Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2023, 09:33 PM

200 posts, read 324,417 times

Advertisements

Hi I just Moved Here in St. Louis (Shrewsbury) about a little over 1 year ago. Unfortunately, I Don't (More Like "Can't") Drive according to a Doctor in NYC. Even tho' I come from NYC, I used to live in Nashville, TN for 4 months. I'm a musician & while I was living there it was hard for me to pay my rent while I was working part-time at a job that was unrelated to in the music industry. I was renting out a room from someone, living Next "Door" to "Percy Priest Lake". Although I was working at "Staples" working w/ a Career Coach to help me find a Full Time job in Music Industry or Performing Arts or Art Museum I was looking at Apartments all at the same time as well as Making A Lot of Visits to "Hamilton Creek" part of "Percy Priest Lake".

So on my days off I made A LOT of Trips to the Lake. It REALLY helped me w/ CLEARING My Thoughts so instead of wasting $$ on a Counselor I would Visit "Percy".

However, during the 4th month I ran out of $$ & the career coach I had did Not work out for me so I was "forced" Financially to Go Back to live w/ my parents in NYC. I Wasn't Happy at all. Things fell apart. The $$ I saved for 4 months & the "Garuntee" that my coach promised me didn't work out, the neighborhoods w/ the cheap apartments weren't any good, my job I was in wasn't enough to cover me for more than 4 months And I Couldn't Find ANY Jobs in the Arts, Music Industry, the Art Museum, Galleries, etc., etc.

But w/ all of this being said I Loved the MidWest/South culture (the laid back environment, people, weather, AND 'PERCY").. Last yr. a Career Coach in NJ worked in the NonProfit Arts who helped me Find a MidWest/South State that had Jobs in the ARTS Field. W/ my research St. Louis, MO popped up. I Love that St. Louis HAS MORE of the Arts (Art Museum, Creative Arts Ctnr., etc.etc.) Rent is CHEAP, ThGreat Weather (Love BiPolar), Laid Back No Rudeness, And NO PRESSURE Of a Big Music Scene (there Are Musicians, but they're Friendlier No Competition. ). BUT

I want to Find a Lake that has Islands like "PERCY PRIEST" Here in MO in General.

I've made some Musician Acquaintances & went back to my music working on other past songs w/ other people. I Can't Find a Lake Like "Percy". I've been to "Creve Couer" & seen pics of "The Ozarks" & "Table Rock", but I don't See Islands Scattered like "PERCY".

Here Are Some Pics: (See The Islands they have Shores to walk around)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Location...Tennessee.html

Percy Priest Lake

So,
Can Anyone tell me what Lakes that have ISLANDS OUTSIDE (Or if there's any INSIDE) the St. Louis Area

Or Even IN MO??

B/c I want someone to float me over so I can spend 1 night over on an Island.

(Btw. a METRO AREA like St. Louis Manhattan ISN'T the ONLY Area of NY to see. There's Other Parts of NY that people go to like UPSTATE - LAKE GEORGE, ROCKLAND CTY, CatSkills Mountains, etc.).

I'm willing to Travel like an Uber, Bus, etc. (saw I can take a plane for 1 Hr. & Lyft to go to "Table Rock").

Anyway, I'm open to any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 01:01 AM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
Well, it's quite a bit smaller, but about the only Missouri location I can find that meets your lake islands condition is Tebo Islands State Wildlife Management Area. Located in the western part of the state near the town of Warsaw, Tebo Islands is rather dwarfed by Percy Priest Lake at 211 acres in size. It's only accessed by boat, and part of the Harry S Truman Reservoir Management Lands.

There's some other islands in Missouri, but they're surrounded by rivers instead of lakes, such as Pelican Island in north St. Louis County, specifically at Sioux Passage Park. Definitely also worth checking out, and much closer to Shrewsbury. This island, surrounded by the Missouri River, is 2,260 acres in size. More info at https://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/p...d-natural-area . I don't know if you can stay there overnight, but Sioux Passage is a very pretty park - at least it was when I lived near there in the 1980s.

Hope this helps get you started!

Old 09-19-2023, 03:53 PM

396 posts, read 653,479 times
It looks like it is nowhere near developed as Percy Priest but lake Carlyle is in Illinois a quick 1 hour drive and is a big sailboat lake -

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/gateways/1686

Old 09-19-2023, 09:56 PM

589 posts, read 1,107,242 times
Islands aside, because most of our lakes do not have that, Lake of the Ozarks is the most developed lake, with commerce very close to the lake. In the St. Louis area Creve Couer is public and I hear utilized a lot. More residential, Lake St Louis in St Charles county i have heard is also popular for water activities.

Again, not island but there are several state parks that offer camping and are not far from the St. Louis metro area. Elephant Rocks, Tom Sau Mountain and Mark Twain National Forest are quite beautiful (no lake, but there is Johnson's Shut Inn's).

I hope this gives you some additional insight to our eastern side of the state, and sorry I can not provide you a better comparison to your TN lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis