH boxes. I could be wrong, but as long as you have the internet from BH you can add devices wirelessly. Probably the device you're going to get (a store bought dvr) will have to have a BH password (mine is found on the pink customer copy of the install) entered into it at setup and it will recognize the network and start working.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:02 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
With FIOS it may be cheaper to get a bundle with the home phone (even if you don't need it) than getting internet and tv without it. At least that was my expererience, as I had FIOS for 7 years before moving here.

$45 a month is a huge difference. How did this get approved or whatever by the HOA if everyone is going to have such a massive increase?

Old 02-11-2014, 07:15 PM

Thanks both of you for your reply!

They have a HOA meeting scheduled for upcoming Monday to inform what and why and who approved this.

It is a huge increase for a young person or actually for anyone and with Verizon you need two boxes or your tv will go black and no images can be seen unless you watch Netflix only on it.

How would you be able to get the code unless someone gives it to you?

Does anyone have experience with TiVo compared to Bright House HDTV DVR?

Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 PM

No experience with Tivo, but I have to say FIOS was the best tv/internet package I've ever had. I truly miss it.

As far as Tivo you would have to rent a cablecard from the provider (whether it's BHN or Verizon) for a monthly fee to make it work. Of course, you have to buy the HD Tivo unit itself and pay the Tivo subscription. I don't see it being cheaper...

Old 02-11-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
No experience with Tivo, but I have to say FIOS was the best tv/internet package I've ever had. I truly miss it.

As far as Tivo you would have to rent a cablecard from the provider (whether it's BHN or Verizon) for a monthly fee to make it work. Of course, you have to buy the HD Tivo unit itself and pay the Tivo subscription. I don't see it being cheaper...
What you are saying brings back some memory of what the tech guy mentioned to me and probably the reason we didn't want to change it. If the TiVo box gets issues we can't just swap it out as we can right now.

A lot of HOA communities are canceling bright House after years of having a service contract so the same thing may happen to us and I know Verizon had a good product but I hated and still dislike their customer service and try to stay away from them due to my past experience but at the same time I'm trying to help out to save her some money with other options but it seems there aren't that many better options...

Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 PM

If she lives alone and wants to have two televisions, maybe one in the living room and one in the bedroom - there is a way to get by with one box by using a Slingbox or a wireless HDMI transmitter and the Verizon FIOS app on a cellphone to work as a remote from an adjacent room.

But, from what I recall a standard HD box was only like $8-$10 per month so it's alot of effort to save a little bit a month, plus you'd have to buy the Slingbox or the HDMI wireless gear. Maybe it's best to sit tight until after this meeting takes place and take it from there.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:00 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
With FIOS it may be cheaper to get a bundle
I agree with bentlebee. I cannot envision many scenarios where FIOS is cheaper than BrightHouse. When they were installing in my neighborhood, I was visited almost weekly about a half-dozen times by FIOS door-to-door salesmen to spout lies about BrightHouse. Their quotes for service were anywhere from $500-700 a year more than my current plan with BrightHouse, plus the requirements of signing a contract and having my old infrastructure ripped out from my property.

If you are a TV and internet cutting-edge junkie that needs the ABSOLUTE BEST in everything and are willing to spend two to three thousand dollars a year for it, it might make sense. I'll bet that the incredible bandwidth that FIOS provides is awesome to watch, but I'd rather look at standard HD and a much higher balance in my bank account...

If you are buying Slingboxes, wireless HDMI transmitters and running cellphone apps to try to save a few bucks, then there is no reason you should have any phone service that is not from MagicJack. It's less than $2 a month, not $20-40 a month like from FIOS/BrightHouse when you include the required fees and taxes (even in a bundle).

Old 02-12-2014, 04:21 AM

It seems there is not much to get away from regular expensive service for a young person ...it seems other than either take it or leave it.

When I spoke with the Verizon person yesterday he started to give me so much different numbers while my questions was simple...

How much cost the cheapest internet and one HDTV DVR box and how much if we add one regular basic box....I never got the answer than lots of numbers but he was clear they had a promo with a 2 year contract which incl. phone service.

He couldn't answer how much it would be since the community signed a contract with Verizon but he did give a number for the HOA department but over there they didn't have the info either but at least they were a little more clear.

It is sad that HOA's decide without a vote to change providers...she was happy with what she has and what she paid and now to keep the same with a huge increase is sad.

The HOA doesn't want to answer questions what will be incl. in the package for the community until they have the meeting.

One thing is clear that with Bright House with no cable box you can get basic channels...with Verizon you have a non working tv without a cable box!

Thanks everyone but if someone has a different solution that is worth to change too than please let me know.

I have the feeling that some smart person should be able to make lots of money if they have something to fill the gap that seems to be there right now....I wish I had the knowledge...

Old 02-12-2014, 05:22 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
antenna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay