Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,188 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife and I have a 2 year old daughter and another little on on the way. We currently live in Long Island, where we have lived our whole lives, and I am a CPA and she is an attorney. She commutes to the City everyday, which is about 2 hours each way, and I have about a 30 min drive to work. We have visited Skaneateles a few times and really loved the area. We are starting to strongly consider moving due to the inexplicably high expense of living on Long Island, and Skaneateles is at the top of our list due to the charm of the town, cost of living, my wife not having to re-take the bar exam, and we have a few people we know in the area.

First question, are the winters really that terrible? We have had some pretty bad winters on Long Island, but I have heard its a whole different ballgame in the Syracuse area.

What will the commute from Skaneateles to Syracuse be like?

Has anyone ever picked up and moved and left everything they've ever really known behind? That is probably the most intimidating part of the whole idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 01:54 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Skaneateles to Syracuse is about 15 miles. Depending on where you live in Skaneateles, you can take Route 321 to Route 5 east to Route 695 east to I-690 east or take Route 175 into Syracuse.

There is more snowfall on average and temps are a little but lower, on average. Skaneateles will get less snowfall on average in comparison to places north of Syracuse.

As for employment, I think given the line of work both of you are in, you would have a better chance of finding employment.

Also, are you open to other parts of the area?

Skaneateles is pretty affluent for this area, but would probably be average or a little bit above average on Long Island in terms of COL.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-10-2016 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Skaneateles to Syracuse is about 15 miles. Depending on where you live in Skaneateles, you can take Route 321 to Route 5 east to Route 695 east to I-690 east or take Route 175 into Syracuse.

There is more snowfall on average and temps are a little but lower, on average. Skaneateles will get less snowfall on average in comparison to places north of Syracuse.

As for employment, I think given the line of work both of you are in, you would have a better chance of finding employment.

Also, are you open to other parts of the area?

Skaneateles is pretty affluent for this area, but would probably be average or a little bit above average on Long Island in terms of COL.
Another thing I forgot to ask is what would your budget be?

Old 04-10-2016, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,188 times
Thanks for the response. Our budget would be about 400k and from what I see on zillow there are some nice homes in Skaneateles village that would work in that price range.

We are not particularly worried about the job situation, I believe my wife will be able to keep her current job and work from home and accountants can usually find a job somewhere.

We would be open to other areas but have only visited Skaneateles. I have heard great things about Cazanovia. We are big on having an actual town to be able to walk to and the lake is a great bonus as well.

My main concern in the winter is the grey skies, which I have heard is pretty much a constant for all the winter months. It can get cold on Long Island but we get our fair share of sun.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmacfie View Post
Thanks for the response. Our budget would be about 400k and from what I see on zillow there are some nice homes in Skaneateles village that would work in that price range.

We are not particularly worried about the job situation, I believe my wife will be able to keep her current job and work from home and accountants can usually find a job somewhere.

We would be open to other areas but have only visited Skaneateles. I have heard great things about Cazanovia. We are big on having an actual town to be able to walk to and the lake is a great bonus as well.

My main concern in the winter is the grey skies, which I have heard is pretty much a constant for all the winter months. It can get cold on Long Island but we get our fair share of sun.
It can get pretty cloudy during winter, but the sun does make appearances during the season.

Cazenovia was another community that came to mind and it is very similar to Skaneateles. Their schools even play each other in most sports as well, as they are of a similar size.

If you don't mind a river, Baldwinsville may be another village to consider. Liverpool is on Onondaga Lake, which also has a park next to the lake and a marina. Both of the school districts are in the Northern suburbs and are a couple of the biggest suburban districts in the area.

400k should get you something nice anywhere in the area. Here are some homes: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Another thing about Skaneateles that people may not know is that the village has its own electric company via NYPA. So, that should mean lower utility rates than National Grid. Department of Public Works

https://www.nypa.gov/about/images/MuniCoopMap.jpg

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-10-2016 at 07:46 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 08:27 AM

201 posts, read 298,822 times
I moved from Brooklyn to the area about 2.5 years ago for a more relaxed way of life. I am also an attorney. We loved Skan and Caz but both were just too far to commute (especially in the winter, when commute times could double from those places into Syracuse). We ended up in Bville and love it. Not as charming as Skaneateles or Caz, but a nice walkable village. Great music venue at the lock in the summer. Definitely a different place to live in the winter. People tend to hibernate (but not me, I am still out walking around with the dogs, etc.), although they do a polar bear plunge weekend with bar crawl in the village every winter, so that gets everyone out of the house. Fireworks on Paper Mill Island on 4th of July absolutely cannot be beat -- live music, great firework display, kids love it. We have a 3 yr old and 1 yr old and have met some great people in the area with little kids as well. Wonderful public library and the new YMCA that just opened about 7 minutes down the road is great for the kids too!

