Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 04:00 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,594,065 times

Advertisements

The major wave of Bosnian immigration to St. Louis started right after the massacres in Srebrenica in 1993, because St. Louis didn't really have ANY refugees, and it's easier to place refugees in a city without any others. The US government has a very big role in choosing where to resettle refugees, and they picked St. Louis.

Then the refugees basically networked. Family and friends found out about St. Louis and came too, and it very quickly became THE place to be for Bosnians. There are now between 30,000 and 40,000 one-time Bosnian refugees in St. Louis, many of whom are now US citizens.

The Bosnian community in St. Louis is a very strong part of the southern part of the city, and has taken over and improved a group of neighborhoods that had basically been decimated by urban decay. Bevo Mill, for example, is a 100-year-old working class neighborhood that in large part was absolute garbage in the 1980s, but is now a really neat, clean, tidy place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 PM

63 posts, read 194,775 times
From South STL, and I'd agree that the Bosnian infusion has been nothing but positive...it at least gives us more interesting things to look at in local grocery stores...They've amassed a pretty interesting selection of eastern european foods, even in the larger chain stores.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:42 PM

If Chicago gets the 2016 Olympics, there could be some Olympic soccer games played at the Edward Jones Dome. Reports say that because of St. Louis' high Bosnian population, the Bosnian national team has some interest in playing a few games here.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:45 PM

9 posts, read 27,047 times
My family and I are heading down to Little Bosnia Friday. Any restaurant recommendations? Also are there any Yugoslavian/Eastern European grocery stores in the area? I am partially Croatian and love the food.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:26 PM

Well if your looking for ethnic grocery stores, south St. Louis would be your best bet. You could possibly try Grand Blvd. around Tower Grove Park. Also, I know that there is a Bosnian Cafe in south St. Louis in the St. Louis Hills neighborhood.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:50 PM

76 posts, read 235,689 times
I think that is great. I am all for ethnic groups settling in the city. Of course we dont want anyone relocated, but its great when groups can fill in the gaps. I love going to Cherokee St. for Mexican food and I will be sure to check out the Bosnia restaurants as well. If the natives are not willing to live in the city...then open the floodgates!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:06 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
If Chicago gets the 2016 Olympics, there could be some Olympic soccer games played at the Edward Jones Dome. Reports say that because of St. Louis' high Bosnian population, the Bosnian national team has some interest in playing a few games here.
Just a heads up, it is very unlikely that St. Louis would get any of the Olympic soccer games. Besides Soldier Field, the Chicago Olympics are looking to use Ryan Field as well as NIU's Football Stadiums as venues.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
If we have the China Hub then, could some Asian teams fly directly to Lambert? Then they could train here. Chicago will be booked solid. If Chicago gets the Olympics, I would venture to guess that St. Louis would feel some effects from it. It may not be major, but we would feel some effects surely.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:36 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Absoultely, Chicago is actually using St. Louis as a selling point in regards to training grounds. I have heard this is particularly true in Swimming and Diving, as well as the long distance running events.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:09 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
I know that in years past they've had diving Olympic trials at the Rec Plex in St. Peters -- wouldn't be surprised if that ends up getting some use where training and trials are concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: