Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,878 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for housing and have never been to St. Louis. We're looking at a place around the intersection of Ravenhill Dr. and Deerwood. Can anyone chime in about this specific neighborhood? No children, so schools aren't an issue. Just looking for a nice, safe neighborhood. Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 02:08 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,646,457 times
I guess my questions are what are you looking for in a home and how much you can spend? What kind of neighborhood do you like? What do you do in your spare time? If you answered some of those questions we can guide you better. Affton is probably heaven for some and hell for others, just depends what you like.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:15 PM

We've found a possible home that we like so I suppose my question is more about the area. Being that we've never been there and won't be able to visit prior to our move, making sure the area that we move to is a decent area with low crime is important. We basically want to be in a neighborhood that is fairly quiet and safe. In our spare time we love to get outdoors, so being close to parks is a plus. We also have a dog so a relatively dog-friendly neighborhood is a nice plus too.

Does that help? I didn't answer some of your questions, but that's primarily because we've already found a house we're interested in.

Thanks

Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,843,170 times
If it helps, you can see it on Google Streetview. It's not the same as being there, but you can get an idea of what the neighborhood looks like.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, and it has helped, but I was hoping to get more of an opinion for those who may have been in that neighborhood or are familiar with it.

Cheers!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,646,457 times
You're close to Grant's Farm, it's an older area, houses built in the 60s (mostly ranches) for the most part, plenty of restaurants along Gravois and Watson and there's plenty of grocery shopping in the area- Dierbergs, Schnucks and Shop 'n Save being the three big STL chains (the former being the most expensive/nice, the latter the least)

As far as suburbs go, it's a nice one, but without knowing more about what you want it's hard to know what to say to help you.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:59 AM

214 posts, read 692,096 times
I don't know because I've not been there. But I asked a friend, a St. Louis native who told me Affton is a neighborhood of rusted out junk cars and the like.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:31 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,843,170 times
Just from what I saw on Google StreetView it looked okay.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:15 AM

10 posts, read 54,973 times
Affton isn't dangerous, but it isn't "up and coming" by any means... it's older homes with older residents. It does have a rep. for being kind of a "trashy" neighborhood, but by no means is it filled with cars on blocks and trailers. It's just a older, but nice area with mostly retired home owners. The area you described is not "trashy" considering it's proximity to the St. Louis Hills area across the river, it is also right by Wilmore park which is a great and safe park!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis