Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 01:12 PM
HCC HCC started this thread

88 posts, read 290,357 times

Advertisements

A poster from another thread commented that one of the reasons he didn't enjoy St Louis was because he found there to be a lack of shopping. Rather than getting this discussion going on that thread, I thought I'd start a conversation here.

I found shopping within the city to be very limited and in the county the same stores repeated over and over. I understand a lot of new shopping has sprung up since I've been gone (2000) and I'm coming back this summer to research what's there. Some friends and I have been kicking around several retail ideas to bring to STL.

I'm curious, what kinds of stores would you like to see in St Louis/do you feel are mising and what neighborhood(s) would you like to see them located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 01:49 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,917 times
I mainly only shop on a regular basis for groceries and liquor. Before marrying, you could add women to that list . As for retail - all I need is an athletic outlet for workout/lounge/basketball ... and an Urban Outfitters or such for once or twice a year binges on social/stylish clothing.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:35 PM

114 posts, read 818,832 times
I would love an IKEA and imagine it would fit in the county. But so far, I'm impressed with the shopping. Though, I'm not happy to drive so far for a Trader Joe's and the grocery stores are limited. Is there a BevMo here?

Old 06-27-2009, 06:07 PM

70 posts, read 228,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bissit View Post
Though, I'm not happy to drive so far for a Trader Joe's and the grocery stores are limited.
I agree - I'd love to see a Trader Joe's in the city. It seems with more neighborhoods "gentrifying" It would be supported. Straub's is nice in the CWE and I do prefer to shop in the city when at all possible, but Trader Joe's has such good prices!

Last edited by hhillstl; 06-27-2009 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Word choice

Old 06-28-2009, 10:58 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,282 times
I live within 2 miles of probably 5 grocery stores.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:30 PM

Urban, Ikea, Trader Joe's...all great stores! I doubt they will open an Ikea in the city, at least right now, though, my god, they certainly could find the land to do that on the near north side. If the city is smart they will do what Brooklyn did when opening an Ikea and demand the majority of Ikea workers must be Brooklyn residents and that Ikea must provide its own transportation for customers to Ikea. This was not the case in other cities.

As for Trader Joe's, even Manhattan only has one location to service 1.5 million people in that borough, but if they could put one in Brooklyn Heights, I don't see why they couldn't put one in the West End. And STL doesn't even have the restrictions TJ's faces in NYC-where liquor can only be sold in a liquor store, thus they have to have 2 stores side-by-side. One, TJ's groceries and the other a TJ's wine shop.

I'll never understand why Urban didn't open in the Loop, which is the kind of environment they open in every other city...

I'm also curious to hear what kinds of independent shops you'd love to see in STL? Like what kinds of shops would draw you over to Maryland Plaza or CWE for an afternoon of lunch and shopping? Also, what areas are your favorites to shop in?

Old 06-30-2009, 03:14 PM

389 posts, read 902,433 times
great thread, but I'm a bit apprehensive towards national chains. Urbanoutfitters trader joes IKEA. I think we should support what we have, local harvest, graphic designers, and whatever furniture designers we have. National chains can provide things in bulk and thats great but I'd only want national chains that are going to help incubate local businesses artists and entrepreneurs.

I don't see why a ..carpenter can't make a living building furniture here. I know people like IKEA and the more trendy shops but its not like an IKEA is a sports franchise.

That being said I do like the stores mentioned in this thread. Trader Giotto's Urban and IKEA. I just want what's best for st. louis in the overall plan. maybe more national chains is it? if so then let it be

Old 06-30-2009, 05:11 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,282 times
^ Exactly. I never understood why some chains are so deplorable while others, "urbanists" are infatuated with and would give their left nut (if they have them) to have one near them.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:36 PM

I completely agree. I was merely responding to some of the other posts on mentioning some of their favorite large corp brands. I'm not someone who sees those as a bad thing necessarily, bringing more jobs to a community, ect... However, my main intent, as originally stated, is hearing what kinds of independent stores (should have specified that) you would like to see in STL city? And what neighborhoods you'd like to see them in?

Some friends and I have been kicking around some ideas of retail stores we have thought of opening in STL and I'm curious to get feedback on what you see as needed and by needed of course they can range from the practical to the very frivolous. Feel free to be creative, within reason.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:20 AM

114 posts, read 818,832 times
I mentioned Ikea in my post and totally get the local bent that the op intended to garner from the forum. I love the mom and pop stores in my 'hood and the city as a whole. My first venture to West County was a huge turn-off: Applebees, Walmart, etc. Gross. But sometimes, we need places like IKEA and TJs and for the most part, they are excellent employers and I have no problem supporting them. I love Craig's List for shopping, personally. The real cool service would be people who delivered said CL items. Now THAT would be a great biz idea for STL. In California, we live on CL but delivery is easy. Not so much here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: