Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 AM

37 posts, read 65,394 times

Advertisements

My husband has taken a wonderful opportunity to relocate to FL around the Tampa area. We both love warm weather, and we're both very excited to relocate. However upon much research I can not find an area I feel safe moving to with our 4 children. Young triplets and a elementary age child. I thought palm harbor was it, but the violent crime rate seems high, and car theft is pretty high as well??? The most important things are good schools and safe, any suggestions. Our area ranges from Land o' Lakes down to st. Petersburg even an hour or so below Tampa? Please help!". We can't afforded a million dollar mansion or private school, our limit is around 275000 for a home, but safety is most important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletmommyplusone View Post
My husband has taken a wonderful opportunity to relocate to FL around the Tampa area. We both love warm weather, and we're both very excited to relocate. However upon much research I can not find an area I feel safe moving to with our 4 children. Young triplets and a elementary age child. I thought palm harbor was it, but the violent crime rate seems high, and car theft is pretty high as well??? The most important things are good schools and safe, any suggestions. Our area ranges from Land o' Lakes down to st. Petersburg even an hour or so below Tampa? Please help!". We can't afforded a million dollar mansion or private school, our limit is around 275000 for a home, but safety is most important.
I have absolutely no idea of where you read that Palm Harbor has a high violent crime rate or high rate of car theft but can assure you that's a bunch of baloney. Palm Harbor has the best school district in the Tampa Bay area which is a sign of how desirable the area is. When was the last time you heard of an unsafe area with top-ranked schools? I briefly owned a condo in neighboring East Lake and my best friend lives in bordering Safety Harbor. It's a fantastic place to live I can assure you.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:55 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,337,685 times
Probably confusing Palm Harbor with Palm Bay on the East Coast.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:41 PM

Thank you so much for a response!!!! I hope that is the case. 2 websites told me that, neighborhood scout and the palm harbor crime blotter. I was shocked myself, all seemed to check out with schools, then I googled palm harbor crime and those websites show a lot of negative??????? I just would love feedback from real residents, thank you so much for taking the time to post.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 AM

Red face Is palm harbor safe or not?

I've read the schools are good, I've looked up plenty of homes, but when I google palm harbor crime, neighborhood scout and palm harbor crime blotter tell me it's not that safe???? I'm completely confused??? I live in an area now up north where my daughter can play outside with her friends, walk around a bit, a some what cookie cutter situation, I like that!! Safety for my children is what matters most. I would really appreciate any feedback

Old 02-08-2012, 10:18 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,208,942 times
Who is telling you it is not safe, again?

If I had to randomly pick an area in Tampa Bay without researching and ended being safe, Palm Harbor would be one of them. That place is as safe as, if not more, Tampa Bay gets.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,324,340 times
Quote:
when I google palm harbor crime, neighborhood scout and palm harbor crime blotter tell me it's not that safe???
Perhaps you are just being naive about the negative social effects of scale. Big cities are more dangerous than small towns. Here is what Neighborhood Scout actually says about Palm Harbor:

Quote:
compared to other communities of similar population size, Palm Harbor has a crime rate that is noticeably lower than the average. This means that for comparably sized cities all across America, Palm Harbor is actually safer than most according to NeighborhoodScout's exclusive analysis of FBI crime data.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 06:06 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 03:31 PM

I did re read the site hooping a read wrong, however it clearly states that Palm Harbor is considerabLy higher than the national average among big and small communities. Then the second paragraph down they state it's about average comPared to just communities it's size. A few more paragraphs down it states that palm harbor has a very high violent crime rate Saying one of the highest in the nation...???. Now with all that said, that is why I posted asking what things are really like down there. Reading those things from where I come from are very scary, I thought real residents could give an honest take on things, you can never fully trust what you read online , thanks again!

Old 02-08-2012, 03:51 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,252,344 times
As of August 2011 there were only 29 registered sex offenders in Palm Harbor. Thats supposedly less than the state average according to City-Data info. I'm not sure how accurate that is. They even have them located on a map so you'll know where not to move to.

Last edited by Ken E; 02-08-2012 at 04:21 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 04:48 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,324,340 times
Quote:
I did re read the site hooping a read wrong, however it clearly states that Palm Harbor is considerabLy higher than the national average among big and small communities.
The safer small communities pull down the national average. Palm Harbor has more crime and violent crime than average, because it is part of a big metropolis. When you just compare Palm Harbor with other cities of its size, it fares quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay