Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 PM

9 posts, read 12,940 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I just wanted to let everyone know that might be looking for something to do on Saturday that the Coast Guard welcomes you to come visit the US Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg Open House which will be held at the USCG base right next to Albert Whitted Airport. The event is FREE and everyone will have a great time.

No coolers are allowed and there will be security bag checks at the pedestrian gate prior to entry.

We will be grilling out and selling a burger, chips and a drink for $5.

What is available to see:

CG Cutter Vise - Aids to Navigation Demo
CG Cutter Joshua Appleby - Mooring Demo / Tours
Coast Guard MH60 Jayhawk- Search & Rescue Flight Demo
Coast Guard MH-65 Dolphin Rescue Helicopter Static Display
Coast Guard Small Boat Demo / Tours
Coast Guard Auxiliary Safe Boating Education
Food, Activities & Information

Saturday, March 2nd, 2013 / 10 –3pm
600 8th Ave. SE,
ST Petersburg, FL 33701

COME EXPERIENCE
A DAY IN THE LIFE
OF YOUR LOCAL
COAST GUARD MEMBERS!
Questions: USCGOpenHouse@uscg.mil

Free parking in available to the public in the following areas:
Port of St Pete Lot #3
USF Lots 7 & 8 (east side of FWC building)
Airport lot at the east end of 8th Ave SE
Some spots along 8th Ave SE are free but some are also metered and you will have to pay in those spots
Other areas are available and you may have to pay so please check the meters.

Thank you and hope to see you there!
Attached Thumbnails
US Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg Open House - Free-photo1.jpg  

Last edited by kiowa_58d; 03-01-2013 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: Add flyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 03:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
thanks for the heads up - hope the open house is a success - appreciate what they do for us

Old 03-02-2013, 04:40 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,892,327 times
Thanking them for all they do for us.....

Old 03-02-2013, 04:18 PM

119 posts, read 208,887 times
Thank you for sharing! Hope it was a huge success!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:36 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,326 times
I've been watching the shows airing on Coast Guard rescues in Florida and it is AMAZING the wide variety of work done, not just rescues. I've always had a respect for those who serve the public but I've gained a deeper respect for the Coast Guard!

p.s. I just watched one over the weekend where the Bucs rookies and two of the cheerleaders got to visit.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:07 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,130 times
Thanks for your service to the country. That sounds like a great day, is this an annual event? Love to bring my boy to it when we move.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 PM

Bavarian, being an Air Force veteran, we always had an annual Open House for the community. I am not sure though, after 9/11, if things have changed. If not, MacDill AFB probably has one as well.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:53 PM

693 posts, read 1,138,130 times
I am working with the Air Force/Army now overseas but being a navy veteran I would love the chance to get my son around actively employed CG or Navy ships for, like you say, an open house.

I remember when I was in they had what was called a "tiger cruise" that at the end of a ships deployment you could bring a family member out, had to be a man, and they could spend the last couple of days with you living on the ship. I cant remember the exact specifics, I am sure not everyone could since a carrier would go from 5k people to 10k, be a bit tight but I think their must've been a number of racks available for a lottery or something, it was a long time ago and don't remember.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:31 AM

That would have been a great experience! I was able to tour a Navy ship in Galveston many years ago. Very neat! I have no idea why I ended up in the USAF....I hate to fly but love the water lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: