Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 AM

3 posts, read 5,129 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family and I are considering a move to the Tampa Bay area in the next few months as my husband is interviewing for a job in Fish Hawk/Lithia. We are Florida natives (Melbourne area) and have been living out of state for the past 10 years or so, but our roots and families are still in Florida so we're excited about the opportunity to be back.

Here are our particulars, as per the questions posted...

Where is your employment and the hours you will be working.
Husband's job Fish Hawk, typical 8/9-5 schedule. I work from home.

What is your budget for housing. Do you want to rent or buy?
around $200,000-300,000 but could go up to $400,000 depending on salary offered for this pending job and would like to buy eventually but open to renting while we get to know the area.

Are schools a concern?
Yes, we have one child entering kindergarten and an infant, both will be attending public school eventually.

What is an acceptable commute time?
up to one hour

What else is important to you?
We aren't interested in gated community lifestyle, I'm more into an "old-florida" style home or something with character where I have the freedom to garden and decorate/design. We would also love to live near water, whether ocean, bay, or river (not manmade retention pond). Good restaurants here would be a nice bonus.

Thanks in advance for helping us find a great area--hope this isn't too tall of an order. We've heard good things about Apollo Beach, Riverview, Brandon, Safety Harbor, New Tampa...all insights welcomed. Obviously we'll go check things out for ourselves if the interview works out, but it's nice to get an idea of where to look ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 07:16 AM

420 posts, read 865,139 times
You'll be working in Fishhawk? Do yourself a favor and find a house in the Fishhawk-Valrico-Lithia area. You should be able to find one under your upper budget, have good schools to choose from, and have a great commute. If water-access is a concern, Apollo Beach offers the same and the commute will still be manageable.

I like the Fishhawk-Valrico-Lithia area for families because these neighborhoods offer good suburbun options. I don't recommend it for people working in Tampa (due to commute), but in your case with the potential job offer in the area, it seems like a good fit.

Good luck in the job hunt!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:30 AM

17,548 posts, read 39,171,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
You'll be working in Fishhawk? Do yourself a favor and find a house in the Fishhawk-Valrico-Lithia area. You should be able to find one under your upper budget, have good schools to choose from, and have a great commute. If water-access is a concern, Apollo Beach offers the same and the commute will still be manageable.

I like the Fishhawk-Valrico-Lithia area for families because these neighborhoods offer good suburbun options. I don't recommend it for people working in Tampa (due to commute), but in your case with the potential job offer in the area, it seems like a good fit.

Good luck in the job hunt!
Great advice - I second it ^^^.

Good luck, and welcome back to Florida!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:42 AM

Thanks, both of you!

So Apollo Beach is decent? The homes we've seen online look nice, but I've read mixed reviews on these forums about it being mostly older/retired residents and not much going on there. We're okay with it being a sleepy/small town (we're from Melbourne after all) but want to make sure there are things to do for our kids and good schools. We love the beach so being close to it would be awesome.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:54 AM

420 posts, read 865,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangetreemama View Post
Thanks, both of you!

So Apollo Beach is decent? The homes we've seen online look nice, but I've read mixed reviews on these forums about it being mostly older/retired residents and not much going on there. We're okay with it being a sleepy/small town (we're from Melbourne after all) but want to make sure there are things to do for our kids and good schools. We love the beach so being close to it would be awesome.
Apollo Beach is very nice but it does consist of older residents. The beach itself is nice but you have much better beach options a bit to the south. Since you are a young family, I would recommend the Fishhawk-Valrico-Lithia area instead. You'll have better options for entertainment and dining, geting to know other young families, and still be a decent drive to the beach. You'll be surprised how quickly living on the water loses its appeal and how little you make trips to the beach. Living close to the water remedies this and the FVL area is close enough.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:28 PM

Is there anything quality/unique to be found in the FishHawk/Lithia area that ISN'T in a gated/deed-restricted community? It'd be nice to cut down on my husband's commute of course, but we find ourselves drawn to South Tampa for more things to do and homes with character.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,548 times
There are a few good patches in Valrico that have some charm and character. Especially between lumsden and bloomingdale. (which run east and west) It's only about a 15 minute drive from Fishhawk area. Fishhawk has the number one elementary school in the state, and the middle school and high school rate very well too. So if schools are really important and worth sacrificing the need for a more unique home then staying in fishhawk might be a good option.

Also, S. Tampa is nice, as long as you don't look too far south (south of Gandy blvd.) Good Luck!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangetreemama View Post
Is there anything quality/unique to be found in the FishHawk/Lithia area that ISN'T in a gated/deed-restricted community? It'd be nice to cut down on my husband's commute of course, but we find ourselves drawn to South Tampa for more things to do and homes with character.
South Tampa is a great place to live. Lots to do, close to everything, holds its property values, best schools in Tampa - I could go on and on. If I were to move back to Tampa, this would be the first area on my list to buy.

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2012, 02:18 PM

623 posts, read 1,304,242 times
Gypsychic. if you could have the kids in any school (public), in south tampa, which would you choose? thank you so much! feel free to pm me.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKIRAV View Post
Gypsychic. if you could have the kids in any school (public), in south tampa, which would you choose? thank you so much! feel free to pm me.
It's hard for me to get specific about all the schools, I don't have kids and don't live there, but I think Palma Ceia is an ideal family neighborhood and I know it has some of the best schools anywhere. You can do a google search for schools in south Tampa and pull up some good info.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay