Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 10:42 AM

9 posts, read 50,597 times

Advertisements

I have narrowed down my list of places to move to this summer. I want to live in the downtown area and be close to a metro link station (10-15min walk max). The three areas I listed (Lafayette Square, Busch stadium area, and the Loft District- Wash Ave.) should all meet that criteria. Of the three, Lafayette Square I assume would be the quietest at night, whereas Busch stadium area would be loud during home games and the Loft District at night with people at the bars and during Rams games. Are those safe assumptions? Lafayette Square also seems to be a cool/artsy area with coffee shops and nice restaurants which would be a plus, as well as the park to run in. Any thoughts regarding these two areas and help so that I can narrow down my choice? The places I am looking at in the different areas area all close in price and amenities. So nothing really stands out in that regard. Thanks for the help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 12:28 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,642,167 times
Lafeyette Square or Wash. Ave for sure -- there really isn't much to do around Busch yet. I always stay at the Westin when I'm in town (my mom lives in St. Charles and I don't much relish the 45 minute drive home after a night out with old friends) and walk or take the metro out to the bars (usually on Wash Ave) and then cab it back there.

If I were choosing, I'd pick Lafayette Square simply for Lafayette Park itself -- not much green space downtown.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:08 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,806,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
I have narrowed down my list of places to move to this summer. I want to live in the downtown area and be close to a metro link station (10-15min walk max). The three areas I listed (Lafayette Square, Busch stadium area, and the Loft District- Wash Ave.) should all meet that criteria. Of the three, Lafayette Square I assume would be the quietest at night, whereas Busch stadium area would be loud during home games and the Loft District at night with people at the bars and during Rams games. Are those safe assumptions? Lafayette Square also seems to be a cool/artsy area with coffee shops and nice restaurants which would be a plus, as well as the park to run in. Any thoughts regarding these two areas and help so that I can narrow down my choice? The places I am looking at in the different areas area all close in price and amenities. So nothing really stands out in that regard. Thanks for the help in advance.
While all three areas are within a few miles of each other tops, Lafayette Square will not be a 10 minute walk to Metrolink. The others however, fit that criteria. Lafayette Square is a short drive to many things, but not walking distance to Metrolink. 18th street will shoot you right over to one part or another, Lafayette Square and downtown in swift fashion.

All three are good choices. Outside of baseball season home games,(81 per year) the area immediately around and near Busch stadium is very quiet. And that is what the previous poster is saying...that perhaps year round the other two areas would be more of a "feel" to them.

Good eats in all three areas btw. It will come down to personal preference.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:30 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,642,167 times
Totally skipped over the metro walking distance aspect of the OP in my hasty read this morning -- SORRY! Yeah the closest metro stop would be what? Union Station I guess. That should be around a mile walk -- that's walking distance to me, but maybe not for a daily commute.

In that case, my vote heartily goes toward Wash Ave.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:40 PM

287 posts, read 1,087,341 times
I love Washington. Don't live there, but it's the only part of the city that reminds me of when I lived in Chicago. Pretty cool place!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
While all three areas are within a few miles of each other tops, Lafayette Square will not be a 10 minute walk to Metrolink.
I used google map, and Lafayette Sqaure is exactly 1 mile from Union station; basically just walk straight down 18th street. Not sure about the area, but a mile walk isn't bad at all. Should be 10-15min at a normal pace.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anr_black View Post
I love Washington. Don't live there, but it's the only part of the city that reminds me of when I lived in Chicago. Pretty cool place!
Yeah I really liked the Washington loft district as well. Only problem that I saw was that parking for the apartments was quite a bit more than the other areas. I also worry that it might be a bit louder at night than I might like.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:55 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,928,537 times
The Loft district isnt really that noisy at night. Most of the bldgs are big and therefore keep most of the sound out. I live in one and really have never had a problem with noise. You may hear sirens now and then but its just typical city noises. Its convienent to metro and other amenities along with being a real polished area without losing its history. Give the Loft district a good look. I would highly recommend it.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:27 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,806,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
I used google map, and Lafayette Sqaure is exactly 1 mile from Union station; basically just walk straight down 18th street. Not sure about the area, but a mile walk isn't bad at all. Should be 10-15min at a normal pace.
Yeah, you are correct, that would/should be doable. I didn't really think about it closely enough, mostly due to the walk is across busy streets and under a highway. It isn't a neighborhood walk or "quiet" walk, but you are correct in distance. That's why I said it is an easy short ride across 18th steet. But yeah, it is definitely walkable to that stop. My bad.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:37 PM

572 posts, read 1,996,725 times
LaSalle Park is just south of the ballpark, easy walk to downtown, Soulard or Lafayette Sq. . Great neighborhood. In fact I have a townhouse for sale. Not that I'm promoting it or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis