Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 13,312 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for recommendations for daycare or preschools in St. Louis, preferably in the South City area. We send our child to Developmental Childcare in Dogtown right now and love it, but it will be far too expensive for us when we have our second child. I would like to find something similar to DCC, with a basis in constructivism or Montessori philosphy. Other attributes of DCC that I love include the setup of the place (it doesn't feel institutional) and the high level of interaction between teachers and students (the teachers aren't afraid to love on the babies). I would love to find a place that both children can go to (infant and 2 year old), but we will separate them if we need to. I looked into City Garden Montessori preschool, but they only accept children from the 63110 zip code. We also live close to Union preschool and Christy Park Montessori, if anyone has experiences with them to share. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 12:26 AM

389 posts, read 902,900 times
Well I don't know anything off the top of my head but if no one can help you here you can try MomsLikeMe.com | Where local moms meet they have about 17,000 St. Louis moms and a pretty active discussion board. Hope that helps = )

Old 08-24-2009, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 6,625 times
Well if you want to stay in the Dogtown area still, I know of a lady who runs her own childcare business. I heard that she has flexible hours and has a pretty good price. If you are interested let me know.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:08 PM

132 posts, read 389,671 times
The original poster has probably selected a place by now, but I'll add my two cents for other interested parties who stumble across this thread. I think most preschools in South City are half day programs, though extended hours may be available. Be sure to know ahead of time if you need half day or full day care, because that alone will narrow your search.

The only South City place I know of that takes infants is Step Ahead Child Care on South Hampton, and I heard they are very expensive. In terms of preschools, I know families who go to Union (Union Preschool), Hopemark (HopeMark Preschool) and St. Stephen's (http://www.allergyfreepreschool.org/). They're each happy with their choice, but I can't tell you want kind of program or philosophy each school has.

I personally used Southwest Baptist CDC at the corner of Tamm and Scanlan, by the Machacek branch of the public library (Southwest Baptist Church, St. Louis, MO (http://www.southwestbaptistchurch.org/2999.html - broken link)). They are a simple, no frills facility that provides all-day care, starting at the age of 2. At the time that I did my research, they were the most affordable, especially since I needed an all day program due to my work schedule. You can enroll your child part-time (minimum of 2 days) or full-time, and if you have two or more children at the center, there is a reduced fee. Again, it's not fancy, but the staff is kind and dedicated. Most of the staff has worked there for years.

Overall, be sure to visit the places you're interested in, and take your child with you. You can learn a lot just by watching your child interact with the teachers and children during the visit.

Last edited by SouthCityGal; 08-26-2009 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 06-03-2010, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 21,990 times
We use Step Ahead. They are pretty expensive but we also looked around and didn't find anything cheaper that I felt comfortable sending my children for the whole day! I'm actually looking for a summer program though because my children will both be too old for Step Ahead by next summer.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:45 PM

7 posts, read 16,024 times
The Minier Center at the Mid-County YMCA in Brentwood is another possible option. My two kids are there and we really like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis