Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 05:33 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
I can say honestly...My mother lived in chicago for 6 years i am very familiar with chicago and I visit NYC about once a month I know these 2 places very well...and new york is much more "segregated" in terms of where people live.

What I'm trying to get at is diversity is lacking...everything is the same. Everything seems to only have 2 poles which are black and white with nothing else to offer. You get a guy like me who is half black and half latino who is already confused lol...what im trying to get at is that it does not offer what a lot of other cities would...I lack an identity as I am not classified as either black or mexican black people in STL say im not black and Mexicans well forget about it.

It is way too exclusive in this town...and what makes it worse is that mixing is still looked at like woah son thats mighty dangerous...we best slow down with that.

Like I said...you can go anywhere....Anyyyywheerree in Chicago and find everyone mixing...I dont care if there is racism going on everyone is being progressive and mixing together...I love how in a place with a lot of "diversity" you will see every walk of life in the city's core. Outside of the city you still have your very segregated neighborhoods, fine whatever...

The thing that really sucks is that there is a potential for really hip places that promote diversity in this town, but no one wants to do it because they know that say an establishment like a nightclub...they know if they play top 40 hits and z107.7 and pop and pop hip hop theyre going to have a full house fine you cant blame them...everywhere you go every place is the same...same ol crap.

Every major city has its cliques and places to go if you want to participate in that...but whats lacking is if you dont want to take part in that bs. I'm always the guy that stands out like a sore thumb like woah what is that guy doing in here...did he get lost on his way to mowing my lawn lol. (Would you want to be the only white guy in the club everywhere you went consistently on a weekly basis?)
Im not insecure about it...it just really sucks. I might get some easy attention from some open minded girls since I do stand out....wish they were all like that
When it comes to cultural diversity the smallest stuff annoys the hell out of me...like a place like Chevy's or Nacho Mama's consistently winning "best Mexican food" which mexicans themselves just laugh at because its not mexican...(same goes for every kind of ethnic food i can imagine besides bosnian or vietnamese)

I hear the same thing from all the confused people like me...those that dont fit into the white pole or the black pole. N' thats pretty much all there is.
No one wants to have a progressive mindset...everyone wants this place to stay the way it is...fine thats your right.
I grew up here in a great community and everyone in my community is fascinated of the fact that an educated blaxican exists "wow you go to college ey?!" ...constantly having to prove to the police that I live where I do...my speech and the way I dress should be a dead giveaway that I am a product of west county.
you get to a point where enough is enough.
All I was saying is if you're like me...or basically if you are young and dont fit into either pole then STL is not for you.

I've been taken seriously in Chicago and NYC and even Beijing (international cities) because they have seen guys like me before, but when it comes to STL being a college student and not wanting to mow lawns run a dishwasher or be a cook in the kitchen, then I cant get a job (which I havent since returning to USA in january 08 after mounds of resumes and interviews (i've been told that I kill interviews)...hell in china i got paid $20/hr to give private english lessons to doctors and execs even though they all thought i was from india lol...)

I'm bitter as hell...can't you tell?
no one wants to take any steps backwards...and because of that I have to move on!
Oh really? Have you ever been to Beverly? Sorry, couldn't resist. You walked right into that one and there are plenty more where that came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:36 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Hahahahahahaha. Spoken like someone who's never left the Mag Mile in Chicago. This is so painfully untrue.
Just keep on walking West of Western for a while. Good luck with that.

I'm now supposed to believe that all of Cicero, yes Cicero is well maintained? Wow.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:34 PM

82 posts, read 246,607 times
Lightbulb attitude is everything

you spoke of your father several times....what does he say to your "rants"?? he sounds like he has business interests in town and connections in general...if you are that "keyed" in to st.louis you would know that this is a city that works on nepotism and if you don't have connections, you better have a great attitude and a desire to achieve, look good on paper, and have a decent appearance...you're an educated guy, you are verbal, maybe you should analyze your demeanor you display

you sound like my kid and here's what i told him,"you are young,if you're not happy where you are in life...move...go for it...whatever "it" is...i think you joked that you are bitter, but damn you sound too bitter for a young guy...wait until life beats you down for about another 20 or 30 years before you start bitching

i wish you luck...but a change in attitude could help you immensely

Old 10-08-2008, 08:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevio63 View Post
wait until life beats you down for about another 20 or 30 years before you start bitching

i wish you luck...but a change in attitude could help you immensely
well said, I said the same damn thing a few pages back, he should walk in my stilettos a bit, try breaking a few glass ceilings.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:41 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
OP, dontcha think you might be a little more accepted and understood on 4chan?
They embrace and encourage folks of your mindset, just a suggestion......

Old 10-09-2008, 05:05 PM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
well said, I said the same damn thing a few pages back, he should walk in my stilettos a bit, try breaking a few glass ceilings.

uhoh we got a McCain/Palin supporter!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:46 AM

395 posts, read 1,374,742 times
man, desperado, the more i read your posts, the more annoyed i get.

[mod cut personal attack] And i'm doing this post to do people a favor who might happen to stumble upon this thread and become dumber or get stupid thoughts in their heads for reading their posts.

