Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 AM

13 posts, read 19,125 times

Advertisements

Well I have come to a point in my life I need a change! My youngest is considering going to college in Florida and I am giving serious consideration to moving. Although I love my job @ SUNY Oneonta, I hate the winter months. The perfect scenerio would be to keep my financial aid job for 6 mnths and find a 6mnth job in Florida but that is a mere dream.

I won't move without a job and I will finish my BA degree by May ...trying to get my ducks in a row. My house will be paid off and I am in great financial position (until my son attends college lol)

Any advice about Tampa and the area....employment and being from upstate NY I would like to open the option of finding some excitement/things to do lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 AM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times
Well the weather will sure be warmer. How's that for positive?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:42 PM

175 posts, read 353,076 times
Upstate NY? Ouch! If you don't have any debt, it sounds like a no brainer. Hands down move to Tampa. Beautiful city, wonderful people and Publix. You really can't ask for anything more...except higher salaries and more opportunities for advancement.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
I simply dont understand why people ask for positive comments only, its like sticking your head in the sand to reality. Not everything in life is positive.

Ok, so here's a positive. It will be warmer.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyodell View Post
Well I have come to a point in my life I need a change! My youngest is considering going to college in Florida and I am giving serious consideration to moving. Although I love my job @ SUNY Oneonta, I hate the winter months. The perfect scenerio would be to keep my financial aid job for 6 mnths and find a 6mnth job in Florida but that is a mere dream.

I won't move without a job and I will finish my BA degree by May ...trying to get my ducks in a row. My house will be paid off and I am in great financial position (until my son attends college lol)

Any advice about Tampa and the area....employment and being from upstate NY I would like to open the option of finding some excitement/things to do lol
Paid house (which you can pay in cash for one here, if needed) and a job in hand (even if it is not paying much) should put you in great shape than most people here who ask to relocate. I would say go for it.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:23 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
If I only came to city data a few times, I would read every thread I can on 'MOVING TO TAMPA' and eliminate well over half of the posters discussion. The reason for negativity would be my primary filter (every job is minimum wage, NO jobs, I hate it here, don't move to Florida, etc...)

But I think that if someone is in the position like the OP, this would be a GREAT MOVE! Why? No debt to speak of, great weather (although humidity is tuff to take for about 100 days), outdoors everyday if you choose to be, no State Income Tax, many attractions (beach, Disney, Busch Gardens, Professional and College sports, fishing, golf, Sailing) etc...

I say he is in a great position that if he wants to make a change, MAKE IT!

Some very useful websites for jobs, even part time are: Indeed.com and Snagajob.com. A lot of those jobs are more than minimum wage. Competition is there for jobs, but if you don't have to take the first job offered because you have bills to pay, it's a great tool to find employment.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM

rezfreak - I have asked for positive because I have been on other forums/bloggs and already seen all the negative comment. Its a known fact people frequently post negative thoughts need some positive

Old 10-02-2012, 01:32 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Visit...and then decide for yourself if this is the place for you.

We have family upstate NY, and I can understand why you're done with that (+the Indians not fixing that I-86...lots of turbulence on that road! hahahahahha)...but the most "positive" thing to do for yourself is to visit before you blow your money away!

Old 10-02-2012, 01:45 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Then you do realize that if it was ALL that good here, there would be less people complaining right?

Look, we moved to PA, we liked the city visually, it sucked for the kids, and we moved back...we chose Pittsburgh because it was the closest civilized city to upstate NY.... but we are very used to our style here in FL...Tampa Bay...and while we did not try to replicate it up there considering the landscape is quite different to start with, it turned out to not fit our family needs the way we hoped it would be. Mind you after this experience, we also realized that even though Tampa employment sucks for a lot of folks, for us, in our fields, is the same anywhere we go....so we could care less...but it was our LIFESTYLE that we missed the most...so you do have to figure out what your preferences are beyond vacationing somewhere in order to make a successful move. Like, if you're used to "Jane's bread"....and expect to find it here...you can forget about that....things of this sort can make your life hell...

You have to sort thought who's replying too...if someone is used to make $200k a year, and they are now making $8 bucks an hour that won't make them happy...someone who makes a LOT of money and is completely oblivious to the world around him/her would tell you everything is great (because it is for them, and they can't fathom others not having it so great).

There are a lot of other places with warmer weather......Cayman Island, California, Phoenix AZ...why did you choose Tampa? (because I am sure you think Tampa is where the beaches are...like many others who make that mistake...its not) The "City of Tampa" is comprised from a down town area, smaller than other downtowns, empty after 5pm, several miles of cracktowns, and South Tampa which is for the rich pretty much.

What is "exciting to you"? rollercoaster's? chasing turtles? chasing storms? anything exciting costs money...you said the money from selling the house might (or most likely) go on your son's education...so....what will your rent budget be?

Positives here:
awesome roads (HELL for car insurance- VERY expensive here)
awesome beaches
awesome theme parks
awesome sunsets...

do you see where I am going with this? I am not being negative in the least...but you can't just get up and move without a plan...because if you do that...who knows in a year you'll be one of those people who are miserable here.....

"Warmer" means 90+ degrees longer than in NY, and don't discount the humidity which is almost non existent up there...but maybe a few days here and there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyodell View Post
rezfreak - I have asked for positive because I have been on other forums/bloggs and already seen all the negative comment. Its a known fact people frequently post negative thoughts need some positive

Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 PM

I am an educated woman....and I have been contemplating moving for two years. I would not move without planning, hence being on here. I have read hundreds of threads and I have visited and do like the area. We are actually visiting again this week. I do not have to sell my house ...as the taxes are not so high and could keep it - a plus my family lives close to keep an eye on it.

I would not move without a job in place as well, this is all research. I am qualified for a multitude of jobs and I have confidence I will not have a problem finding employment. I am not under the gun so to speak and no I do not believe its all glamor with beaches etc....but when you live in an area that you have to drive 30 minutes to the nearest grocery store -anything would be considered excitement. The weather would be a plus....I am not one to enjoy the snow and where I live...lets say it's not an easy travel in the winter anywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay