Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:09 PM

4,699 posts, read 7,928,993 times

Advertisements

Tampabay.com – Crews finally free mysterious yacht
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 01:39 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,620,971 times
I saw on the news last night that the yacht had been reported stolen by a guy who lives in Cancun. Apparently it arrived here with motor still running. Wonder what happened to the person who stole it?

Old 08-29-2010, 03:38 PM

707 posts, read 1,471,198 times
This is so suspicious...Anytime I hear about a yacht from mexico two things come to mind: Human Smuggling or Drugs...

Old 08-30-2010, 03:46 PM

849 posts, read 2,932,772 times
I lean toward insurance fraud.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:50 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,216,992 times
Insurance fraud is a good theory. Perhaps it was a prank. Boat is full of fuel, has electronic navigation, start it up, send it on it's way.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:25 AM

Pinellas deputies close case on mystery yacht - St. Petersburg Times
Pinellas closed the case, partly because it is simply considered "recovered stolen property for another jurisdiction". Since the theft took place out of the country, there is no real "crime" to investigate in the US. Drug dogs were used to check the boat, which there was no evidence of any smuggling. The only people who will get to the bottom of it will be Mexican authorities...so good luck with that one. I guess the guy who owns it also owns a soccer team, so who knows if it was an insurance scam or not. May be legit, and the thieves thought the boat would never make it as far as it did...

Old 08-31-2010, 10:14 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,159,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Pinellas closed the case, partly because it is simply considered "recovered stolen property for another jurisdiction". Since the theft took place out of the country, there is no real "crime" to investigate in the US. Drug dogs were used to check the boat, which there was no evidence of any smuggling. The only people who will get to the bottom of it will be Mexican authorities...so good luck with that one. I guess the guy who owns it also owns a soccer team, so who knows if it was an insurance scam or not. May be legit, and the thieves thought the boat would never make it as far as it did...

So is the county going to auction this thing off? Could be a good buy.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 AM

4,699 posts, read 7,928,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
It sounds to me like there was something involved in this, although it's not going to be investigated.
Does this mean you can bring a boat from outside the US into the mainland, without being stopped at all, to see what you are carrying in it? Scary, to think of all the harm that could be done this way.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:46 AM

There's no mention of it being auctioned. The yacht gets returned to the owner, unless he has filed an insurance claim, in which case it goes to the insurance company who will then sell it.
And yes, it is scary that you can travel the seas unchecked. It's one of the few places you can still go to get away from it all. The gulf is so expansive, its impossible to watch every mile of it.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,347,269 times
Other countries have missiles too...a boat is just a "novelty" tool......if someone wants to cause harm they can shoot at us from afar....

It has been favorite movie subject for years....I don't have enough time to make a list of all the movies that had this plot...I am still trying to decide who's dumber...the screen writers for having no imagination or the public for paying $$$ for tickets to see the same movie over and over with different actors.....hmmmm

If no one is claiming a missing person (from that boat) then I guess someone sent some drugs around and got away!

Are you surprised? we have no border control on land or sea! this shouldn't be a surprise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
It sounds to me like there was something involved in this, although it's not going to be investigated.
Does this mean you can bring a boat from outside the US into the mainland, without being stopped at all, to see what you are carrying in it? Scary, to think of all the harm that could be done this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: