Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,805 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My boyfriend and I are an interracial (black/white) 20-something couple, and will be moving to St. Louis.

What is the climate like for couples like us in the city? As of now, we are living in a Chicago suburb, and we definitely get dirty looks sometimes, but not often.

I read an article about the internet outrage a picture of an interracial couple on a St. Louis magazine sparked, and I guess it makes me a little wary of the move.

Here's the gawker article: [url=http://gawker.com/5211588/five-arguments-against-interracial-dating-from-missouri-rednecks]Five Arguments Against Interracial Dating, From Missouri Rednecks[/url]

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 11:11 PM

169 posts, read 269,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroughMyOwnEyes View Post
Hi all!

My boyfriend and I are an interracial (black/white) 20-something couple, and will be moving to St. Louis.

What is the climate like for couples like us in the city? As of now, we are living in a Chicago suburb, and we definitely get dirty looks sometimes, but not often.

I read an article about the internet outrage a picture of an interracial couple on a St. Louis magazine sparked, and I guess it makes me a little wary of the move.

Here's the gawker article: Five Arguments Against Interracial Dating, From Missouri Rednecks

What do you all think?

Interracial couples is going to revolve around having self confidence in yourself and your relationship. You want to believe in your relationship, otherwise why be in it? A relationship should be built on love, not what other people think or say. Remember that and be confident in what you are building together!

No matter what the public says or the looks that you get, don't worry about it. You love one another and you are stronger than that. In this generation, interracial couples are not the minority anymore, so just remember, you are not alone in the world and you should flaunt your relationship!

Old 11-16-2013, 08:35 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Wow, amazing that you found the article in the first place, since it happened back in 2009 time frame or so. You'll be fine here as an interracial couple, you're not alone, there are plenty of couples of mixed race around here...I know my street has several, and at least one same sex couple...The St. Louis Post Dispatch does get some fairly racist comments by folks around the region, but all in all, I'm almost CERTAIN those folks are a very vocal minority around here, who tends to throw their words around in print just to stir the pot.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:03 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroughMyOwnEyes View Post
Hi all!

Here's the gawker article: Five Arguments Against Interracial Dating, From Missouri Rednecks

What do you all think?
Your chances of having a problem aren't going to be any different than many other mid size top 20 city/metros. That is to mean that you are highly unlikely to have a problem. It's very common, accepted, and generally unnoticed. That doesn't speak for 100% of people everywhere, all the time, just as it doesn't in any geography. Racism, as well as other forms of discrimination, of all kinds are alive and well in 100% of metros in the country. Be it direct, overt, subtle, passive aggressive, etc...this goes for Chicago, and the coasts, as it does for places in between. The general numbers ate different, but isolated incidents can and do happen everywhere.
Even though St. Louis is in the Midwest, it is still a progressive enough, and large enough place, where the general numbers are on your side. It's possibly relevant to point out that the state overall, in general has changed somewhat in the past decade.

I also question any anonymous internet postings in terms of multiple screen names, sincerity of posts, purpose of posts, etc...with reference to that article from 4-5 years ago. Sometimes a very few anonymous people can create a big stir, if media and the general public allows it to happen. That's unfortunately more common today.

Specific to your situation, I don't believe you will be likely to have any problems, and I would have zero hesitation. It's common, accepted, and the norm for many. I speak from personal experience.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,596 times
I've lived here my entire life, and though St. Louis tends to be a very segregated city, I've also noticed that most people simply don't care about silly things like what color or sex your significant other is.

My immediate neighbors are an interracial couple, and for the past 5 years my partner has lived here with me. No one seems to care or notice, which, in my opinion, is how it should be.

I've seen plenty of other interracial couples here, as well, and I would say to my knowledge, nobody sees it as a big deal.

We gladly welcome you to our city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis