Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:19 PM

305 posts, read 614,848 times

Advertisements

NewYorker are you living down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:31 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,372,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
An "a" school in Florida is equal to a "c" or "d" school in NY. That's an "a" by Florida standards
Says who? The same people who say that we should do it like this because that's how we did things in New Yawk?

I think the public school systems are equally bad across the whole country due to them focusing more on standardized tests and teaching to pass that test rather than teaching so the kids can actually learn.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:52 PM

769 posts, read 2,061,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhinfan13 View Post
NewYorker are you living down there?
I am in NY now and will be for the next 3 weeks. I rent an apartment in NY and I own a house in FL that I keep going back and forth between. I'm considering dropping the apartment when my lease is up in a few months. Part of the reason I moved back was for the NY career opportunities/salaries, but now I have the best of both worlds. A NY employer that pays me a NY salary, but has an office in FL that I can work from. When I need to go to NY for work the company said they'll pay for a hotel so it doesn't make sense to keep the apartment. With the money I'll save on housing and income tax I can pay for private school when I have children.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:02 PM

403 posts, read 1,201,062 times
What about the weather do you hate? As long as you realize what you're getting when you come here.

My recommendation is almost always Wesley Chapel or surrounding areas.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:26 PM

we're looking to relocate too. any recomended areas? Schools are important and we will probably do private as well, but I want to look at a neighborhood with a good school district in case things don't work out as you plan. It's nice to have a backup. We were looking at East Lake, but I have concerns with Pinellas county schools and especially how they handle enrollment. I don't like the fact that I could be living in a high end area, which I moved to just for the schools, only to find out that my kid is being trucked out to some hole in the wall becuase the local school is filled by people located outside the district lines.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:51 PM

769 posts, read 2,061,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhinfan13 View Post
we're looking to relocate too. any recomended areas? Schools are important and we will probably do private as well, but I want to look at a neighborhood with a good school district in case things don't work out as you plan. It's nice to have a backup. We were looking at East Lake, but I have concerns with Pinellas county schools and especially how they handle enrollment. I don't like the fact that I could be living in a high end area, which I moved to just for the schools, only to find out that my kid is being trucked out to some hole in the wall becuase the local school is filled by people located outside the district lines.
It depends on your budget and what's important to you (being close to the water, older vs newer homes, amount of property you want, etc).

Old 05-31-2011, 01:58 PM

Newer home, family friendly, good schools. I'm on Long Island so being on the water doesn't mater, just as long as I can drive to it.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,834,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Says who? The same people who say that we should do it like this because that's how we did things in New Yawk?

I think the public school systems are equally bad across the whole country due to them focusing more on standardized tests and teaching to pass that test rather than teaching so the kids can actually learn.
It is a problem when you have a 9th grader who is moved down to FL and comes home and says they're doing the work they learned two years ago up north in the 7th grade.

Then the parents have to look at private schools.

Or a senior in HS who is given six periods of independent study because there is nothing to teach them as they have already covered those subjects up north. And there bored of out their minds, a bored teen becomes problematic.

And not every state is like FL, which bases everything on one test.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:02 PM

7,128 posts, read 8,725,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
An "a" school in Florida is equal to a "c" or "d" school in NY. That's an "a" by Florida standards
Schools in middle to upper middle class areas are better in NYC and Florida both!Your inner city/economically depresssed areas schools in both NYC and Florida are your low performing ones in most cases!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:05 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,262,471 times
Maybe they rush kids through school in NY. Maybe the students aren't absorbing the lessons, but
take tests that are geared to let them pass to the next grade without really understanding what they "learned". That was my experience with the NYC schools. Just pass them to the next grade was the goal regardless of how well the understood or retained what they "learned' in the previous grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay