Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,306,789 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have their water coming from a well? how is that? what do you pay to maintain it? does the well dry up? (I know, retarded question but I have to ask that)....

Is that water filtrated? or that is a separate procedure? how do you know if it has filtration?

What are the drawbacks?

& About Septic tanks...what are the drawbacks? how much do you pay to maintain that? how often does it need to be cleaned?

How do you pay the bills for that?

& IF wanted to have city water, is that possible in a "well" area?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 AM

749 posts, read 2,439,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Does anyone have their water coming from a well? how is that? what do you pay to maintain it? does the well dry up? (I know, retarded question but I have to ask that)....I'm on well water, won't drink it but will shower, wash dishes, boil pasta and chicken, etc. with it. I change a pressure switch on the pump once in a while, it hasn't dried up yet, in fact I've cut about 3 feet of pipe because i thought it was to deep in the ground.

Is that water filtrated? or that is a separate procedure? how do you know if it has filtration? Mine is not filtrated, look around your pump and may see a tank with a seperate container for salt for softening and inline sediment filters, some are underneath the sink faucets.

What are the drawbacks? The slightest airleak in the piping will affect the pressure and cause your pump to short cycle or not shut off, and the water IMO is not drinkable right out of the tap. It can be difficult to clean tubs, sinks, and the laundry can be ruined if you don't keep up with it. I Use Iron Out to clean the tub, sink and will occasionally run an empty load in the washer with Iron Out to keep the laundry looking good.

& About Septic tanks...what are the drawbacks? how much do you pay to maintain that? how often does it need to be cleaned? I'm hearing with my system once every 4 years for a family of 4......I just found a guy that will pump it out for $250.

& IF wanted to have city water, is that possible in a "well" area? I may be wrong but if the county or city installs city water and sewer, they force you to connect, they made my grandpa do it in Clearwater a long time ago and it's expensive. Unless they have the lines in place already , I don't think you'll have access to city water. I don't want city water.....I don't want a water bill.

Thanks,
I think they have already or are in process of requiring statewide septic inspections to the tune of $300.......kind of scary becuase if they find something wrong it could run into thousands.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 AM

Awesome info, Thank You very much.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 AM

749 posts, read 2,439,313 times
Quote:
Awesome info, Thank You very much.
I went to Lowe's to buy some filtration devices and much to my suprise the customer service guy said.....don't buy anything here. He recommended this place:

Water Softener Systems, Iron Filters, Water Treatment Systems for Home or Business.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:10 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
You need to buy special toilet paper and if you need a company I can provide you with a name that we have used for replacement of a septic in the rentals we manage....

If you have the choice, I would rather not have a septic....

Old 01-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Thank you, someone asked me and I am clueless, always had "city" everything.

I will let you know if they need referral...Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You need to buy special toilet paper and if you need a company I can provide you with a name that we have used for replacement of a septic in the rentals we manage....

If you have the choice, I would rather not have a septic....

Old 12-29-2016, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,458 times
Different tampa water wells may have different characteristics from one well to the other. While one person's well may have iron, the other may have sulfur, manganese, or something else, however usually if you have a high iron content, the manganese on average may is usually lower in concentration. One of the best ways to fix a high concentration of iron, sulfur, or manganese is an air injection well water treatment system. It is important to have your well water properly filtered in my opinion to remove either the stinky water taste or smell if it exists, if you are sensitive to

Old 12-29-2016, 04:39 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
Quote:
Does anyone have their water coming from a well? how is that? what do you pay to maintain it? does the well dry up? (I know, retarded question but I have to ask that)....

Is that water filtrated? or that is a separate procedure? how do you know if it has filtration?

What are the drawbacks?

& About Septic tanks...what are the drawbacks? how much do you pay to maintain that? how often does it need to be cleaned?

& IF wanted to have city water, is that possible in a "well" area?

Thanks,
I am on well and septic.

It has its pro's and con's. We don't pay anything to maintain it monthly but you there will be a time you have to replace the well pump, have the septic pumped, etc..

Getting septic pumped and started back up (they put bacteria in it to help it get going again) runs about 350 and should be done every 2-3 years.. more or less depending on how you take care of it.

water is definitely filtered. It will depend where your at but its VERY high in iron where I am (land O Lakes). We have culligan the water company with a softener, peroxide filter and reverse osmosis system for the kitchen. It costed about 8k and I would highly recommend NOT going with them, there are other companies that provide higher quality units for less with better service.

Generally, your going to need at least a softener, which would run 500-2k depending on how much you need. salt will run about 15-20 per month.

The only real draw back to a septic tank is that you should watch what chemicals your using to clean with and what your flushing down the drain. If it cant be disolved by water/bacteria, it shouldnt go down the drain. With that said, its not like one mishap is going to destroy your savings, some people on the internet seem to make it sound that way but they are full of it. if your just mindful of what goes down the drain, you will be fine.

Most of the time city water is not available in the homes that have a well and septic, otherwise they wouldnt have a well and septic lol. There may be some exceptions to that but not typically.

let me know if you have any other questions

Old 12-29-2016, 04:40 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
Quote:
Thank you, someone asked me and I am clueless, always had "city" everything.

I will let you know if they need referral...Thank you.
I have used regular TP for years and never had an issue, not sure what experiences you have had but dont think its typical.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:16 PM

232 posts, read 348,607 times
A friend of mine near Land O Lakes is always working on some well related problem. She has a filter system that is often broken, clogged with salt backups, and is having it replaced shortly. Many times her gray/white hair has a rusty orange tint.

And when the electric goes out, the well pump doesn't run, so no water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay