Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 7,667 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a family friendly activity for Christmas Day that allows me to get out of my house. I know that movies are open, but what else is there? My daughter is 3.5-years old, and my husband and I are game for just about anything. We live in South County, and would prefer to drive less than 30 minutes each way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 04:02 PM

13 posts, read 57,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah's Mom View Post
I am looking for a family friendly activity for Christmas Day that allows me to get out of my house. I know that movies are open, but what else is there? My daughter is 3.5-years old, and my husband and I are game for just about anything. We live in South County, and would prefer to drive less than 30 minutes each way.

Not to be a such a humbug...but if you (or others) were to go out and do something outside of your house --to enjoy your family more? -- that just ruins the holiday for the poor ******* who gets scheduled to work.

Holidays should be equal to all... IMO

Old 11-25-2008, 04:40 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp2 View Post
Not to be a such a humbug...but if you (or others) were to go out and do something outside of your house --to enjoy your family more? -- that just ruins the holiday for the poor ******* who gets scheduled to work.

???

I'll be sure to tell fire to take the day off so the firefighters do not have to work.

It's simple, certain jobs require you to work on holidays. No doubt, it sucks. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

I had a couple jobs that made me work holidays, rather it be thanksgiving, easter, etc. To be honest, I kind of enjoyed it. It was usually a shorter shift and double pay for the holiday.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:30 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Skip,
I agree some people are necessary and have to work -- but some folks definitely are necessities, and I agree that it's a shame that more and more businesses stay open on major holidays.

Sure you like working, but do you have children? Missing Christmas is no fun.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:14 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,856 times
Nope, no kids.

The way most businesses handle christmas scheduling is different from normal days. Instead of working a full shift, it'll generally be 4 hours or something like that.

Also, most businesses will do their best to entice people to volunteer before they start scheduling. Things like extra pay, a free meal, gift cards, etc.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:10 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp2 View Post

So, then keep all people in their houses, so that the poor smucks that are scheduled to work you'd rather then that they have no people/customers to deal with?

Anyhow, an idea for the OP - just go get lost... Seriously, go exploring, see some different sites, learn your area, eat somewhere off the normal path, spread some cheer...

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 11-26-2008 at 11:31 AM..

Old 11-30-2008, 08:17 AM

13 posts, read 57,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
???

I'll be sure to tell fire to take the day off so the firefighters do not have to work.
Your comment makes no sense. I wasn't referring to essential workers - police, firefighter, hospital personnel, etc. and from what Hannah's mom inquired about, she wasn't either. She wanted to know where to go for pleasure - which means someone would need to leave their family and Christmas to work. NON ESSENTIAL.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:59 PM
jde

19 posts, read 67,013 times
Kurt Warner's family always donated themselves on Christmas day working in a Soup Kitchen. I can't think of a better gift to give your daughter of 3.5, than to start with a tradition of doing for others. Especially since these days kids are so materialistic. Also visiting a nursing home would be nice. The Rosewood Care Center on Schuetz in Creve Coeur, is clean and friendly. I know they like to sit in the dining room and play jigsaw puzzles. I may wrap some up and take them over myself. Thanks for the idea!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:07 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah's Mom View Post
Other than movie theaters, I don't know...restaurants?

Old 11-30-2008, 04:18 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,319,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Other than movie theaters, I don't know...restaurants?
Exactly-Come on everyone-let's not get dramatic. Is there anything open on Christmas besides the movies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis