Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 09:18 PM

4 posts, read 26,944 times

Advertisements

I am a single guy and will be moving from southern California to St. Louis for a job. Don't know too much about the area though. I was strongly considering moving downtown near the Arch. Any suggestions on high-rises down there and ones to avoid? Is it safe to walk to sporting events and to Laclede's Landing at night? I heard that is where the good nightlife is, is this true? Also, how is the traffic around there? I will be working just south of the 44, somewhat near the 55. I heard there is heavy construction going on near Interstate 64/40 now. Is this true? Would it be hindering my drive or is it off to the west? How long would it take on average to drive down there in rush hour traffic? If there is real heavy traffic and the walks to many places are unsafe at night, then I would prefer to live near the Light Rail to get downtown at night. What would be a nice, safe area for an apartment that still has some things to do around it? Any tips and suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 09:55 PM

238 posts, read 331,859 times
Wow, a lot of questions. There is a lot of development going on downtown right now and finding a loft shouldn't be a problem. St. Louis is actually a very easy city to get around in most of the time. The 40/64 construction project is going to be a pain, but if you're working near 44 or 55, you should be able to avoid it. There is a neighborhood called Soulard right where those two highways come together, it would be a cool place to live for a young guy.

If you like, check out my website (on the profile) it's got a lot of information on St. Louis in it. Also, feel free to give me a call or drop me a line.
Bob

Old 06-02-2007, 11:39 PM

Bob, thanks for the shared information.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:23 AM

I have seen some good info. out there, but I'm still not sure if it is safe to walk on N. 4th St. to Laclede's Landing at night, is it? I've seen some places online for rent down there, but not sure if this is a good area to live. If no to this, then if I live near the light rail (which city(s) by the way) are good to rent in? Is it safe to go downtown at night on this? Please help. Must make a decision here in the next 2-3 days.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:34 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,740 times
Ricker your lifestyle and what you are seeking would help with suggestions. Being single I would suggest living somehwere in the city, several areas to choose from. Downtown has ben seeing some resurgence in recent years, albeit slow and confined to certain areas. Many large old buildings being turned into affordable lofts and condos.

Soulard, Central West End, Dogtown, The Hill, The Grove, South City, would be good places to start.

44 is pretty good for traffic compared to 40 which is the most used and undegoing construction for more space because of that traffic.

If it were me, I would live downtown or Soulard, probably downtown to start being an out of towner. Socially, Washington Ave has a lot of bars, restaurants clubs etc...and condos/lofts....activity. Also check out a metro link map of stops etc...St.Louis is not a big mass transit town, slowly getting better.

Soulard has a lot of the same, but is more of a neighborhood feel and not the bigger high rise buildings.

St. Louis magazine profiled many of the dowtown condo areas a couple of issues ago and you can search for that on the web...stlmagazine

Only in recent years has downtown STL not been a ghost town at nights and weekends...much much better than it used to be and still a long way to go...but at least has a neighborhood feel in the city.

I'd live a little more West of Laclede's Landing....but in a few years, there will be more housing in and near that area....more activity and less of a late at night isolated feel of walking home.

Use your head, and you'll be fine. Wondering around in iffy parts super late at night in any city isn't the wisest choice. But living in the city/downtown is safe and fine....and actually a lot of fun. With plenty of walking options, metro link options for places to go and things to do....

Visit and look at a few options, go at night as well....weeknight and weekends.....Laclede's Landing is more of a weekend crowd than a local living crowd right now...a bit isolating vs what it should become in a few years down the road. Rent first to see where and what you like...

But downtown, 44 etc...you are in very good shape.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:00 PM

Fishtacos, thanks for the info. shared. I have decided to get a place in the downtown area. Just wanted to make sure though.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:50 PM

115 posts, read 481,416 times
I think you'd be right at home off in the lofts off Washington Ave. A bit of nightlife nearby, and I think they're putting in a new grocery store not too far away. There are homeless people, which you'd run into a bit less being outside of the downtown, but it's not so bad. I'd say Soulard would be a great place, but it's a bit less downtown than I think you could say for Washington Ave.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:22 PM

41 posts, read 42,134 times
I highly suggest living downtown, if you are young and single. Even if you're not single. Check into lofts on Washington ave, like you could try merchandisemart.com I almost moved in there or cupple lofts or motor lofts. There are sooo many renovated loft buildings finding a loft or nice aprt/condo will be cake. As for safety, you being a guy will have less of a prob, however that doesnt mean walk around with your head in the clouds, be smart and alert always no matter where you are. But dont be scared st. louis is getting to be very safe and clean. And I grew up there and never had a prob with traffic unless your taking h 55 to illinois which it sounds like your not so dont worry bout that and as for the work in h 40 my father is actually one the guys on that project and it wont be done for a while but it shouldnt be a prob for you. As for going out and rec, dont know if you have a dog to go to parks with, but washington ave has alot of good bars and clubs within walking distance of each other & same goes for the landing. Cards games are always fun & downtown sports pubs are always super crowded but fun when there is a home game. Tho I dont suggest soulard at night alone and stay away from east st. louis its on the illinois side of the river, very bad place. Luckily for you STL is great downtown you can work or take the metro link almost anywhere and downtown is set up like a grid, i.e. numbered streets all go horizontal starting at the river and named streets go across vertically, so its hard to get lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis