Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:12 AM

39 posts, read 63,563 times

Advertisements

Hello….

I was hoping for some advice about commuting. I had a few interviews with Moffitt Cancer center and am considering a job offer with them.I currently work at Rocky Point (end of the Courtney Campbell as it turns into the Veterans). I live in the Westchase area off Race Track road and currently my commute is about 35-45 in the morning and roughly the same at night.

How would the commute from Westchase to the Moffitt/USF area be during normal rush hour times? I don’t live off of Linebaugh nor do I take it to go East for those of you who are familiar with the back-up at Sheldon.

Google maps says that my current commute should be about 25 minutes and it takes much closer to 45. When I tested Google at my normal time to leave for work but instead routed to Moffitt it said around 35 minutes via Ehrlich/Bearss. I’d like to try to keep thecommute to 45 minutes.

Any thoughts or opinions? Does anyone think this is humanly possible assuming normal commuting hours?

Thanks!!

Last edited by ColtsFan1978; 09-30-2013 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Formatting from Word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times
What time of day exactly? Honestly from Westchase the people I know who have the easiest commute will take Veterans south to 275 and follow that to Fowler or Fletcher. 275 headed north in the AM past downtown is pretty easy.

Going home, whether 275 or Bearss/Erlich, will definitely feel longer.

Do you know your what your hours would be with Moffitt exactly? As a hospital, they can have varied/off shifts that might benefit your commute.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this will be a position with "normal" business hours. Meaning start times of 8-830 until 530-6.

I hadn't even considered taking 275 around to Fletcher or Fowler. That's not a bad idea.

I wonder if anyone has any experience with this commute to help me estimate the commute time.....

Old 09-30-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsFan1978 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this will be a position with "normal" business hours. Meaning start times of 8-830 until 530-6.

I hadn't even considered taking 275 around to Fletcher or Fowler. That's not a bad idea.

I wonder if anyone has any experience with this commute to help me estimate the commute time.....

Starting at 8 might still give you an advantage...at least on the way to work. Like I said, going home will probably be worse. The people I've talked to who lived in Westchase and work at Moffitt said their commute was about 30 min to work in the AM (with similar working hours). Granted that was during the summer before school started up so I'm not sure how much if any time that might add.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:50 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times
The traffic might be rough. My husband and I used to live in Carrollwood (close to Gaither HS). his job is by Fletcher/75 (in the telecom parkway) it would take him about 45 minutes from there on average. He had to go a little further than you do, but also he started a little bit closer, and he started at 8am. I would estimate about 45 mins to even 1 hr possibly depending on what way you go and lights/traffic. Plus remember school zones! He went through 2-3 school zones on his way to work everyday depending on what way he went.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:49 AM

Ugh. For some reason the thought of an hour commute as a possibility makes me re-think the job. I hate that the drive would be the deciding factor, but that is a quality of life issue (to me).

Thank you for the feedback!

Old 10-01-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
The traffic might be rough. My husband and I used to live in Carrollwood (close to Gaither HS). his job is by Fletcher/75 (in the telecom parkway) it would take him about 45 minutes from there on average. He had to go a little further than you do, but also he started a little bit closer, and he started at 8am. I would estimate about 45 mins to even 1 hr possibly depending on what way you go and lights/traffic. Plus remember school zones! He went through 2-3 school zones on his way to work everyday depending on what way he went.

Your husband probably also wasn't using the interstate - if the OP sticks to 275, the commute could be bearable. Also Bearss/Erlich or Linebaugh/Busch have less stoplights out west of 275 than Fletcher does from 275 to 75...OP wouldn't need to go THROUGH to Moffitt/USF traffic to get to work like you husband most likely did, he'd be stopping at Moffitt.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:53 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Your husband probably also wasn't using the interstate - if the OP sticks to 275, the commute could be bearable.
The problem with this is that one flat tire, one accident, one car on the side of the road or any other little thing that happens will drag this drive out over an hour especially on 275 and the thought of doing this day in and day out potentially for years makes me cringe.

You could take the backway which would be ractrack through mobley erlich to bearss but Im assuming that would take just as long if not longer with stop lights and school zones.

OP, I have turned down jobs that paid over 10k a year more due to commute/hours etc, sometimes your own sanity trumps dollars. Unless of course this job could significantly advance your career, well then you have a tough decision. Moving I think would be a last resort.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:20 AM

For what it is worth, I had a chance to do two test runs. I tried Mobley - Ehrlich - Bearss - BBD......It took almost an hour. It wasn't bad until I got close to 275...from there on it was miserable.

I tried going north on the Veterans, staying on 568 where it breaks off 589, taking that to 41/Nebraska...and winding my way over to Livingston on side streets. I was able to go door to door in about 40 minutes with much less headache.

In case anyone reads this....for now the above will be my route should I take the job.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:26 AM

877 posts, read 1,913,005 times
Thanks for the update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: