Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 05:11 PM

4,438 posts, read 7,732,889 times

Advertisements

I went back last month to the SU campus, for the first time in a decade. It was wonderful to see how the campus and city has been built up.

Also, I went to Varsity Pizza, where my wife, first time Syracuse visitor, commented on "the best wings I've ever had in my life!" Nobody makes wings like Upstate, NY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 06:00 PM

22 posts, read 65,764 times
SYR is one of my favorite airports; modern, small and easy to get in and out of. the way an airport should be.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:02 PM

406 posts, read 1,457,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
About that last sentence, that's not necessarily true. If you go by what the media shows, then yeah, I can see where that comes from, but people need to learn how to live life out of their comfort zone sometimes. You might be surprised about what someone, something or someplace has to offer. Sometimes people do it to themselves as to why they see all change or most of the changes being bad, when even in the change, things generally stay the same.
I suppose my meaning was not clear. I was referring to the general tenor of City-Data forum posts, and how the posts of new arrivals to any given area (not just Syracuse) seem to be more upbeat in attitude. I speak from what I have found in the Long Island forum as well as what some long time Syracuse area residents post to the Syracuse forum. The longer a person has resided in a given area, the more critical about that area they seem to be. This I feel is because they have seen changes for the worse that a newbie may not aware of, IE increased crime, litter and a general lessening of quality of life. I also should state that I feel this is natural and not always a bad thing.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:33 PM

95,089 posts, read 126,616,309 times
Default I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
I suppose my meaning was not clear. I was referring to the general tenor of City-Data forum posts, and how the posts of new arrivals to any given area (not just Syracuse) seem to be more upbeat in attitude. I speak from what I have found in the Long Island forum as well as what some long time Syracuse area residents post to the Syracuse forum. The longer a person has resided in a given area, the more critical about that area they seem to be. This I feel is because they have seen changes for the worse that a newbie may not aware of, IE increased crime, litter and a general lessening of quality of life. I also should state that I feel this is natural and not always a bad thing.
but I'll say this, I think it is more due to the fact that it is easier to find out about such things due to more media and research availability. It's not like things that are happening now are new to American soicety or to the world in many respects. Our country isn't segregated or sheltered from things like the past as well. So, that also plays a part as well.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:35 AM

5 posts, read 14,375 times
Our home city, Syracuse.

Grew up in Fairmount, now in Cato--A very small agricultural town west of Syracuse.

And, Syracuse/upstate--all regions have one thing in common. We are not downstate. Our cities are diverse with their own beauty and flavor, the 'Cuse, Buffalo, Rochester, Utica, Albany, Binghamton. (Although, most of us consider Albany the den of thieves, as well as the cut-off to Upstate.)

Southern Tier, North Country, it's a beautiful state. The Finger Lakes boast a major wine industry, the Adirondacks, a state system that preserves a huge chunk of history and beauty. Saranac Lake, an interesting history about TB and everyone knows Lake Placid.

Cooperstown, the Baseball Hall of Fame, one of the prettiest towns, in the old Leatherstocking country of Cooper.

And let's not leave out FOOD! lol Buffalo wings, beef on wick, Cornell chicken, salt potatoes, spiedies, but best of all (being Irish, I don't claim anything but salt potaoes) the best Italian food! Pizza, pasta, you got it. And the best supermarket chain, Wegmans! Out of Rochester, this company not only provides good basic food, it offers choices of organic and responsible free-trade items, and respects the employees.

As to taxes, NYS sucks. It's hard to live anywhere in the NE today. It IS a stalwart of unions. That will bother a lot of people.

To me, the beauty of the state, the incredible diversity of the environment, the most decent of people, I LOVE Upstate.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 PM

39 posts, read 127,065 times
The great schools and universities. The undeniable beauty in and around the area during all four seasons. The incredible amount of culture and history. The friendly people, low cost of living (even with high property taxes), and the general sense of community. A lot of people put down this area, but there is a lot to offer and enjoy. I am proud to say I live here and proud of the way I pronounce elementary.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:17 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,820,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cny4seasons View Post
Our home city, Syracuse.

As to taxes, NYS sucks. It's hard to live anywhere in the NE today. It IS a stalwart of unions. That will bother a lot of people.

To me, the beauty of the state, the incredible diversity of the environment, the most decent of people, I LOVE Upstate.

Unions have zero power in the US and haven't for a long time.
High taxes in NY are a direct result of it being controlled by Financial Industry which ,to put it mildly,is non-union.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:38 PM

623 posts, read 1,827,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Unions have zero power in the US and haven't for a long time.
High taxes in NY are a direct result of it being controlled by Financial Industry which ,to put it mildly,is non-union.

To say unions have no power is an exaggeration, look at Verizon as an example of that. What the unions have done is force companies to pay exorbitant wages and in some cases for those companies to move south of the border. I use verizon for an example because I know several people that work there, and one in particular acts as a lvl 2 tech support to field techs. Now, in the regular world this position would pay $14-$21 per hr, my friend and I'm happy he found such a job, pays him somewhere around $33 an hour.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:16 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,820,337 times
33x 40=1320 -!/3 =880$ x52=45760= big deal If he works 280 yrs he'll make the Avg bonus paid on Wall St last yr., hope his health holds out. I made more than that in the Army.

Is Verizon operating in some parallel universe I haven't heard of?

Old 09-06-2009, 05:27 PM

623 posts, read 1,827,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
33x 40=1320 -!/3 =880$ x52=45760= big deal If he works 280 yrs he'll make the Avg bonus paid on Wall St last yr., hope his health holds out. I made more than that in the Army.

Is Verizon operating in some parallel universe I haven't heard of?
You made more than $33 per hour in the army?? I doubt that. Plus you have to take into account all the benefits, etc he also received plus OT at 1.5 and holiday pay which is double time.

Why are you so negative about CNY?? Yes I get the fact you feel NY has high taxes but why does it dominate all of your threads?? Yes some people live here and dont mind paying high taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area