Example of your ignorance on what other people think:
"I'm always the guy that stands out like a sore thumb like woah what is that guy doing in here...did he get lost on his way to mowing my lawn lol." (riiiiiight. people these days, huh. what do you have like three eyes or something? or is it your cro-magnon appearance and deformed frontal lobe that makes you stick out)

"I've been taken seriously...Beijing (international cities) because they have seen guys like me before" (pleeeez, have the really??? NONSENSE! No they haven't. They don't care. You're a foreigner. You're not cool. You're someone they can make money off of or someone they can practice english with. Or you're a nigerian who sells drugs. I'm sad you didn't learn well in beijing about the world.)

"I'm always the guy that stands out like a sore thumb like woah what is that guy doing in here" (i'll put this in again for effect)

"I grew up here in a great community and everyone in my community is fascinated of the fact that an educated blaxican exists "wow you go to college ey?!"" (wow, what species or tribe was this community? it must be interesting living amongst the natives who know not the world.)

[mod cut - unnecessary] I just don't buy the rant. I really don't think people, maybe some, really honestly care what your race is. You describe people of stl seeing you as people of a remote african village seeing a white person for the first time. THATS BS. I've been to STL so many times. People are liberal. People are conservative. People are very educated (the smartest person in the world with the highest IQ i think is from stl). People are international. People are local. There are many foreigners, immigrants and students. Many different walks of life. It's a freaking city. People don't care what you are looking at you and make assumptions. That's all in your head. Maybe some do, but the majority don't. Don't flatter yourself on how "different" you are.

Just from your words and the way you describe things, you seem like a typical kid I know with low self esteem. [mod cut - unnecessary]I'm just a couple years older than you, I hang. I chill. I kick it. And dude man, i would NOT want to hang out with you, especially [mod cut - language] the things you say.

In stl, where my cousins reside and i spend a lot of time, we kick it with so many international folk. We all hang and have fun. Here's a list of countries and backgrounds of people we had:
tahiti, france, germany, brazil, paraguay, ecuador, argentina india, iran, iraq, china, taiwan, japan, vietnam. We would not have fun with you. We like House music. And bachata. And meringue. And forro. And hip hop. And top 40. And reggaeton. And bangra. And country. And samba.

You stated before that a SLU kid called you a Sp*c or something. [mod cut - unnecessary] SLU kids come from all around the world and country and all walks of life. He could've been from Indiana from all you know. He was probably [mod cut - unnecessary]either joking or drunk.

"uh oh we got a palin supporter" - so what? is that "uncool" for someone to support those views. Oh jeez, you wouldn't want to be caught dead not making a comment mocking mccain in front of your yuppie and "cultured" friends right? KSHE girl is sooooo not cultured, omfgz, how dare her... You're soooo cultured man...geez I wanna be like you. How did you become so cultured??? Ohhhh teaching English in china, WOW you're so unique and adventurous. I've never heard that before. Oh no, its because youre half black and mexican. That's why. Your race, being a combination no one's ever heard of...so mysterious and taboo, so exotically rare...ur so cool and unique man. can't believe the girls in the lou aren't givin the love.

I'm not a mccain supporter, so i can bash you for that one. But still dude, you're so typical, nothing new...stop trying so hard to make yourself like that. You follow almost every stereotype. I stand by my observation that you're the epitome of someone w/ and identity crisis amidst a personal journey to search for more "culture" who finds his cure for his personal problems as adapting yuppie cultural awareness and self proclaiming yourself as an elitist.

Please move to the bronx. Please do. There's a lot of black mixed hispanic Bronxoids there. Please live there for a few years. Please cling to people, follow them, because they look like you, and say "we look the same, let's talk about culture and go to a house club together." Or please come to chicago and try to kick it with guys west of western up here. Just walk the streets and try to be cultured like them and bathe in being diverse and revel in the culture you share. Hold hands too. (that's what men in bangladesh do, so why not be cultured like them?)

I'm calling you out dude, not just because im trying to be a douche, but because i want to set the record straight for the people here. they might not get where you're coming from but I DO. Because I have a similar background. [mod cut - unnecessary] i also lived in asia for a while...imagine that!!!

Last edited by aragx6; 10-10-2008 at 02:50 PM..

Old 10-10-2008, 10:17 AM

418 posts, read 1,280,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Everyone seems to think that St. Louis is this ultra racist town, while Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles get this love for being so racially inclusive. The fact is that racism is an American problem, not exclusive to the Lou. Chicago is just as racist if not more racist than St. Louis and has the history of race riots to prove it. Its just that a lot of times bigger and more cosmopolitan cities can better hide racism in their diversity and progressive politics. Another things is that St. Louis is not a bad city by any means. When I used to live there I felt the same way as you and then I moved to Florida. Ya know the sunny, diverse place under Georgia.....and let me tell you, when you live in a place like Tampa for a couple years you realize that culturally St. Louis has a lot to offer (world class Zoo, historical charm, beloved sport teams, local foods and pizza, a quirky culture) you start missing St. Louis after a while. oh yeah cliques are everwhere get over it!
Chicago just as racist or more? Sorry no.

