Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 02:09 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,667,509 times

Advertisements

So we had a fun Blues chat going, so I thought I'd start one for the Cardinals. I had to buy that mlb.tv package they offer online so I could watch all the games up here in Cubs country.

I hate west coast games btw. Stayed up late to watch the game last night only to see them lose... and now I'm sleepy!

Oh and I'm excited- my Ankiel jersey will be here in just 6-10 business days... yay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 02:33 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,810,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
So we had a fun Blues chat going, so I thought I'd start one for the Cardinals. I had to buy that mlb.tv package they offer online so I could watch all the games up here in Cubs country.

I hate west coast games btw. Stayed up late to watch the game last night only to see them lose... and now I'm sleepy!

Oh and I'm excited- my Ankiel jersey will be here in just 6-10 business days... yay!
MLB extra innings tv package via cable or satellite is much better than the online mlbtv btw.

So far I see a team in need of offense, an on their way overused bullpen, that needs a few innings eaters in the rotation. I'd say so if I thought it, but I'm not high on this year's team. I also am lukewarm to any contribution of Mulder and Carpenter this season and how much and hard they can go. I see too many missing pieces.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:53 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,667,509 times
Well my brother and I are splitting the mlb.tv package since he likes to watch lots of out-of-market games and I want to see the cardinals, so it ends up being only $60 for the season, so while the quality isn't as great, it's worth the cost savings. (Which went straight back to mlb for the purchase of my new jersey!)

I don't disagree with any of your statements, though I try to be a bit more optimistic. I think we have guys who are capable of hitting, we'll just have to see if they go out there and do it every night.

I have starter concerns, as would probably anyone who follows the team, but they've played far better than I would have expected before the season got going, and we can't do much now but hope they continue to pitch as well as they have.

I couldn't agree more about the likely possibilities of an overused bullpen, that is without a doubt my biggest concern with the team in general and our pitching in specific.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:57 PM

51 posts, read 64,078 times
Wow, Cards are 7-3! That's a nice little jump they got going there. I can't wait to catch some games this year.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:33 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,810,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Well my brother and I are splitting the mlb.tv package since he likes to watch lots of out-of-market games and I want to see the cardinals, so it ends up being only $60 for the season, so while the quality isn't as great, it's worth the cost savings. (Which went straight back to mlb for the purchase of my new jersey!)

I don't disagree with any of your statements, though I try to be a bit more optimistic. I think we have guys who are capable of hitting, we'll just have to see if they go out there and do it every night.

I have starter concerns, as would probably anyone who follows the team, but they've played far better than I would have expected before the season got going, and we can't do much now but hope they continue to pitch as well as they have.

I couldn't agree more about the likely possibilities of an overused bullpen, that is without a doubt my biggest concern with the team in general and our pitching in specific.

I actually don't think the Cardinals have the offense. Schumaker is not an everyday outfielder, and neither is Duncan. Ankiel will be an average MLB player combining his good defense with solid if unspectacular offense with a lot of holes in his swing. Ludwick, again, not an everday player. Izturis, not an everyday player anymore and never could hit. Troy Glaus will be solid if stays healthy, getting up in age with those knees, but he'll be fine ...won't hit for average but will provide some pop.

I don't like the Cardinals offense at all.

Where the Cardinals will be better than people think is defense. The defense will overachieve this year, but the offense is below average, bullpen average, starting pitching is below average. You do not have to be great or dominant in one thing to achieve success or balance, but you can't be below average in several categories and the Cardinals are at this point.

In 2009 if Mulder is healthy all season and better than he's been and Carpenter can pitch without restrictions that he'll face in 2008, combined with Wainright etc...starters will be fine. Rasmus should be ready by then and the team will have to add at least one bat that can hit for avg and power with high on base percentage.

The Brewers and Cubs can rake, ...can really hit with their lineups. Brewers have some defense issues, and back of rotation issues, and Cubs some pitching issues. But both are in better shape than Stl. And, even Cincinnatti has 3 young arms I like a lot for their rotation moving forward.

I don't think the Cardinals can keep up with what they have for a full season.

I'm very optimistic. I'm just being objective.

And what the Cubs please tell me why Fukudome isn't hitting 2nd in their lineup? And why Ryan Theriot is at the top of the lineup so often. What's the over under those no brainers?

One simply cannot expect Mulder or Carpenter to pitch more than 5 innings in many games this year when and if they play, nor to not be rusty or to be consistent. That isn't fair or realistic. Ryan Franklin's velocity is down a bit this year, Springer with health issues, and has already overachieved in Stl.

Cards need top of rotation help, and need a couple of more players who can have high on base and slugging percentages.

The start has been fun and encouraging. But I won't be jumping up and down after ten games. The positive is that there is a great opportunity in the Central division without one dominant team.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:06 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,770,366 times
My son and hubby were in town last weekend for games - was a gorgeous weekend and had a good time. This was the first they had seen the new stadium - they were impressed!

Old 04-12-2008, 07:57 PM

48 posts, read 150,402 times
Redbirds 9-3.....Good start, Go Cards!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 08:53 AM

81 posts, read 377,387 times
Yep, yesterday's game was a nailbiter!!! And the only game of the year not scheduled to be televised! LOL.

I've been a rabid fan since a kid, even spending 15 years in Texas didn't dim my enthusiasm but I'm not a 'stat' fan. It amazes me what LaRussa can do with what people term as 'average' players that won't amount to much! I was a bit disappointed with all the changes this year, because like everyone, I have my favorites that went bye-bye but we ARE getting off to a good start and they look like a scrappy bunch who wants to win! They may surprise a few folks. But then, it is only the 2nd week of the season. Long way to go!!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,456,211 times
Just listening to announcer John Rooney on MLB.com's Gameday Audio and our Redbirds are down 6 to 2 in the seventh. I don't share Fishtaco's pessimism about the Cardinals' offense (although I'll always be a Whiteyball fan and miss Vince Coleman, Ozzie and Willie McGee tearing up the basepaths). Pujols, Ankiel and Chris Duncan can all hit for power, but it seems like the team's going to steal 50 or 60 bases at the most. I'm just hoping Chris Carpenter will be OK when he comes off the DL. If Mark Mulder can do anything when he comes back, I figure it'll be gravy.

Looper has a good outing, then an awful outing, then another good outing.... The Izzy Man's doing really good so far, just blowing one save yesterday but looking untouchable otherwise. Thanks, aragx, for starting this thread!

Old 04-13-2008, 08:25 PM

81 posts, read 377,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
(although I'll always be a Whiteyball fan and miss Vince Coleman, Ozzie and Willie McGee tearing up the basepaths).
Hear, hear!! Though Tommy Herr set my teenage heart all aflutter. And I LOVED Joaquin Andujar. He had such a temper but was unstoppable when he was on his game. Those were the days!

-Rhonda
Olivette, MO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis