Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 10:48 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

the Woolworths building has been restored, it looks gorgeous!
Here is a link to built st louis, check it out!
Built St. Louis: The Woolworth Building
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 01:54 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
Default Very cool

WOW !!!

Did that ever surprise me. I haven't been down in that part of the city since I was 12 years old. LET'S JUST SAY...A VERY LONG TIME AGO.

I also remember the marakos (sp?) chocolate candy down there, too. They had THE BEST chocolate. Wish they never would of went out of business. I remember one of their stores at NW.Plaza that my Mom & I would go. It was also just outside of the Woolworth's on the lower level.

Ahhhhhhh.......... the memories.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:55 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
WOW !!!

Did that ever surprise me. I haven't been down in that part of the city since I was 12 years old. LET'S JUST SAY...A VERY LONG TIME AGO.

I also remember the marakos (sp?) chocolate candy down there, too. They had THE BEST chocolate. Wish they never would of went out of business. I remember one of their stores at NW.Plaza that my Mom & I would go. It was also just outside of the Woolworth's on the lower level.

Ahhhhhhh.......... the memories.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
We lived in St Charles when I was little, we would shop at NW Plaza, and go to Mavrakos, I loved that place! I hear there are no more stores .

Old 01-19-2009, 09:43 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
We lived in St Charles when I was little, we would shop at NW Plaza, and go to Mavrakos, I loved that place! I hear there are no more stores .
No they sold out many years ago.
They had the best chocolate.
My Mom loved their real black jelly beans.
They also had the best caramel apples around halloween. YUM
Did I mention...THE BEST CHOCOLATE

Old 01-19-2009, 07:53 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Mustn't forget Crown Candy Kitchen on 14th St. and St. Louis Ave. Also, one of the very, very best around, Goody-Goody Diner, and it is still in business:.....http://goodygoodydiner.com check this one out. Great food and great memories. It is worth it.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:17 AM

5 posts, read 11,623 times
There is a Talayna's Jukebox on Hampton between Hwys 40 and 44. Good Pizza. There is also a franchise located on Gravois at Holly Hills.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 AM

RickMG,

Thanks for info about Luigi's pizza. My mom is so excited to try it. We're probably going to swing by there this evening and try some pizza.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:41 PM

"Luigi's Pizza" was delicious. Thanks so much.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 27,597 times
OMG! I just found this web site today and have sooo enjoyed reading of other's memories of STL. I lived there 1954 - 2000. Here's my list of favorite memories....

Hearing about Gaslight Square as a child, and when I was old enough to go there it was gone.
Sleigh riding down Art Hill then busting my butt when I landed on the frozen pond at the bottom.
Taking a bus to RiverRoads with girlfriends to "shop" on Saturdays.
Ice Skating at Steinburg Rink.
Around '67 there was a phone number we could call and be able to talk with a bunch of people all at once, I guess we could call it a pre-historic chat room. We'd gather up a dime and walk to the phone booth at Kingshighway and W. Florisant and call/chat with strangers....so much fun.
School Picnics at the Highlands - too young to ride the big roller coaster, but rode the "Bobsled" with my Dad many times.
Hated selling those Booster Posters to finance the picnics.
Going to Sunday matinee at the Rio or Tower theaters...smoking in the john.
Watching people at Union Station on Sundays....touring the underground going from US to the riverfront.
Mrs. Hoffman's 8th grade class at Mark Twain - class of '68. Best teacher.
Playing hide n seek and the gas street light was "base".
Shock and awe when White Castle raised their price of a burger to a dime!!
Seeing Woodstock, the movie, at 270 Drive In.
Shopping at Katz on the circle on Sundays - only place open on Sundays back then.
Crown Candy on 14th St. a chocolate malt was split 3 ways with us kids and filled us all.
Evergreen 3-1471
Getting a zip code - who could ever remember ALL those numbers - went from zone 15 to 63115.
Lived on Vera Ave. near Hubbell-Metals and Quality Dairy.

I come back each year to visit my girlfriends from back then, some from before Kindergarten. We laugh, talk, share tales & pictures then round off the evening with a gooey butter coffee cake. Doing this for 35 years now. Anxious to hear from others that lived in the Walnut Park area ....

Old 02-12-2009, 06:52 PM

57 posts, read 186,864 times
Quirky, I identify with you, too. What memories! I also remember as a teenager a bunch of us pooled our resources and got 38 cents worth of gasoline. The attendant laughed so hard he spilled that much on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis