Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:49 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times

Advertisements

The St Pete council asked for a study concerning red light running crashes at revenue, I mean red light camera locations. Seems when you talk 'government speak', you have to be concise in what you want. A study was done just for 'red light running' and they left out ALL crashes at the 10 intersections that have cameras. The initial report showed a decrease in collisions but when ALL crashes were included, the study showed an overall 10% increase in crashes.
4 St-Gandy +29%
4 st-22 Av N +33%
34 St- 1 Av N +15%
66 St- 38 Av N +36%
Total crashes increased from 298 to 328

St Pete, after the state and the camera company getting their cut, collected $707,000 [14% less than they expected]
Violation percentages- 22% left turn, 38% right turn [includes even if you stop but beyond the white line], 40% straight ahead [ includes even if you stop but vehicle wheels over white line].

The St Pete city council will be voting on Dec 20 to increase the amount of revenue cameras or discontinue the program.
Do you think they are more interested in the revenue or you having your vehicle rear bumper pushed into your trunk and you suffering whiplash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 02:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post

Do you think they are more interested in the revenue or you having your vehicle rear bumper pushed into your trunk and you suffering whiplash?
So to eliminate the potential for a car stopping at a red light getting rear ended it should be legal for him to proceed through a red light?

Old 12-15-2012, 05:01 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
The problem is that the cameras cause some drivers to lock up the brakes on a yellow light because they are so afraid of getting a ticket sent in the mail and the driver behind them (probably following too closely of course) crashes right into the back of them.

Having come from the Philadelphia area, I have seen this firsthand as I frequently drove through the area where the first few red light cameras were installed in 2005 right up until I moved here in November. There have been countless newspaper articles and news reports about how the police department's own data shows accidents have increased at the locations with the cameras. But, they are a big money-maker, so the powers-that-be want even more of them installed.

The first camera installed closest to where I used to live ended up malfunctioning and people were getting tickets in the mail who did not commit a violation. They ended up having to nullify all of the tickets generated during a certain period. My niece got a few of them in the mail because she uses that intersection every day as it's 1/4 mile from her house. While in the process of fighting them, she was notified of the problem and they were voided.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
While i'm certainly no advocate of speed cameras or stoplight cameras i've probably passed them thousands of times and never got a ticket or had an incident,the problem with rear end collisions is people following too closely in a situation where a stop could be expected,granted the guy locking up the brakes on a yellow is over reacting and the guy behind is just not paying attention to that possibility.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:00 PM

Default 12/21 update

Even though a council member acknowledged that crashes have increased at camera locations, he and the rest of the council voted to increase the amount of revenue cameras through out the city. Looks like the city getting cash into the treasury is more important than people paying to get their vehicle repaired and paying a hospital bill.
Red light cameras 'It's for your safety'. Not. It's all about the money!!!

Old 12-21-2012, 02:29 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Coming from Holland I know what the next step will be...they will make he cameras flash also for speed and that way anybody who is accelerating to get through the orange/yellow light, will get a ticket for speeding.

These cameras will never be taken out since it is a county money maker!

The step thereafter will be that similar cameras will be placed next t a tree to catch speeding drivers and you wil get the ticket in the mail but first the State will make money because all cars will have to install a front license plate tomake it easier to get caught...

How do I know all this....it is just going on in Holland for years...

Old 12-21-2012, 05:09 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
I always wondered if you can legally turn right on red if there is a signal with the arrow, I always think you can't because otherwise the light wouldn't have an arrow overlay, often when I stop people behind me go crazy on their horns, I also have seen people do this in front of a cop car.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:34 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,206,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I always wondered if you can legally turn right on red if there is a signal with the arrow, I always think you can't because otherwise the light wouldn't have an arrow overlay, often when I stop people behind me go crazy on their horns, I also have seen people do this in front of a cop car.
You can not and people are simply breaking the law when they do. If it is a right turn, they normally even put "No turn on red" sign.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 PM

Making a right at a camera location- even if you stop but passed the white line, you are considered 'running a red light' the camera will flash and you will receive a fine. 38% of the fines are for right turns. It's just a money making scam.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:29 PM

82 posts, read 207,510 times
Quote:
If it is a right turn, they normally even put "No turn on red" sign.
I was under the impression that this was the ONLY time it was illegal. I didn't think it mattered if you had an arrow or "circle". Is this is the drivers handbook?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay