Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:06 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,858 times

Advertisements

If you are worried about the price of a private school, there are a lot of scholarship programs. Be sure to check out Soulard School, which has a sliding fee scale. Most of the private schools are more "diverse" than the public schools, at least in the city limits.

If you are worried about the diversity in the suburban schools, many of them are still participating in the desegregation program. University City is not a participant, but they are already a majority African-American school district anyway.

The University City schools are not great academically, but they are safe and they will provide an good education for those students and parents who want to learn. Many of the St. Louis Public Schools are not safe. A lot of the charter and magnet schools aren't that much better. If you must have public schools, then stick to UCity, and also check out the Maplewood schools to the south. Those areas look and feel like the city. The affluent Clayton and Webster Groves districts also border the city and are considered top school districts, but they are very expensive areas to live in. Affton school district is to the south, and is a little suburban, but is very diverse since the Bosnians have been moving to the area in droves. In most large cities, these areas would be part of the city proper, but due to local politics they remain suburbs.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 04:32 PM

238 posts, read 332,075 times
I was going to say that you should check out the magnet schools. From what I understand they do a pretty good job of educating the kids.

As far as the district's problems go, I think that it's emblematic of some of the problems that the city has over-all. That is that the school board has been ground zero for the fighting between the city's north side and it's south side. Also for years the board of education was a hot bed for city patronage jobs.

Some of the problems stem from the concentration of poverty inside the city limits. I also think that part of it is a spending problem....if you look at the gross numbers spent, it doesn't look that bad...but when you look at what they spend the money for....then you see the problem.

The city schools spend way too much on administration and transportation and not enough on education!

Right now, if you plan on living in the city....I'd consider private schools and factor the tuition in as part of your tax bill.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:33 PM

114 posts, read 818,965 times
All great feedback and you all are putting me on a good path of research. I have another question which is: How difficult are inter-city transfers? Can I send my kids to one school district and live in another?

Old 02-26-2008, 07:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I'm pretty sure that's about impossible. I had a friend who technically lived with his grandmother in our school district instead of St. Charles, but that required a lot of lying and a relative willing to do the same.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 AM

TGS opens up a good point. It's far too simplistic for anyone to say all regular publics are bad and all magnets are good. Some of the magnets are little better than the regular public schools, but it's also important to note that several of the magnets are some of the best schools in the state. It's really up to each parent to do that research and decide which one's fit your child's needs best.

It's also important to know that many of the magnets and charters specialize in a certain area like Visual Arts or Science and Technology, and that means two things really.

1. Do you want to "track" your kid so early- some parents don't like that idea,
2. If you don't mind that, consider the school's specialty when looking at test scores. A bunch of Math and Tech kids probably won't score in the top percentiles in English.

Two of the schools I have heard being well respected are: Kennard (Gifted ed, Pre K- 6), Metro High School (General academics)

Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,858 times
Kennard and Metro are indeed some of the best schools in the state. However, the lotteries for those schools have already passed and there is a long waiting list. Her chances of enrolling her kids in these schools in the fall is zero.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:13 AM

The deadline for each year is in December. I did mention to check early and often.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:03 PM

114 posts, read 818,965 times
Thanks to all of you. I checked out Soulard School and indeed, it seems pretty cool with an active and involved group of parents. Don't know about the price yet. As for the magnets, I missed the deadline so I think I'll do the Webster Grove district. I have family there and since I won't know where I will live until the week I arrive, I'll use the family address. I guess STL schools are like everywhere else: Poor kids get the shaft. All your help has given me great insight!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:19 AM

238 posts, read 332,075 times
bissit...best of luck to you on your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis