Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:11 AM

321 posts, read 1,005,004 times

Advertisements

We have known people who have or had kids in both Brentwood and Webster and both are very good schools. Brentwood is definitely small (like Metro it graduates <100 year), but it helps with both the middle school and high school being located together to make it more like a 6-12 grade educational complex with 400+ students (instead of a high school with ~250 kids and a middle school with ~200). The class sizes tend to be small and the students get a lot of personal attention. The city itself is a great place to live and very easy to get around, although some folks may find it a bit "crowded". Most high schoolers don't need a car since they can just walk to school. It is definitely a tight knit community within the school and within the city as well. If you are looking in the $500-750K range in Brentwood, you can get one of the newer "infills" (i.e. "tear downs") west of High School Drive which they built a lot of in Parkridge in the past few years, or you can get a very nice, but older home in the York Village area.

I am personally not as familiar with Webster schools, but the people I know who have lived there and sent their kids to the schools have very high regards for the schools. Webster also seems to be a very neat place to live, with a lot or performing arts (primarily due to Webster U), restaurants and unique stores to visit. We still partake of the niceties of Webster from just a few miles away ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 AM

248 posts, read 627,565 times
We chose a house in Fenton, the subdivision is in your price range, and many lower as well. It is well within 20 minutes to T&C and the city (my husband works in the city so we wanted a low commute time). My kids go to private schools in Manchester, which is a 10-15 minute drive, and very nice.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:32 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,658,907 times
... I always forget about little Brentwood. That would probably be a really good option for you. Although Webster's HS is bigger than you wanted, it's a very good school and Webster Groves itself has that walkable older feel and is a tight knit community -- were I to move out to the suburbs, Webster Groves would absolutely be on the short list.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,596,717 times
You could try Clayton High, which is free (if you live in the district), co-ed, has 817 students, has the third highest average student ACT score for the 64 area public high schools, and has a football and track team.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:41 PM

3 posts, read 11,519 times
Rosevelt high...itz over in south stl

Old 05-14-2009, 02:35 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,596,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st.louis_blood View Post
Rosevelt high...itz over in south stl
That might have been a pretty good idea 25 years ago, but not today (based on what the OP is looking for). Roosevelt has changed drastically. By the way, do you go to Roosevelt, because my school's soccer team play's them this season.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 AM

15 posts, read 34,888 times
we are going to have a 'look see' visit with the family next weekend... so far Clayton and Brentwood will be on our itinerary. We'll also check out some of the private schools in the newer suburbs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis