Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 6,301 times

Advertisements

Hello y'all! The SO and I currently live in Ithaca, where I work, and he works in Syracuse, which is an hour+ commute for him each way.

My (heinously overpriced) lease in Ithaca is up this summer, and the SO might be unemployed come December, meaning we might need to leave CNY altogether (we both work in tech, he in pharma and I in biotech). We're hoping for a more flexible lease so we can adapt to either outcome--roll over into a more permanent lease if things work out for him, or skedaddle if they don't (we might want to leave in the next year or two regardless, there aren't a ton of opportunities around here).

Which brings me to my question. We're looking in Cortland, but the rental market there is pretty dismal. We've located a few more options in Auburn. What's Auburn like? It seems like there are a few restaurants (Prison City is a favorite!) How are the commutes to Syracuse and Ithaca?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 10:43 AM

93,467 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Auburn's Downtown has seen some revitalization in recent years, with some new bars/restaurants and housing. Its crime rate is low/average. To Syracuse is about 30-35 minutes via Route 5/695/690 or Route 34 north/Thruway east. Ithaca is about 45-50 minutes via Route 34.

Personally, I like the SE quarter of the city around Genesee/Route 20/Hoopes Park and Lake Ave. going towards Skaneateles, which is another option for shops, restaurants, etc.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:12 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,796,249 times
I've been to Auburn a few times recently, but didn't notice too many signs of this downtown revitalization. (Although my cousin owns one new business, and a cousin on the other side has a well-established business on NY 34 in between Ithaca and Auburn that you'd pass.)

Cortland, on the other hand, has a good-size residential college with plenty of casual dining options anchoring the downtown that would be the envy of nearly any city in, say, Pennsylvania. Most (probably all) newer residential complexes are student-focused though. Otherwise it's luck of the draw with cut-up older homes, probably not different from Auburn in this respect. And, the northwest side of Cortland has become more run-down looking, it almost looks like the old neighborhoods of my relatives in Auburn now. . The east side used to be the Italian neighborhood and looked down on by the west side, but for the most part seems more stable now. I'd probably stay away from Owego St/south Main (south of Port Watson St) neighborhoods, although the few blocks around Randall School and right on Tompkins St still seem stable.

The place I last lived in CNY with Syracuse commute and SO with Ithaca commute was the townhouse rental mini-complex at 61-65 Madison St in Cortland. The family that owned that at the time was old-line local. The old-line local newspaper still has classifieds (how quaint!) at Rentals – Cortland Standard

Homer 13077 zip also likely has rentals, and less likely students. Homer schools are considered better than Cortland's so rental average may be a cut above too. For commuting ease you'd best stick with the Village of Homer, some place with a Homer address out in Town of Spafford wouldn't be too good. Or, try going north on US 11 or NY 281 to the Little York area. Preble/Tully is probably still more mutually convenient than Auburn depending on particular worksite locations.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:41 AM

I work in northeast Ithaca by the airport, so Cortland is convenient and Auburn isn't awful. I'm having a heck of a time finding a decent rental, though! You're totally right, all of the new builds are aimed at students.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:08 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,796,249 times
Perhaps a bigger concern is what side of Syracuse. DeWitt is a better proposition from Cortland direction than it is from Auburn, for example. University Hill probably is too.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:13 PM

He works in East Syracuse.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I've been to Auburn a few times recently, but didn't notice too many signs of this downtown revitalization. (Although my cousin owns one new business, and a cousin on the other side has a well-established business on NY 34 in between Ithaca and Auburn that you'd pass.)

Cortland, on the other hand, has a good-size residential college with plenty of casual dining options anchoring the downtown that would be the envy of nearly any city in, say, Pennsylvania. Most (probably all) newer residential complexes are student-focused though. Otherwise it's luck of the draw with cut-up older homes, probably not different from Auburn in this respect. And, the northwest side of Cortland has become more run-down looking, it almost looks like the old neighborhoods of my relatives in Auburn now. . The east side used to be the Italian neighborhood and looked down on by the west side, but for the most part seems more stable now. I'd probably stay away from Owego St/south Main (south of Port Watson St) neighborhoods, although the few blocks around Randall School and right on Tompkins St still seem stable.

The place I last lived in CNY with Syracuse commute and SO with Ithaca commute was the townhouse rental mini-complex at 61-65 Madison St in Cortland. The family that owned that at the time was old-line local. The old-line local newspaper still has classifieds (how quaint!) at Rentals – Cortland Standard

Homer 13077 zip also likely has rentals, and less likely students. Homer schools are considered better than Cortland's so rental average may be a cut above too. For commuting ease you'd best stick with the Village of Homer, some place with a Homer address out in Town of Spafford wouldn't be too good. Or, try going north on US 11 or NY 281 to the Little York area. Preble/Tully is probably still more mutually convenient than Auburn depending on particular worksite locations.
Genesee Street & State Street in Auburn has had some new restaurants/bars established there. There has been some housing developed there as well. This kind of illustrates this: Revitalized Auburn still has room to grow – Cayuga Economic Development Agency

More: 'Remained committed': A look inside the new upscale apartments in downtown Auburn | Local News | auburnpub.com

I thought about this apartment complex in Tully: Belmont Ridge Apartment Homes - DLH Properties, Inc

Perhaps the apartments in LaFayette could be an option, along with these Cortland properties as well: Available Properties - DLH Properties, Inc

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-26-2017 at 02:37 PM..

Old 04-26-2017, 06:46 PM

I don't know what the prices are or your budget, but these are in Downtown Auburn: Logan Park Lofts | Maintenance Free Living | Auburn, NY

Old 05-05-2017, 06:41 AM

Thank you! We actually visited those Logan Park Lofts last night--they're beautiful and a real contender if we choose Auburn!

Right now the SO's job position is a little more precarious than mine, so we might stay in Ithaca--life is very complicated right now.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMR0505 View Post
Thank you! We actually visited those Logan Park Lofts last night--they're beautiful and a real contender if we choose Auburn!

Right now the SO's job position is a little more precarious than mine, so we might stay in Ithaca--life is very complicated right now.
It was great that you were able to visit and hopefully, the job position situation gets settled.

Just to give people an idea of the area where the lofts are located, here is a street view: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lo...564299!6m1!1e1

You can literally walk to things like the YMCA, Wegmans, the Auburn Public Theater, the bars/pubs/restaurants in Downtown, Schweinfurth Art Center, the Historical Museum, the Seward House, Seymour Library, etc.

Some other apartments: Home » Standart Woods Apartments

Genesee Garden Apartments - Apartment Rental Community | Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC

https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/42.9...5121_xy/15_zm/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-05-2017 at 07:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area