Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:03 AM

10 posts, read 24,930 times

Advertisements

My husband is a NY State Trooper and we are thinking of relocating to the Syracuse area due to the high cost of living in the Hudson Valley. His salary will go much farther in Syracuse than it does where we currently live.

We have two small children, ages 1 and 3, and we are looking for a newer home in a suburb. I've been doing some research on real estate websites and there seem to be many homes in nice, newer neighborhoods, which is exactly what we are looking for.

We'd like to spend between 175,000-200,000 on a home. We'd like to pay no more than 7,000/yr in taxes (preferably closer to 5). We also want to be in a good school district, and close to shopping.

We've seen a lot of homes in Lysander, Camillus, Clay and Cicero. Are those nice towns for families?

Can anyone recommend a low-tax suburb that fits our criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyNYMom View Post
My husband is a NY State Trooper and we are thinking of relocating to the Syracuse area due to the high cost of living in the Hudson Valley. His salary will go much farther in Syracuse than it does where we currently live.

We have two small children, ages 1 and 3, and we are looking for a newer home in a suburb. I've been doing some research on real estate websites and there seem to be many homes in nice, newer neighborhoods, which is exactly what we are looking for.

We'd like to spend between 175,000-200,000 on a home. We'd like to pay no more than 7,000/yr in taxes (preferably closer to 5). We also want to be in a good school district, and close to shopping.

We've seen a lot of homes in Lysander, Camillus, Clay and Cicero. Are those nice towns for families?

All four of those communties would be excellent choices and are similiar to some communties in Dutchess and Orange Counties Camillus and Lysander (which includes the village of Baldwinsville) are smaller than Cicero and Clay if that is of importance. All four communties are well served by highway access and relative proximity to the state thruway.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 AM

Thank you, Rolls Royce. Do know which of those communities would have the most reasonable taxes?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,158 times
I'd recommend Minoa, NY. Good, inexpensive new-builds, lowish taxes and a free pre-school program for children 2-4 and full-day K. If I didn't prefer old houses, I'd have bought here: Ryan Homes - Minoa Farms - Minoa, NY

Very close to major shopping but a bit removed, for a more country feel. And minutes from Green Lakes State Park, in one direction, and a major highway AND the Thruway in another.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 AM

Thank you so much, proulxfamily - that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I am off to check it out.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,616 times
I would go to this website and type in the home value (ie. 200,000) and select Onondaga for county. You will get the projected taxes for each town and school district.

The lowest taxes would be $4,800 for a $200,000 home in the town of Clay with Central Square schools. Here are some other combinations for selected towns:

Town of Cicero with Central Square Schools - $5,400
Town of Clay with North Syracuse Schools - $5,340
Town of Cicero with North Syracuse Schools - $5,876
Town of Camillus with West Genesee Schools - $6,800
Town of Lysander with Phoenix Schools - $6,376
Town of Lysander with Baldwinsville Schools - $6,272
Town of Clay (has Baldwinsvile address, 13027 zip code) with Baldwinsville Schools - $6,174

Keep in mind that taxes may be higher due to the state's budget situation that has led to towns, villages and school districts raising taxes. Most of the newer construction in your price range will be in sudivisions that will have the following combinations:

1.) Lysander (Baldwinsville addresss, 13027 zip code) and Baldwinsville Schools
2.) Cicero (13039 zip code) and North Syracuse schools
3.) Clay (13041; or Liverpool address and zip codes 13088 and 13090) and North Syracuse Schools or Liverpool schools
4.) Camillus (13031, Warners address 13164 zip code, or Syracuse address (not located in city) and 13219 zip code) and West Genesee Schools
5.) Cicero (13039, and Brewerton address (zip code 13029) and Central Square schools)
4.) Clay (Baldwinsville address and 13027 zip code) with Baldwinsville schools

You will notice that the taxes in Camillus are the highest out of the group, however the school district has a best reputation out of the group. All of the schools, though, provide a good education and are popular with families with young children as developers would not be constructing homes in communties with inferior schools. All four communities, Cicero, Lysander, Clay, and Cicero lead the Greater Syracuse area in new home construction in terms of building permits issued.

Here is the website for tax info.
http://php.democratandchronicle.com/tax_rates/

Old 08-03-2010, 11:05 AM

Great information! Thank you so much, Rolls Royce. I really appreciate the wealth of information you've shared.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Salina is usually a town with lower taxes and the Thurway runs right through it. Liverpool, North Syracuse and Lyncourt SD's serve the town. Out of those districts, Liverpool has some newer homes in the town of Salina off of Buckley Road and in the Chestnut Heights area.

Westhill, another very good Western suburban SD, has some homes in that price range, but not sure if there are newer homes except in the part of the school district across from Fairmount Fair shoppong center. I'll add more later.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:53 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Salina is usually a town with lower taxes and the Thurway runs right through it. Liverpool, North Syracuse and Lyncourt SD's serve the town. Out of those districts, Liverpool has some newer homes in the town of Salina off of Buckley Road and in the Chestnut Heights area.

Westhill, another very good Western suburban SD, has some homes in that price range, but not sure if there are newer homes except in the part of the school district across from Fairmount Fair shoppong center. I'll add more later.
Actually, the town of Onondaga has some pretty low tax rates in a town that has 7 good to very good school districts serving the children in that town(Jamesville-DeWitt, Onondaga, Westhill, West Genesee, Tully, LaFayette and Marcellus). Out of all of them, West Genesee and Westhill have the closest access to the Thruway and the part of town in the Jamesville-DeWitt SD(Southwood) is close to I-481, which can take you to the Thruway.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:59 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyNYMom View Post

In my opinion, all the towns you mentioned are nice for families. In one of my "posts" I mention some current new home prices for "starter" homes in the suburbs. Larger & upgraded homes are available in the same suburbs/developments at a higher price. I think you will appreciate the metro Syracuse expressways and highways as they allow you to travel around our metro area very conveniently and relatively quickly. One man I know who moved here from Long Island was extreme happy with the convenience of travelling around the area. There are major shopping areas in Clay at the Intersections of Rt. 481 & Rt. 31 and in Cicero along Rt. 11 & along Rt. 31 and in Dewitt at Rt. 5 & Rt. 290 and in Camillus/Fairmount area along West Genesee Street. If your family likes boating/seadooing/fishing/water skiing/swimming, Oneida Lake is great for those things. There is a nice large public park called Oneida Shores at Brewerton for picnics, swimming, boat launching, relaxing, that sort of thing.

Something for you to remember is that there is more snowfall from Albany to Buffalo than where you currently live but all the highway departments here are excellent at keeping roads cleared. Here at metro Syracuse/suburbs, snowfall is generally heaviest North of the Onondaga County border line (see a map). Considering winters, I would suggest that you consider buying in a new home development inside Onondaga County=Cicero, Clay, Brewerton, Baldwinsville, Radisson, Camillus, Minoa, Kirkville, Chittenango, ?other? The villages of Manlius and Fayetteville are usually more expensive.

Please read my "posts" under category "General U.S. forum" which is titled:

HOMES-$160,000-New Construction-Single/Detached
and
$160,000 also $144,000 New Homes--Upstate New York

Best of luck with your plans. I think that you and your family will like the Syracuse suburbs. Maybe you will want to spend a weekend at a motel here and drive all around the Syracuse suburbs to get an idea of the specific area that will suit you best. Welcome to Syracuse suburbs. grdnrman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area