St. Louis has a major racial problem. I don't know if white people are racist there, but everytime i've been there the black people i've met are extremely racist towards white people.

If this wasn't the general consensus from most visitors based on what they have seen, then no one would even make a post like this....

Old 10-10-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
as for McDonalds in China it was awesome...the burgers and fries were just the same...they didnt have chicken nuggets which sucked but they did have chicken sandwiches that were so much better since they used fresh local chicken.
You would be surprised...some american guys came over and opened up a chain of NY/Chicago pizza places some other guys opened 2 american diners and a mexican company came over and opened up a branch of this mexican chain called el fogoncito which serves authentic tacos...
To the chinese i was that one guy everyone thought was from india that had a good job...
They really do hate some black people though lol...they did round up some africans and start beating them and messed up by beating an ambassador's son...I can agree that at least i dont have to deal with that! But I had a good job! But lets get off of china i got a little off topic there...China isn't my country...the US is.

As for living differently...my own familiy does...I am actually the first person on either side of my family to finish high school and go to college as well. My parents had me at 17 and I remember what it was like being poor by American standards....Even my father who is an immigrant to this country from the slums outside of mexico city and not even a U.S. citizen criticizes STL on a daily basis which is probably where I started getting it from...My father sends money to our family in mexico that lives under the poverty line and I have stayed with them...With my mother's family the family history is depressing with the worst for me being my only male cousin getting shot and killed at Martin Luther King & Cora...While I traveled around China and southeast asia I experienced how these people lived...especially in Cambodia which I love...I hate the idea of staying in some 5 star hotel and staying around tourists I make sure I see how the locals live when I travel and eat where the locals eat, go to the places which the locals go. I stayed in family run guesthouses everywhere i went for an avg of $4 a night and just took in as much as I could.
I know how it is I know things could be worse...Ive always been brought up with the ideal that i must work for what i want...I was by no means spoiled and as soon as I reached working age I was told to buy my own furniture, clothing and anything else I wanted and as far as my father was concerned his only obligation to me was food in my stomach and a roof over my head which made me a stronger person.
I also have a real nasty temper as you have seen but it takes certain things to provoke it.

I am not your typical kind of guy...
I am overly frustrated with my own home...
I expect a lot more here and I stand by that expectation.
[mod cut language] where the hell did that post come [mod cut language]! I haven't even posted in ages

[mod cut references deleted portion of another post]
I keep to myself, I never really get into rants in open discussion, don't like talking politics and all that bs...In my free time I love to go out and just enjoy myself.

[mod cut language]I basically came to terms with [mod cut language]I was saying and took in all of the good points...

[mod cut references deleted portion of another post]

Friends I have plenty of. I am out 6 or 7 nights a week right now im talking to you hung over [mod cut language], most of the time I am on this forum which I found randomly and started posting on out of boredom I am getting my bearings straight. I know the whole industry crowd my family is in the club business Im always out talking meeting some decent girls. [mod cut inappropriate]Yuppie friends? hahahha. I'll say I only have a few "very good friends" in STL who I will always have in my life and keep close to me...friends that are actually doing something with their lives. Not a very good thing but most of my "buddies" in STL aren't yuppies
I'm always around the club/bar/restaurant industry crowd and they're just trying to have a good time. I'm not afraid to say [mod cut language] in a certain setting...put me in a professional setting i'll keep my opinions to myself...

The SLU kid thought the dirty mexican thing would be something funny to say to all his frat boy buddies at Laclede St. I always keep everything to myself I am a very personal kind of guy when it comes to my own sh*t...
I did most of my venting since high school just training in MMA and fighting a few bouts in the golden glove circuit...Now that I'm a bit older and a little more relaxed and no longer interested in fighting it seems like in the past couple of weeks I've made my vent a forum which I shouldn't have done.

I know I said it before...I'm the easygoing guy everyone turns to for advice or when they need someone to talk to.
Question my intelligence all you want, I am confident in my own ability...
as for being depressed, I really dont think so...I would call it frustration.
People turn to the strangest places when they are looking for answers but I did approach it the wrong way going on my angry rants, blinded, refusing to accept anything other than someone who agreed with me...

I owned up to my own bs in the previous post...you didnt come back hard until everyone else started accusing you of being a [mod cut language]
so make like McCain and attack me some more since it's the popular thing to do. Come on! Everybody's doing it!
[mod cut take it to the politics forum]
Keep up with the self promoting bs.
Sorry for my angry rants folks...Even though its my home I know how offensive and unflattering it is to have your home attacked and ridiculed by someone.
I'm an overly frustrated young'un who just needs to keep his focus, get out, and pursue whatever it is I want to pursue...
As for why I'm so frustrated about not being able to get a minimum wage job IDK...

[mod cut language]

Last edited by aragx6; 10-10-2008 at 02:55 PM..

Old 10-10-2008, 11:23 AM

[mod cut - references deleted post]
I did come off as ignorant in my posts out of blind frustration...it's not how I talk or portray myself in a social setting.

I noticed that you didn't change your tone until other people in the forum started criticizing you...

Yeah the economy sucks...I'm frustrated.

Last edited by aragx6; 10-10-2008 at 02:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis