Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:35 AM

4 posts, read 8,455 times

Advertisements

I will be in St. Louis on business, & would like to also shop. I am staying either at the Hyatt or Sheraton in downtown, and just learned about the crime rate. I am seriously concerned that I may drive into a bad area of town. I would like to get some good shopping in, but now I'm afraid to even leave my hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 08:31 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,848,476 times
You'll be fine usually. I would be weary about going north of Martin Luther King Drive, but there's usually nothing to see there anyway. Be careful in East St. Louis (if you need to go over there). Where are you going shopping it? Union Station has some nice little shops there. I wouldn't be worried about leaving your hotel. Most of St. Louis is as safe as any other city. As far as I know, the only real dangerous areas to avoid are parts of North and East St. Louis, and you shouldn't need to go there anyway.

If a place looks rundown, just don't go into it. A lot of crime in cities is domestic and drug-related, which is obviously bad as well, but not usually random.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the crime. Just do your shopping, stay out of places that look shady, and be smart about it (like don't leave valuable stuff in plain sight in your car and lock it).

Old 03-22-2008, 09:03 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,212,494 times
Avoid East St Louis

Old 03-22-2008, 10:38 AM

572 posts, read 1,997,543 times
If you need a "massage" or enjoy the art of pole dancing, you need to go to East St. Louis. No need to be afraid and bring money.
Otherwise, from downtown, travel west. Go to Grand Center, the Central West End, Forest Park and Clayton. visit the musems, shops and restaurants. Don't forget to drive south from downtown to visit the neighborhoods of Lafayette Sq. & Soulard.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:54 AM

386 posts, read 1,693,988 times
Most of St. Louis is fine. Louie is right--anything west of your hotel would be completely safe. Downtown is like any other downtown--typically safe, lots going on, and just keep your eyes peeled at night. There's plenty of shopping at Union Station and if you head west to Brentwood there's the Galleria Mall, Plaza Frontenac (in Frontenac), and other great shopping areas. You'll find more BMWs than cop cars in those areas so there's nothing to worry about.

East St. Louis can also be a fulfilling experience--but most visitors prefer touring the area with a piece and and a can of mase. But...hey...to each his own, right?

Old 03-22-2008, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 36,499 times
I visited St. Louis for the first time last summer and have since been back a few times. I really enjoyed myself and felt in no more danger than any other big city I've visited. But we only were downtown one day to see the arch. We wandered (during the daytime) around the arch and hit some restaurants within walking distance and never had any issues. On my second visit we went out west of the city towards some of the wineries and had a blast...it's gorgeous!

Old 03-22-2008, 01:39 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,930,097 times
I would browse around some of the shops on Washington Ave Downtown and at Lumiere Place as well.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:06 PM

287 posts, read 351,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Avoid East St Louis
East St. Louis is a city in Illinois. It is not the "eastern part" of the city of St. Louis. Can you name one reason, marmac, why the OP might be crossing the Mississippi in to Illinois?

Old 03-22-2008, 07:08 PM

287 posts, read 351,531 times
^ And I would also avoid Union Station, but not because it is a dangerous area, but because it is a tourist trap of a mall. You won't catch too many locals in Union Station, because we know what it is.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:21 PM

200 posts, read 633,473 times
The whole crime rate stats has been skewed as mentioned in previous posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis