Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 10:23 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,318,857 times

Advertisements

Parish or Maple View would give you easy access to Rte 3 to get north. I think all the school districts in the area where you're looking would be pretty good. I know Mexico has an excellent school system including an ROTC program. You should be able to get Watertown TV but I'm not sure the newspaper goes much south of Pulaski. You might be interested in this site - www.newzjunky.com.

Pulaski will have more than the smaller places including municipal bldgs and a car dealer, state park, and it's close to the lake. Also good access to the mountains. I like Mexico too. Some minor possibility of jobs within those two communities. Grandma Browns, County Social Services, or the above noted. Try the website above too. I know they had several jobs listed in the north country the other day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 05:40 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,849,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Parish or Maple View would give you easy access to Rte 3 to get north. I think all the school districts in the area where you're looking would be pretty good. I know Mexico has an excellent school system including an ROTC program. You should be able to get Watertown TV but I'm not sure the newspaper goes much south of Pulaski. You might be interested in this site - Newzjunky ® | Watertown NY Breaking News | Fort Drum | Watertown New York | Newz, News, Obituaries, Weather, Homes Apartments Auto North Country Thousand Islands Newspaper Lowville Carthage Ogdensburg.

Pulaski will have more than the smaller places including municipal bldgs and a car dealer, state park, and it's close to the lake. Also good access to the mountains. I like Mexico too. Some minor possibility of jobs within those two communities. Grandma Browns, County Social Services, or the above noted. Try the website above too. I know they had several jobs listed in the north country the other day.
Thanks for that info, I'll definitely keep that in mind. As far as news goes I check Newzjunky ® | Watertown NY Breaking News | Fort Drum | Watertown New York | Newz, News, Obituaries, Weather, Homes Apartments Auto North Country Thousand Islands Newspaper Lowville Carthage Ogdensburg at least 3 times a day so I'm covered there.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:04 AM

From some of the research I've done it seems like Pulaski CSD and Mexico CSD are ahead of Central Square CDS and A-W-P CSD. This is just going off different "ranking" (which I know can be very misleading) I've done through various sites. One thing that suprised me was how large Central Square CSD was as far as student population goes, which is over 4000.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:29 AM

After a little more research, these rankings contradict what I previously said. According to schooldigger.com the state ranking out of 752 NYS school districts are...

Central Square - 347 (pop. 4145)
Pulaski - 537 (pop. 1142)
APW - 587 (pop. 1320)
Mexico - 600 (pop. 2161)

Do these ranking seem right to everyone? I included the district student population as well. Are there any other school districts I'm missing that fit my criteria? I've heard good things about schooldigger.com and there rankings being fairly accurate, is that true? Does anyone have a different list of New York State school rankings? I'd really appreciate the info.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:55 AM

94,880 posts, read 126,332,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
From some of the research I've done it seems like Pulaski CSD and Mexico CSD are ahead of Central Square CDS and A-W-P CSD. This is just going off different "ranking" (which I know can be very misleading) I've done through various sites. One thing that suprised me was how large Central Square CSD was as far as student population goes, which is over 4000.
Yes, Central Square plays in the highest class for sports(Class AA) and covers pretty much Brewerton on both sides and essentially SE Oswego County. So, it is a pretty big school district.

They may play in Class A for select sports like Football this up coming school year though or play in the regular season in other sports in a Class A league, but play in the Class AA sectional playoffs. So, if they stay in Class AA, they play Syracuse suburban schools like Baldwinsville, Liverpool, Cicero-North Syracuse, West Genesee, Fayetteville-Manlius; as well as Auburn, Rome Free Academy, Utica Proctor, Christian Brothers Academy(Football) and Syracuse City HS's Henninger, Nottingham and Corcoran.

If they play in Class A, they play schools like Fulton, Oswego, the bigger Watertown area schools(Watertown, Indian River and Carthage), Jamesville-DeWitt, East Syracuse-Minoa, couple of Utica suburban schools(Whitesboro and New Hartford), Syracuse City HS Fowler High and some other schools depending upon the sport.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-07-2016 at 08:21 AM..

Old 08-07-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
After a little more research, these rankings contradict what I previously said. According to schooldigger.com the state ranking out of 752 NYS school districts are...

Central Square - 347 (pop. 4145)
Pulaski - 537 (pop. 1142)
APW - 587 (pop. 1320)
Mexico - 600 (pop. 2161)

Do these ranking seem right to everyone? I included the district student population as well. Are there any other school districts I'm missing that fit my criteria? I've heard good things about schooldigger.com and there rankings being fairly accurate, is that true? Does anyone have a different list of New York State school rankings? I'd really appreciate the info.
You can look at greatschools.net and usa.com also has its own rankings. To be honest, after a certain point, you are likely splitting hairs and even those viewed as being lower ranked schools still may work for your family. Keep in mind that it is just in relation to the state.

Here is some more info: Central Square Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Pulaski Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Altmar-Parish-Williamstown Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Mexico Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Sandy Creek Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Old 08-07-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You can look at greatschools.net and usa.com also has its own rankings. To be honest, after a certain point, you are likely splitting hairs and even those viewed as being lower ranked schools still may work for your family. Keep in mind that it is just in relation to the state.

Here is some more info: Central Square Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Pulaski Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Altmar-Parish-Williamstown Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Mexico Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Sandy Creek Central School District - USA.comâ„¢
Thanks for the links! Never heard of the site until now, very detailed information. And as you said, I'm not really concerned about the rankings themselves, just want to make sure its not a bad school. My wife and I very much value education and will always teach our kids the same. My train of thought is that no matter how great the school district is, take Pittsford schools for example, if the child and parents do not value education, how much more is it really going to help them? Not that much I'd say.

And also I understand this is in relation to the state and not nationally. I'd be willing to bet many of the mid-lower ranked NYS schools would outperform many of the "good" schools in other states. I went to a "good" school just south of Atlanta and I'd be willing to bet most of the schools listed here would outperform my old GA schools.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the links! Never heard of the site until now, very detailed information. And as you said, I'm not really concerned about the rankings themselves, just want to make sure its not a bad school. My wife and I very much value education and will always teach our kids the same. My train of thought is that no matter how great the school district is, take Pittsford schools for example, if the child and parents do not value education, how much more is it really going to help them? Not that much I'd say.

And also I understand this is in relation to the state and not nationally. I'd be willing to bet many of the mid-lower ranked NYS schools would outperform many of the "good" schools in other states. I went to a "good" school just south of Atlanta and I'd be willing to bet most of the schools listed here would outperform my old GA schools.
No problem and I like using that site, because it allows you to see how information broken down to different levels. For instance, you can look at different census tracts/block groups within those districts. So, if you want to see the median household income of an area/neighborhood with a district, you can do it on that site. I even contacted the site to see where they get their info and it is from the US Census. I have found that it coordinates with information on the Census American FactFinder website.

Good points about valuing education, as I've even seen where students within the "worst" school districts have gone on to very good colleges/universities.

What may set schools apart in this case is what they offer in terms of programs that appeal to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area