Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 11:40 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times

Advertisements

Hey yall, I posted this in the Illinois forum but there are few people there familiar with this so I figure I'll post this here since the area I'm wondering is close to St. Louis/Metro East.

I'll be embarking on a cross country trip in August from Baltimore to Los Angeles mostly following I-70 and US 40. We'll be spending a night in Pocahontas, Illinois near Greenville and driving to St. Louis the next morning where we'll be visitng the Gateway Arch and maybe the riverfront and the Anheuser Busch brewery. Are there typically very long waits at the Gateway Arch like let's say the Washington Monument or the Empire State BUilding? Is anyone familiar with the Pocahontas area? We coulda chose any random town to stop in but that is Gretchen WIlson's hometown and we're fans of her music. Gretchen makes the area out to be very rough and tumble...is that overexaggerated? Can anyone suggest a local country-style bar in that area? I know Big O's where Gretchen started singing is now closed. And are the towns there generally friendly with visitors? Any serious issues with meth dealers or illegal immigrant gangs? I've been hearing recently that parts of Middle America isn't as idyllic as the image goes and that some unfortunate city issues are reaching the heartland.

Finally its always said that one should always spend some time off the Interstates. Is Route 40 through Illinois into St. Louis a good scenic route through beautiful countryside compared to Interstate 70? Traffic shouldn't be an issue since it will be on a Saturday or Sunday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:05 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Hey yall, I posted this in the Illinois forum but there are few people there familiar with this so I figure I'll post this here since the area I'm wondering is close to St. Louis/Metro East.

I'll be embarking on a cross country trip in August from Baltimore to Los Angeles mostly following I-70 and US 40. We'll be spending a night in Pocahontas, Illinois near Greenville and driving to St. Louis the next morning where we'll be visitng the Gateway Arch and maybe the riverfront and the Anheuser Busch brewery. Are there typically very long waits at the Gateway Arch like let's say the Washington Monument or the Empire State BUilding? Is anyone familiar with the Pocahontas area? We coulda chose any random town to stop in but that is Gretchen WIlson's hometown and we're fans of her music. Gretchen makes the area out to be very rough and tumble...is that overexaggerated? Can anyone suggest a local country-style bar in that area? I know Big O's where Gretchen started singing is now closed. And are the towns there generally friendly with visitors? Any serious issues with meth dealers or illegal immigrant gangs? I've been hearing recently that parts of Middle America isn't as idyllic as the image goes and that some unfortunate city issues are reaching the heartland.

Finally its always said that one should always spend some time off the Interstates. Is Route 40 through Illinois into St. Louis a good scenic route through beautiful countryside compared to Interstate 70? Traffic shouldn't be an issue since it will be on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

1) Purchase your Gateway Tickets online in advance, it will save you and your family a lot of hassles/waiting:

Gateway Arch Riverfront (http://www.gatewayarch.com/Arch/ - broken link)

2) Pocohontas is your typical Midwestern small town. We ran in a 5K race there a few years ago. Most are friendly with visitors as long as you don't show up as a arrogant or condescending type (i.e. someone from St. Louis). I'm pretty sure the gang activity and meth activity in Pochohontas is quite de minimis, so you'll be fine.

3) U.S. 40 vs. Interstate 70 - unless you have a burning desire to see Highland and St. Jacob in IL, then I would take I-70 - the scenery is pretty much the same - flat, trees, corn, churches, irrgation systems, etc. Both highways multiplex again in nearby Troy.

Use caution with your speed at the 55-70-255-40 interchange near Collinsville - there is construction and, accordingly, a lot of Po-Po trying to generate some quick fine revenue.

Have a safe trip!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:58 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
THanks a LOT for the advice, especially the need to get those tickets in advance. We aren't "arrogant" types lol. I'm Asian but am always told I'm very Southern since I"m originally from a small town in Louisiana and have always been more comfortable in the rural south than Maryland, my two friends are just good ol' boys from Maryland, the type that lived here before half of Jersey came down

Are Highland and St. Jacob quaint, historic towns? There's something awe-inspiring in driving on I-70 two miles from my home and seeing a sign that says its a thousand or so miles to St. Louis and 2200 to Denver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis