Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 PM

16 posts, read 66,086 times

Advertisements

I have a condo in the central west end that I'd like to sell.

Does anyone have a sense of the current market?

Also, anyone have experience negotiating down a broker's fee? A real estate broker tells us that in fact, people are resorting to offering broker bonuses and INCREASED commissions to try to move their properties. I have a fundamental problem with this, since I don't really like the real estate broker industry to begin with (but that's a topic for another discussion). Any thoughts/experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,720 times
we know a woman who goes to our church and sends her kid to the same school as ours, and she is going to try and help us sell our house at a very favorable commission. I do think that as the market has slowed you may be able to get some agents willing to accept a lower than standard commission. I was told by a friend that Coldwell Banker Gundaker charges 6.5-7.0 pct. Now, I don't know if that is true or not, but 7.0 pct seems like a lot to me. I believe smaller firms are more willing to go 6.0 or even 5.5 (but I really don't know for sure, as I am in no way a real estate pro). At any rate, I would try to use a real estate agent who you are somehow personally connected to-- they'll be more likely to want to work hard for you because it is such a referral driven industry. I also think it is a rotten time to try fsbo, just because the market is so slow. Maybe back in 2006. Not so much today.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 PM

Thanks, Zach_33, for sharing your experience. Yes, CBG says they charge 7%, but the agent will typically reduce it slightly out of the goodness of their hearts (to 6% in our case -- wow, a FULL PERCENT off!). Great marketing ploy. Now, I agree that a firm like CBG has overhead (and the broker needs to split with the company), but a higher commission should equal better service (which is not always the case).

Old 02-25-2009, 07:08 AM

522 posts, read 1,609,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fun in Philly View Post
Thanks, Zach_33, for sharing your experience. Yes, CBG says they charge 7%, but the agent will typically reduce it slightly out of the goodness of their hearts (to 6% in our case -- wow, a FULL PERCENT off!). Great marketing ploy. Now, I agree that a firm like CBG has overhead (and the broker needs to split with the company), but a higher commission should equal better service (which is not always the case).
Although I am not familiar with the STL market, the market is bad everywhere right now and realtors should negotiate their commissions. I'm in Florida, which is the 2nd highest foreclosure capital in the country right now and they have been negotiating downward for at least 2 years now. 7 percent is too high. Down here they've been known to go as low as 3 percent. And remember, the realtor, not the broker, gets the bulk of the money - the splits are usually 80 to 90 for the sales agent and the rest to the broker. I am in agreement with you about the profession - you have to be very careful. There ARE honest realtors out there - you need to go by referral. You may want to consider starting a new thread about who has had a good realtor for some leads on this forum.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:51 AM

Default Selling CWE Condo (Part II) -- Broker Recs?

Anyone have a real estate broker recommendation for listing a condo?

Competence. Honesty. Experience. Good marketing and market sense. Responsive and service-oriented. These would be preferred qualities.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis