Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:52 PM

10 posts, read 19,792 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

After reading many informative posts on this site (thanks to all you helpful folks out there), I am hoping to get some very case-specific info. My husband is considering a job that will be located virtually adjacent to Tampa International Airport. Luckily for us, he is very successful and our housing budget will be 1.5 million - 2 million. We have two kids (2nd and 3rd grade) so neighborhood safety and great schools are a top priority. We can afford private schools if need be. We love the idea of living directly on the water if possible, and are attracted to neighborhoods that feel like neighborhoods (interesting restaurants, shops, culture--- not just a string of strip malls). Can anyone recommend places that we should consider? Is commuting from St. Petersburg a ridiculous idea? Are we better off in Tampa? I have read great things about South Tampa and some suburbs like Hyde Park, but with our budget I want to be sure we are considering all our options, including St. Petersburg if it makes sense. Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 09:13 PM

485 posts, read 1,012,900 times
My sister lives in Beach Park (South Tampa). Loves it, very quiet, very safe (you can look up the stats, she says), sidewalks, tree-lined shady streets, minutes to TIA. You will love it. Make sure you research the streets and buy on a good street, away from busy roads/intersections. A street where maintenance of homes is consistent, where you go on a Saturday night or a Wednesday morning or a Sunday afternoon and there's no shenanigans going on with parking, noise, etc.

She says the South Tampa schools are good (best in the area, allegedly), but not good enough for her, so she does private school.

Moderator cut: realtor listings not allowed

Last edited by Keeper; 08-01-2011 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 10:43 PM

10 posts, read 19,792 times
Thank you Planedition! Do you know what private school your sister chose for her kids? Also, where is the closest beach to her neighborhood?

Old 07-31-2011, 11:08 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,310,591 times
South Tampa's public schools are at least equal to private schools and, in my opinion, better (and yes, I've been to both in South Tampa). Most of the Pinellas beaches are more or less equidistant from South Tampa.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:37 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,899,565 times
Beach Park is a very nice area, so is Bayshore.
But the best that you can do is find a very good RE agent who knows the area and can show you what you want.
We find that the most important thing with a particular case like yours.
Good Luck!!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:13 PM

17,542 posts, read 39,166,326 times
I agree about Beach Park, I have relatives who have lived there since the 1960's and love it - it's a great neighborhood and great location. South Tampa in general is a great place to be and has great schools.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,216,899 times
The few beaches in Tampa are on the bay not the gulf. You can probably live on a canal off of the bay but most houses do not have beaches. If you live on the bay you will see dolphin jumping. Most homes are older that are on the bay but the sunsets are beautiful.

I agree with S. Tampa, Bayshore or Davis Island all very good areas. The commute would be 20 minutes or less depending on where you live. Excellent schools in that area too.

Feel free to ask questions on different neighborhoods here too. We all have opinions here. LOL. We also have some very good real estate agents who post here. They will have little house icons next to their names

Old 08-01-2011, 03:58 PM

30,459 posts, read 21,309,635 times
Danashores is close to the airport and has all that one would need, for under $1 mil.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:59 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,310,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Danashores is close to the airport and has all that one would need, for under $1 mil.
True. What about traffic? There's not too many ways in and out of there; both Hillsborough and Memorial get pretty heavy. What schools are zoned to that neighborhood, anyway?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM

30,459 posts, read 21,309,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
True. What about traffic? There's not too many ways in and out of there; both Hillsborough and Memorial get pretty heavy. What schools are zoned to that neighborhood, anyway?
Traffic in and out of Danashores has always been bad since the 60's, most all of Tampa has bad traffic. Beats me when it comes to schools since i was out of school in 1981.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: