Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:44 PM

20 posts, read 57,063 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to St. Louis from North Carolina in June with my 15 yr old daughter. I'll be working at Barnes Jewish Hospital. I would like to rent in one of the following school districts: Clayton, Ladue or Webster Groves. We'd like to stay as near the city as possible, but would consider Kirkwood or Lindbergh high schools as well. We will need to keep our house in NC for the time being, and my husband will need to stay with his job there, so we're looking for something that we can rent in the $750/mo range until we can sell our house. Does anybody know of a website that lets me determine school districts by the address of a property? I have a map of school district boundaries, and they don't necessarily coincide with city boundaries, and it is very difficult to decifer streets on this map (http://www.richmondheights.org/DocumentView.asp?DID=61). I've been following rental properties on Craigslist, but it's frequently difficult to discern what school district these properties fall into. I'd appreicate any advice!

Last edited by aragx6; 01-26-2009 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Actually the best advice I can offer you is to ask us. I don't know if there is a better map than the one you posted -- if there is, I don't know it.

So, feel free to throw some addresses at us and we should know or be able to figure it out since many of us know the roads a lot better than you do.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 AM

Thank you for the offer. For example, would W. Bruno at Big Bend fall into the Clayton or Maplewood-Richmond Heights district? It is a RH address, but it appears that Big Bend is a road that borders the Clayton school district extending into RH. I can't tell from the map, though, where it intersects with W. Bruno. Does anybody know what district that address would attend?
Thanks!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:39 PM

That's definitely Maplewood-Richmond Heights school district.

If you look at that map, the property you mentioned is right on the border of Maplewood and Richmond Heights along the north/south running Big Bend Road.

Big Bend and Bruno is just about equidistant between I-64 (colloquially called hwy 40 by the locals) which you can see on the map and Manchester Road. You can find Manchester on that map by looking at the very bottom -- it runs kind of curvy.

Hope that helps some! Feel free to ask about other properties you are looking at!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:15 PM

Thank you for your help! If I'm reading the map correctly I think Ethel at Highland Terrace should fall in Clayton District, though in Richmond Heights. Is this correct, and do you know anything about this area? The rent seems quite low, which makes me wonder if there is a problem with that area.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:45 PM

Ok I'm not sure about that one because it's obviously right on the border.

I think that you're right, because it appears the border for Clayton/MWood-RH is Wise, but you might call the district and ask just to be sure.

I don't think there's anything wrong right there, though I can't say I've ever driven by that particular intersection. Maybe just traffic noise?

Old 01-26-2009, 02:55 PM

I just called the school district, and Ethel Ave is Clayton. We're coming out in April to find a place to live, so I'll check places out in person then, but it's great to have some info while I'm doing the research from here. Thanks for the help. We can't wait to get to know St. Louis!

Old 01-26-2009, 03:01 PM

321 posts, read 1,004,201 times
Robin_C, the Highland Terrace area of Richmond Heights is indeed in the Clayton district. It definitely is a lower cost area within the district with smaller and older homes including rentals and duplexes which are sandwiched pretty close together. I don't think there is a "problem" there at all, and it is actually a pretty nice area with lots of Wash U grad students and employees and a variety of different types of households. You would be right by the Richmond Heights Schnucks which would be very convenient but also makes Highland Terrace a busy road. Richmond Heights is a great place to live!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:30 PM

Thank you for the info wustu87. I definitely don't mind a higher density and more diverse area. Do you know anything about public transit from this neighborhood to Barnes?
Another location that looks like it is right on the line is Park and Bellvue. Any insight as to which district this is in?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:20 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,722,256 times
I think that the only "problem" with that area right now is that it is close to the Highway 40 road construction. You should hear a lot of construction noise and vibrations. The traffic on the main roads (Clayton, Big Bend, Skinker/McCausland) can back up pretty bad during rush hour.

You should also look in the Brentwood school district. There should be plenty of condos for rent in the Brentwood Forest Subdivision in your price range. It is also a very short drive to the Metrolink station, which would take you right to Barnes. However, I think that it would probably be faster to drive. It isn't that far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis