Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:46 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Any info appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 10:31 AM

61 posts, read 212,261 times
SUNY Upstate Medical University Hospital - AKA University Hospital - is definitely the best. It is a level 1 trauma center! In addition, it's a teaching hospital which is a hospital you want to go to because they usually have the most advanced technology and techniques and they double check the patient so many times b/c students, residents, and doctors (attendings) will see the same patient.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:48 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
For heart related problems and it's surgery I'd recommend St. Joseph's hospital as it's their specialty. Three of the largest hospitals in Syracuse which are all excellent are located within blocks of each other near the downtown: they are Upstate University, Crouse Irving (basically attached to Upstate), St. Joe's, and the fourth, Community General which is near Onondaga Community College on the sw part of the city. I've been to all of them and they're all good. Upstate does have the helicopter landing pad to bring in emergencies.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:32 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
For heart related problems and it's surgery I'd recommend St. Joseph's hospital as it's their specialty. Three of the largest hospitals in Syracuse which are all excellent are located within blocks of each other near the downtown: they are Upstate University, Crouse Irving (basically attached to Upstate), St. Joe's, and the fourth, Community General which is near Onondaga Community College on the sw part of the city. I've been to all of them and they're all good. Upstate does have the helicopter landing pad to bring in emergencies.
Actually, St. Joe's is on the North Side.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:32 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
St. Joe's may have a good heart center but their emergency room is terrible. Avoid.

I believe that Upstate also has an advanced burn unit. And a new children's hospital will be opening soon, if it hasn't already.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:20 PM

Thanks so much everyone! The time to find this stuff out is BEFORE you have some kind of emergency

Old 08-15-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syracuser View Post
SUNY Upstate Medical University Hospital - AKA University Hospital - is definitely the best. It is a level 1 trauma center! In addition, it's a teaching hospital which is a hospital you want to go to because they usually have the most advanced technology and techniques and they double check the patient so many times b/c students, residents, and doctors (attendings) will see the same patient.
Is this the hospital I passed today right off the Syracuse campus, with the interesting looking structure on the outside of the building which resembled one of those elevators you see on the outside of a building to give people a view from high up? (don't know how else to describe it, lol!)

Old 08-15-2009, 04:36 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Is this the hospital I passed today right off the Syracuse campus, with the interesting looking structure on the outside of the building which resembled one of those elevators you see on the outside of a building to give people a view from high up? (don't know how else to describe it, lol!)
Yes, that wing is the Golisano Children's Hospital: Pediatric Services:Pediatric Services:University Hopsital

Old 08-15-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, that wing is the Golisano Children's Hospital: Pediatric Services:Pediatric Services:University Hopsital
It was very interesting! I bet the kids in the pediatric wing get a great view Thanks.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:38 PM

61 posts, read 212,261 times
Actually the top 2 floors of it is the childrens hopsital opening in the middle of september. The rest of it is cardiology, neuroscience, and some oncology which recently opened last month. It is amazing.

University Hospital is the hospital of SUNY (state university of new york) Upstate Medical University which consists of the college of medicine, health professions, nursing and graduate studies. It is 1 of only 125 academic health centers in the country.

Crouse is a private hospital.

You also have to VA pretty much on the same street.

SUNY Upstate Medical University

Let me know if you have any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area