Feel free to pm me if you have questions. Also, awesome new house right on the river just came on the market for well under your price range.

59 W Genesee St, Baldwinsville, NY 13027 | MLS #S351111 | Zillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It can get pretty cloudy during winter, but the sun does make appearances during the season.

Cazenovia was another community that came to mind and it is very similar to Skaneateles. Their schools even play each other in most sports as well, as they are of a similar size.

If you don't mind a river, Baldwinsville may be another village to consider. Liverpool is on Onondaga Lake, which also has a park next to the lake and a marina. Both of the school districts are in the Northern suburbs and are a couple of the biggest suburban districts in the area.

400k should get you something nice anywhere in the area. Here are some homes: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Another thing about Skaneateles that people may not know is that the village has its own electric company via NYPA. So, that should mean lower utility rates than National Grid. Department of Public Works

https://www.nypa.gov/about/images/MuniCoopMap.jpg

Old 04-13-2016, 08:23 PM

24 posts, read 27,091 times
I would highly recommend either Skaneateles or Cazenovia.

Skan is definitely more posh and touristy and has a much larger and more beautiful lake if boating will be an interest for you. It's also the most expensive choice, but $400k should be able to get you something decent in the village.

I live on Cazenovia Lake - moved from the city about 2 yrs ago. We really, really love it. The cost is a little less than Skan, so you can get a little but more bang for your buck. With 400k, you could get a very large village home or you could get something with lake rights. If you wanted direct waterfront, you would have to get a smaller cottage. The village has quite a bit of dining variety, a nice lake park and beach and a Saturday Market during warmer months. What has struck me most since moving here is the "feel" of things. There's just a laid-back sensibility of the people here - everyone is very friendly and neighborly. The fact that Cazenovia College is right in the village adds to the appeal for me as well - adds a level of eccentricity. I live on the West side of the lake and my commute into downtown syracuse is only 26 minutes. The snow is what it is. The whole CNY area does an amazing job keeping the roads clear - just make sure to get snow tires on your vehicles, and you'll be ok.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
I moved up this way back in the 80's from Queens NYC to B'ville NY, still have a bunch of family down in NYC and Sag Harbor Long Island. As far as the winter weather goes, its all about how you handle it and want to be up this way to live, a good 4x4 with sticky winter tires sure helps. we had family up last winter from the Hamptons in Feb. when it was -20 everyday with tons of snow, they literally stayed in their rooms the whole week at the marriot in armory square, my older sister gave me the stink eye when they were packing up the car and leaving and said, I"M NEVER COMING UP HERE AGAIN IN THE WINTER! We have a camp now up in Redfield NY that gets 3-4 times the snow they measure at Hancock. Last winter we had the sleds out until early may, two winters ago we saw 386 inches of snow up on the Tug. I love it up here, when I go back to Queens and Long Island to visit with the wife its way to congested for us, can't wait to head back up this way.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:08 AM

201 posts, read 298,822 times
I agree. Caz is great. To be clear, I work in a eastern suburb of Syracuse, which is why I noted that the commute was too long (for me) from Caz. If I worked right in Syracuse, I would have probably chosen Caz over B-ville village. And this poster is right that your money will go much farther in Caz than in Skaneateles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9square View Post
I would highly recommend either Skaneateles or Cazenovia.

Skan is definitely more posh and touristy and has a much larger and more beautiful lake if boating will be an interest for you. It's also the most expensive choice, but $400k should be able to get you something decent in the village.

I live on Cazenovia Lake - moved from the city about 2 yrs ago. We really, really love it. The cost is a little less than Skan, so you can get a little but more bang for your buck. With 400k, you could get a very large village home or you could get something with lake rights. If you wanted direct waterfront, you would have to get a smaller cottage. The village has quite a bit of dining variety, a nice lake park and beach and a Saturday Market during warmer months. What has struck me most since moving here is the "feel" of things. There's just a laid-back sensibility of the people here - everyone is very friendly and neighborly. The fact that Cazenovia College is right in the village adds to the appeal for me as well - adds a level of eccentricity. I live on the West side of the lake and my commute into downtown syracuse is only 26 minutes. The snow is what it is. The whole CNY area does an amazing job keeping the roads clear - just make sure to get snow tires on your vehicles, and you'll be ok.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:05 PM

Here are some pictures from older threads of a few of the areas mentioned in this thread by bellafinzi: Pictures of Skaneateles, NY- Finger Lake town just west of Syracuse

Baldwinsville–Lysander suburban Syracuse pictures
Syracuse Area - Town of Van Buren Photos

Salina/Liverpool, NY - suburban Syracuse pictures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area